Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preston Wilson a Card?

Preston Wilson a Card?

So it looks like Preston Wilson is about to sign with the Cards for the playoff run. I would say that their lineup will feature Duncan, Wilson, and Encarnacion. That is a huge upgrade then what was expected after hearing about Edmonds injury. The question is will Edmonds be back with the Cards next year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Preston Wilson a Card?

Wilson is horrible... a Strikeout waiting to happen... If I were the Cards I'd much rather have Taguchi out there, who makes contact, has speed, and hits about.280....

why couldn't we have been so lucky as to face Wilson in the 9th inning on thursday

He has signed according to mlb.com

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals announced this morning the signing of outfielder Preston Wilson. Wilson had been placed on waivers by the Houston Astros on Tuesday after being designated for assignment last Saturday (August 12). Wilson will be in uniform today for the Cardinals' 1:20 p.m. game at the Chicago Cubs and will wear uniform #3. A corresponding roster move will be announced prior to the start of today's game.
    Wilson, 32, batted .269 with nine home runs and 55 RBI for the Astros this season. He hit a lofty .312 against lefthanded pitchers and .301 with runners in scoring position. The nine-year Major League veteran collected his 1,000th career hit earlier this season against St. Louis on July 7 at Minute Maid Park. He was a 2003 National League All-Star and led the league with 141 RBI that season while with Colorado. Playing for the Florida Marlins in 2000, Wilson recorded his only 30-30 season with 31 home runs and 36 stolen bases, but has had six seasons with 25 or more home runs.

I think that's desperation for the Cards. Any good pitcher can get him out on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    I think that's desperation for the Cards. Any good pitcher can get him out on a consistent basis.
    Still, place him behind some high OBP guys and he has a history of knocking them in. Desperate, maybe--but a good move nonetheless.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Yeah, you have a point. I think he'll help for the rest of this year, especially considering what they'd be throwing out there besides him, but I'd rather face him any day of the week over Sanders or Walker. But you're right, he has been a good run producer when healthy.

He is in the lineup already today.

Have to wonder what he's got left if the offensively challenged Astros cut him loose.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    I don't know which is more of a sign of desperation, Wilson starting for the Cards tonight, or Michalak starting on the mound for the Redlegs...
    sorry we're boring

He's 1-1 with a stolen base so far today.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover
    He's 1-1 with a stolen base so far today.
    Small sample size.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Small sample size.
    OK, 2-3 with a HR & stolen base

slightly better than Hollandworthless

Wilson sucks, but let's face it, he's a trillion times better than Todd Hollandsworth.

Particularly when you factor in that he's healthy, unlike Wayne's last eight acquisitions.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?