Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How do you value "experience" ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's everything, the clubhouse has to have been "through the wars"

1 3.03%
  • Very valuable; it outweights a small decrease in peformance

16 48.48%
  • Young studs are better, I live live with the mistakes of youth

14 42.42%
  • Anybody over 30 should be banned by MLB.

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience

Experience

Hopefully this can be a valuable discussion on the construction of a team.

"Scrappy vet" has almost become a cussword here at RZ. The general implication is that youth is inherrantly good, virtious and more productive than anybody over say, 30 years old. That's the implication, I'm not saying people actually think that.

How much of an asset is experience for a given player? How much should experience be considered in team construction?

I'm not talking the 37 year old player who can't cut it anymore. I'm talking about the 30 to 35 year old who can still produce and has been "through the wars". What is that worth to a team?

I know it's intangable and hard to meausure. And I am NOT suggesting that experience trumps skill , I'm just throwing the question out for discussion.

Please, EE vs. RA battles need-not-apply. There's plenty of threads about that subject already. And yes, we know Clayton is horrible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Experience

The Twins sure took off when they decided to punt the "experience" and go with youth.

I think in some cases it can be beneficial. I like the idea of Guardado, for instance, showing the fire and attitude that made him a quality closer for years. I think that type of example could be beneficial to guys like Coffey and Bray, because they had no real role models here.

ORG Infidel

I would say both 1 and 2. You need a mix of youth and experience.

Experienced is very important for coaches and managers -- good, quality experience, not brainless Gene Mauch-channelling.

In terms of players, I'll take talent. Experience is something that everyone can gain; talent is not.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

while watching the tigers red sox the other night tiger manager jim leyland had an interesting quote (and im paraphrasing): you can keep experience i'll take talent. cuz talent wins at this level......

ORG Infidel

Talent wins without a doubt, but in a 9th inning tie ball game with a man on third I will go with the crafty veteran over the young fireballer any time.

talent trumps experience, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    talent trumps experience, every time.
    Even raw, unrefined and undiscipled tallent?

Maurice Clarett (sp?) had lots of tallent. (Yea, I know that's football, it's just an example).

Brandon Larson had tallent.

Derick Turnbow has tallent.

ORG Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Even raw, unrefined and undiscipled tallent?

Maurice Clarett (sp?) had lots of tallent. (Yea, I know that's football, it's just an example).

Brandon Larson had tallent.

Derick Turnbow has tallent.
    Exactly. Talent takes time and work to develop. I am not against bringing up some young guns, but temper it with experienced players.

Who would you trust more in a key at-bat, Denorfia or Hatteburg?

You can have RA, I'll take EE.

You can have Castro, I'll take Bartlett.

You can have Franklin, I'll take Belisle.

You can have White, I'll take Cuddyer.

ORG Infidel

Kind of off topic, but I still don't get why Aurilia takes such a beating on these forums. He may be older, but he hits for average, some power, and is pretty reliable in the field. I would honestly prefer him out there over EE for right now.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave
    while watching the tigers red sox the other night tiger manager jim leyland had an interesting quote (and im paraphrasing): you can keep experience i'll take talent. cuz talent wins at this level......
    That's because Jim Leyland is a leader, and knows how to deal with great young talent and bring them to the next level.
    sorry we're boring

Rich is currently the most productive SS on the team. As long as he keeps taking ABs away from Clayton/Castro and not Edwin, I don't have a problem with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    That's because Jim Leyland is a leader, and knows how to deal with great young talent and bring them to the next level.
    Exactly. That was my point earlier. Experience is extremely important for coaches and managers. Talent is more important for players.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Yea, with those specific matchups I would agree.

But you totally ignored the folks I mentioned and side-stepped the question. You said tallent ALWAYS trumps experience.

Turn Off Ads?