Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The comedy conintues ...

Re: The comedy conintues ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    no evidence of that
    OK, thanks. I didn't know.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Meanwhile, Matt Belisle continues to throw zeroes on the board so Schoenweiss can ice his knee.

ugh.
    I pointed out before the SS deal the best thing that could happen would be to get a healthy Standridge and Belisle back.

The love of veteran "experience" is really starting to weigh heavily.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Luck is the residue of design.... or so I hear.

Earl Weaver made a career out of leveraging those types of players into the proper place.

When Juan Castro represents 1.4% of your teams total at bats for the season that's a start in the right direction, last time he was in town he got 5.4% of the teams at bats.
    Not to mention the value of his post-homerun counseling sessions noted on the tele Weds. night. That was one of the best pickups George and Chris had all year.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher
    You're talking trees. I'm talking forest. The "pennant race like this one" wouldn't exist without Arroyo, Hatteberg, Phillips, Ross. Does that give Krivsly carte blanche to muck around or to pick up guys who are physically unabel to help? No. But if his scrap-heap diving produces one Phillips for every three Yans, that seems like a fair exchange rate for this year.
    Actually, the pennant crawl wouldn't exist if not for Mark Mulder, So Taguchi, Aaron Miles, Sidney Ponson, and all the other derelicts the Cardinals have trotted out there in an attempt to keep things interesting.

As it is, the Reds are at a point where everything counts and every mistake is magnified. "Small misses" like Ryan Franklin and Gary Majewski could cost the team a shot at the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    If he doesn't measure up to some people's expectations, that's not his fault. He is what he is, and maybe their expectations are too high.
    Personally, I only expected him to be Juan Castro -- late-inning defensive replacement for Felipe Lopez. My biggest disappointment is that he's received any ABs at all. 1.4% is still too much. (BTW - that's a percentage of the team's total ABs for the season. What percentage of ABs has he received since he was acquired in June?)
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-18-2006 at 11:40 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Seeing the man love Narron has shown for Franklin I am rooting for Majewski to come back.

Of course activating Belisle today should be a no-brainer, oh well.

"Small misses" like Ryan Franklin and Gary Majewski could cost the team a shot at the playoffs.
    Only if one assumes that the acquisitions of Arroyo, Phillips, etc., would have been made by anybody else in the GM chair, while the acquisitions of Majewski and Franklin would have been made only by Krivsky.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Only if one assumes that the acquisitions of Arroyo, Phillips, etc., would have been made by anybody else in the GM chair, while the acquisitions of Majewski and Franklin would have been made only by Krivsky.
    So Krivsky gets credit for building the team in March, but takes no blame for kicking the team in the shins in July and August?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    So Krivsky gets credit for building the team in March, but takes no blame for kicking the team in the shins in July and August?
    for some.

WK has had his share of good and bad deals. I understand that is nature of the business.

What scares the heck out of me is that he thought some of these guys (Majewski, Cormier, Hollandsworth, Schoenweis, etc) were of any value in the first place.

Not at all.

But neither should be called an idiot and that it's time for him to go because people don't like his most recient moves. Or if you don't like "the trade" that doesn't suddenly discount every other move he's made.

You have to look at his overall record and what he's built as a team over the whopping 8 months he's been here.

If you look at that 8 month record and don't like what you see, so be it. But people around here very much react to the latest news or move. It's just like after a loss, you'd think by reading this board that the Reds were the worst franchise in baseball history. Same with player moves.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Actually, the pennant crawl wouldn't exist if not for Mark Mulder, So Taguchi, Aaron Miles, Sidney Ponson, and all the other derelicts the Cardinals have trotted out there in an attempt to keep things interesting.
    Sounds to me like good pitching is hard to find. Who knew?

And even if the Reds were .500 against the Cards for the season, they still would be in the thick of the wildcard hunt.

As it is, the Reds are at a point where everything counts and every mistake is magnified. "Small misses" like Ryan Franklin and Gary Majewski could cost the team a shot at the playoffs.
    Sure. And trading for expensive, injured loogies who aren't as good as Shackleford is silly. We can agree on that.

But Krivsky has been good enough that his small misses actually matter. I like that. And if, in your terms, he can "hit the lottery" on three acquisitions in one year - well, I need me some of them odds.

Junk dealer Wayne's current style would not be suited for a deep organization, so I hope that he changes over time. When the same process brings in Arroyo and Clayton, Schoenweiss and Ross, I'm not going to look only at the part of the couplet that I don't like, though.

Junk dealer Wayne's current style would not be suited for a deep organization, so I hope that he changes over time. When the same process brings in Arroyo and Clayton, Schoenweiss and Ross, I'm not going to look only at the part of the couplet that I don't like, though.
    If we were just dealing with couplets, it wouldn't be so bad.

What scares the heck out of me is that he thought some of these guys (Majewski, Cormier, Hollandsworth, Schoenweis, etc) were of any value in the first place.
    Personally, I would put McCracken at the top of the huh? pile.

But then again, other organizations thought that Phillips, Ross (two Rosses, I would argue) and Guardado had little value.

Personally, I would put McCracken at the top
    Reds gave up nothing for QM and he didn't play enough to have anything more than a very minor impact. Honestly I'd rather have QM taking swings off the bench than Hollandsworth.

But Krivsky has been good enough that his small misses actually matter.
    Exactly. The good, big stuff (Dunn's deal, Arroyo, Phillips) far outweighs the bad, little stuff so far. I'm on the fence re: the Nats deal -- waiting to see if Majewski rebounds, how Harris and Thompson develop, and, most importantly, whether Kearns and Lopez continue to improve (I don't expect Wagner to succeed) . If that trade flops, his scorecard evens out.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Tell me about it. Cormier only had the best bullpen ERA in baseball at the time of the trade.

The Reds should do their best to shy away from those type guys and go for players who can really get the job done.

And Majewski is young and talented. Of course he has no value. We're just lucky WK didn't give the Nats Dunn and Edwin in that deal as well.

Thanks for kicking us in the shins Wayne.

Turn Off Ads?