Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Creature Found Dead in Maine

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Strange Creature Found Dead in Maine

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14383883/?GT1=8404

Is dead beast the marauding ‘hybrid mutant’?
    Carcass may be that of legendary beast that terrorized Maine county

Updated: 10:32 p.m. ET Aug 16, 2006
    TURNER, Maine - Residents are wondering if an animal found dead over the weekend may be the mysterious creature that has mauled dogs, frightened residents and been the subject of local legend for half a generation.

The animal was found near power lines along Route 4 on Saturday, apparently struck by a car while chasing a cat. The carcass was photographed and inspected by several people who live in the area, but nobody is sure exactly what it is.

Michelle O'Donnell of Turner spotted the animal near her yard about a week before it was killed. She called it a "hybrid mutant of something."

"It was evil, evil-looking. And it had a horrible stench I will never forget," she told the Sun Journal of Lewiston. "We locked eyes for a few seconds and then it took off. I've lived in Maine my whole life and I've never seen anything like it."

For the past 15 years, residents across Androscoggin County have reported seeing and hearing a mysterious animal with chilling monstrous cries and eyes that glow in the night. The animal has been blamed for attacking and killing a Doberman pinscher and a Rottweiler the past couple of years.

People from Litchfield, Sabattus, Greene, Turner, Lewiston and Auburn have come forward to speak of a mystery monster that roams the woods. Nobody knows for sure what it is, and theories have ranged from a hyena or dingo to a fisher or coydog, an offspring of a coyote and a wild dog.

Now, people are asking if the mystery beast and the animal killed over the weekend are one and the same.

Vultures devour flesh
    Wildlife officials and animal control officers declined to go to Turner to examine the remains. By Tuesday, the carcass had been picked clean by vultures and there was not much left of the dead animal.

Loren Coleman, a Portland author and cryptozoologist, said it's unlikely that the animal was anybody's pet.

After reviewing photos of the carcass, Coleman said he was bothered by the animal's ears and snout. It reminded him of a case years ago in northern Maine in which an animal shot by a hunter could not be identified. In the end, wildlife officials got a DNA analysis that showed the animal was a rare wolf-dog hybrid, he said.

Mike O'Donnell, who is married to Michelle O'Donnell, said the animal looked "half-rodent, half-dog" to him.

It was charcoal gray, weighed between 40 and 50 pounds and had a bushy tail, a short snout, short ears and curled fangs hanging over its lips, he said. It looked like "something out of a Stephen King story."

"This is something I've never seen before. It's an evil-looking thing," he said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strange Creature Found Dead in Maine

I don't know what to say. . .

Where is the picture?

Oh I see it now. It is in the link.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 08-17-2006 at 10:04 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

(not intended as an Al Gore joke but intended as a reference to manbearpig)
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    I don't know what to say. . .
    How 'bout: "Here, puppy, puppy. Good critter."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,208683,00.html

This link has a better picture. You can save it to your desktop and then rotate it and zoom in.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I've dated scarier looking things than that.. Those Maine people are wimps
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

It sorta looks like a Chow and a Who-Knows-WHat!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I've dated scarier looking things than that.. Those Maine people are wimps
    Agreed, my first thought is that it is a wild dog that has is probably the combination of a coyote or coydog, and some large jaw breed/crossbreed like Rottweiler. Wild Dogs are very nasty things. We have one around right now that I am going to take down sometime soon. It stole a cat from our barnyard last week. My dad saw it and couldn't get it soon enough. I don't need that thing around my calves.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

at Fox News for breaking this story. A dog laying by the side of the road.

Now Chupacabras on the hand...

No doubt in my mind......

Manbearpig.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

If my aunt's dog ever gets hit by a car, there will be similar headlines.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

It's a friggin' DOG!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    I don't need that thing around my calves.
    Or your ankles.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    It's a friggin' DOG!
    What breed is friggin?

Doesn't Stephen King live in Maine? I say he had somethng to do with it?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?