Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We traded for another injured pitcher???

Yay!

We traded for another injured pitcher???

Newest Reds pitcher hurt already?
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS | It was after Wednesday night's game and the newest occupant of the Cincinnati Reds' bullpen, Scott Schoeneweis, walked to his locker wearing an ice bag on his left knee big enough to sink the Bismarck to the bottom of the sea.

And he didn't even pitch.

Some eyebrows raised around the clubhouse after all the problems with injuries to bullpen guys brought in from other teams Gary Majewski (shoulder), Eddie Guardado (forearm), Rheal Cormier (gluteus maximus).

Schoeneweis says it is nothing.

"A freakish thing," he said. "Did it about 10 days ago running in the outfield in Toronto. I lost my footing and slipped. I blew some stuff out in the back of my knee, but it is a non-issue as to whether I can pitch."

Meanwhile, manager Jerry Narron has to check daily on the availability of his closer (Guardado) and his left-handed set-up guy (Cormier).

"Guardado went six straight days without pitching, then pitched a game and wasn't available the next day," said Narron. "I was hoping if we could get him a lot of work it might help, but we haven't been able do that. We've gone both ways with it and neither has worked. Is it a concern? Yes. Yes, it is a concern."

The Cincinnati Twins?

Juan Castro, obtained in a trade with the Minnesota Twins, remains close friends with Johann Santana, Minnesota's nearly unhittable pitcher.

"I talked to him Friday and he said, 'Now what team do you play for, the Cincinnati Twins?' I told him, 'Hey, if you want to pitch here, come on down.'"

In addition to Castro, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky, former assistant GM with the Twins, has brought in former Twins Eddie Guardado, Kyle Lohse and Joe Mays. In addition, Javier Valentin and Eric Milton are ex-Twins.

Mercker's surgery

Pitcher Kent Mercker underwent surgery for 2 1/2 hours Thursday morning in Cincinnati from Dr. Tim Kremchek to re-attach the flexor tendon in his elbow and to completely reconstruct his ulnar collateral ligament. A tendon from his hamstring was used to rebuild the ligament.

Amazingly, after Mercker completely tore the ligament throwing a wild pitch to Ryan Howard, he stayed in the game and walked Howard, then threw a 90 mph fastball to get an inning-ending double play from Danny Sandovar.

Answer the phone(s)

A cell phone rang in Ken Griffey Jr.'s travel bag Thursday morning and he fished around a bit, eventually pulling out three cell phones and a Blackberry.

When he figured out which phone it was, "They all have different rings," he answered to find out that his mother, Bertie, was being prepped for what was going to be two hours of surgery to treat colon cancer.

"I'm the guinea pig for Cincinnati Bell," said Griffey. "When they come out with something new, I try it out for a while, then I sit down with them and tell them what I like and what I don't like."

The sole survivors

Todd Coffey sat near his locker before Thursday's game and at one point only he and David Weathers were in the clubhouse proper.

"The survivors," said Coffey. "Stormy (Weathers) and I are the only survivors from Opening Day, the only two guys left in the bullpen who were there on Opening Day."

You know things are strange when three pitchers on the staff wear numbers in the 60's and two are starters Bronson Arroyo (61) and Chris Michalak (63). In addition, bullpenners Scott Schoeneweis (60) and Eddie Guardado (81) wear football numbers.

Pitt not the pits

For those who believe the Reds have it easy the next three days, playing the last-place Pittsburgh Pirates, well don't mention the Mellon Center or pirogues around St. Louis manager Tony La Russa. His team lost three straight to the Pirates last weekend in Pittsburgh and were outscored 17-3.

"Not even close," said Reds manager Jerry Narron when asked about the possibility of his team taking the Pirates lightly. "Everybody knows they are much better than their record. They've played a lot of close games, a lot of one-run games."

The Pirates lead the majors with 42 one-run games and are 15-27. The Reds are 22-13.

The three-game series is expected to draw 100,000, with more than 30,000 already sold for tonight and Saturday.

"The crowds have been great and when the Cardinals were there, it was awesome," said Narron.

Find this article at:
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We traded for another injured pitcher???

Schoeneweis, Guardado, Cormier.

It's Bowden's fault.

like ugly dates, they are cheaper, give everything they have and are grateful for the opportunity

for some reason, I'm not surprised.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Your knee isnt important to pitching? Did he really say that?

This isn't a baseball team - it's a M*A*S*H unit!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Your knee isnt important to pitching? Did he really say that?
    he heard it from Eric Milton
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

....sigh....and so it continues.

I'm beginning to understand why Ryan Franklin pitched the 9th now.

He's all we've got!

I know he won't cost us much, but somebody PLEASE tell me that Krivsky knew about Schoeneweis "blowing out something in the back of his knee" before he acquired him, and had it checked out by Doc Hollywood first.

Please.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I just want to know what would happen if all 4 of Griffey's phones rang at once.

<Griffey> Ken Griffey, Junior, can you hold? Thanks!

<Griffey> Ken Griffey, Junior... Oh, Hi Marc. Can you hold? I've got another call. Thanks!

<Griffey> Ken Griffey, Junior... Uh, yes, I do need to talk to you about all of these phones you sent over. Can you hold? Thanks!

<Griffey> Ken Griffey, Junior... Hey, Wayne. No, I don't want to go to the Yankees. You lost that list of teams I gave you before, didn't you? Yeah, I can tell you what it was again. Can you hold for a minute first? Thanks!

eventually pulling out three cell phones and a Blackberry...."I'm the guinea pig for Cincinnati Bell," said Griffey. "When they come out with something new, I try it out for a while, then I sit down with them and tell them what I like and what I don't like."
    Anybody else read Jose Canseco's book? He said that players have a few phones for another reason. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy
    Anybody else read Jose Canseco's book? He said that players have a few phones for another reason. Just sayin'.
    if griffey screws around on the side who cares...i dont want holy rollers on my ball team, i want baseball players..

anyways this thread is making me more pissed than ever.
    i've been barking for over a month everyday how terrible Krivsky is.

i've gotten flamed, negative reputated (is that a word?), etc but its starting to come together.

eat crow. many of you. for overrating the dumb bastard. he was a last minute hire for a reason. he's been an assistant for a reason.

he's just not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    eat crow. many of you. for overrating the dumb bastard. he was a last minute hire for a reason. he's been an assistant for a reason.

he's just not that good.
    And somehow you are shocked when you get negged?

Amazing.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-18-2006 at 10:48 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    And somehow you are shocked when you get negged?

Amazing.
    amazing that u always show up after i post..e-stalker

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    amazing that u always show up after i post..e-stalker

Yea...caught me red handed. I sit around all day waiting for KalDanielsfan to post just so I can respond.

Dang, is my face red?

BTW, I post after A LOT of people on here post. Does that mean I am "stalking" them too?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Yea...caught me red handed. I sit around all day waiting for KalDanielsfan to post just so I can repond.

Dang, is my face red?
    i was wondering if they smell funny.

Turn Off Ads?