Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The comedy conintues ...

Re: The comedy conintues ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Reds gave up nothing for QM and he didn't play enough to have anything more than a very minor impact. Honestly I'd rather have QM taking swings off the bench than Hollandsworth.
    They gave up Cody Ross to keep him. I liked Cody Ross.

To the extent that this thread is about the criteria Krivsky uses to evaluate talent, QM is as relevant as SS, I would think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Tell me about it. Cormier only had the best bullpen ERA in baseball at the time of the trade.
    and it was mostly a fluke, having a little to do with usage pattern, but mostly nothing but a random fluctuation of good fortune.

Why was I not surprised he has stunk it up with the Reds? Because I delved into the numbers that define Cormier and who he is a pitcher(BB rate, K rate, HR rate) and I didn't like what I saw and also noted that his current ERA was completely unsustainable(which is waht xERA points out).

When you don't miss bats at all (Cormier) you are relying on defense(Reds isn't good), a fortunate BABIP, and a very low HR rate.

I pointed out in a post that the xERA(expected ERA) of Cormier (4.12) was actually higher than that SS(3.99) at the time of the trade on Tuesday.

BTW, the same stuff holds true for non bat missing types like Majewski, Franklin and Schoenweiss.

BTW, xERA does not remove his BABIP good fortune from the equation.
    Last edited by flyer85; 08-18-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    If we were just dealing with couplets, it wouldn't be so bad.
    Deal with more, then. Reds February 7, 2006 vs. Reds August 18, 2006. Which organization is in better shape?

Or take it this way. It's pretty evident that the same criteria were used to acquire Guardado as Cormier, Schoenweis and Franklin. If you were to unwind those four deals, would the team be in better or worse shape today?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I would have said it was "buying low" with Schoeneweis, but he's making a ton of cash for someone who does what he does.

Besides, the Reds have already guaranteed $2.25 million in '07 to a 40-year-old-to-be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I would have said it was "buying low" with Schoeneweis, but he's making a ton of cash for someone who does what he does.

Besides, the Reds have already guaranteed $2.25 million in '07 to a 40-year-old-to-be.
    If Schoeneweis is hurt and thus ineffective "buying" at all really becomes a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I would flag this as the worst WK decision of the year in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Tell me about it. Cormier only had the best bullpen ERA in baseball at the time of the trade.

The Reds should do their best to shy away from those type guys and go for players who can really get the job done.

And Majewski is young and talented. Of course he has no value. We're just lucky WK didn't give the Nats Dunn and Edwin in that deal as well.

Thanks for kicking us in the shins Wayne.

Anyone with a concept of peripherals would have realized Cormier's ERA was an illusion. At least Wayne got him on the cheap.

Insist that Majewski it "talented" all you want, but he's never been anything more than a mediocre middle reliever.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Insist that Majewski it "talented" all you want, but he's never been anything more than a mediocre middle reliever.
    that 's the picture the peripherals paint.

Want a really effective reliever not dependent on defense and luck? Find one that misses bats and doesn't give up many HRs.

At least put the guy on the DL instead of taking up a much-needed roster space.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

that 's the picture the peripherals paint.

Want a really effective reliever not dependent on defense and luck? Find one that misses bats and doesn't give up many HRs.
    I always thought the trade was bad even if we were getting a healthy, talented Majewski. AFA the above, while Majewski does not miss many bats, the guy does somehow manage to keep the ball in the park.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    At least put the guy on the DL instead of taking up a much-needed roster space.
    seems like it is ought to be common sense to do that.

So what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    while Majewski does not miss many bats, the guy does somehow manage to keep the ball in the park.
    the problem is that to not be really bad he must continue to keep a low HR rate. If it spikes at all you end up with Rick White(who has had some success in Philly because he has only give up 1 HR in 20+ IP).

Plus I always wonder how well HR supression will translate to GABP when coming from a serious pitchers park (like RFK).

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Plus I always wonder how well HR supression will translate to GABP when coming from a serious pitchers park (like RFK).
    This is our concern, Dude.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    This is our concern, Dude.
    I thought you were "The Dude"?

MLB 1 HR every 19 IP

Minors 1 every 16 IP (573 IP)

Turn Off Ads?