Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Part 46

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Part 46

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    People who complain and complain and complain about their job, but aren't willing to do anything to make it better or try to find a new one.
    AAAAAAAAA-men
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Before my wife and I were married, she went to a Counting Crows/Live concert.
    She was really surprised to find out that Live was the opening act she figured it was just Counting Crows Live.

I said to her, "It's a concert, what's the alternative, Counting Crows on tape?"

Yeah, it's a miracle she married me.
    Having worked at a concert venue in the past, concert "on tape" isn't far fetched. Milli Vanilli weren't the only ones doing it back then.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Man, I can think of a few right off the bat, mostly related to college:

1.) People in libraries. I spend a considerable amount of time studying and doing homework (engineering major). I also spend most of this time at either the library or engineering building. When I'm there I can always concentrate better. Nothing irritates me more than when I'm trying to study or read and there is a group of two people at a nearby table talking away. I can tolerate it if the discussion is hushed and school related or if it's a quick hello to a passing friend. I absolutely CANNOT tolerate people that sit down and have social hour at the library. That and people who actually will answer cell calls and have the conversation in the main part of the library. I keep my phone on vibrate if I'm expecting a call and when it rings I quickly move to an unoccupied area of the library to have my conversation. I just don't get why groups go to the library to study together. When my friends and I work on homework together we always try to meet somewhere where we won't interfere with others. There are a million coffee shops, don't bother people in the quiet environment at the library.

2.) People walking around campus. I usually ride my bike since my house is a long walk. As I'm riding nothing irritates me more than the oblivious person that walks down the center of a sidewalk so as I'm coming up behind them I have no where to pass. I usually try to clear my throat or something to alert people but some people are just in their own little world. I do enjoy cutting over past them and then swooping right by and startling them.

3.) Roommates that leave dishes on the sink after meals. Are you that busy that you can't take 2 minutes to scrape off your dish and throw it in the dishwasher? Argh....

4.) Professors who don't interact or have anything to do with the outside world. Examples from this year include 2 male professors who had midterms today (day after the Superbowl, c'mon) and many teachers that will schedule midterms the Monday after the OSU/Michigan game when it's at home. I can't even blame it on female teachers, the males are just as bad. Are these people so out of touch that they don't know when major events like the Superbowl, OSU games, and such are? It's not too hard to adjust the class schedule by a day.

5.) Homeless people that make up outrageous stories. I'm in college, I'm poor, I'm not going to give you change. I hate being bothered by homeless people. If they want to sit on the sidewalk with a sign and cup, that's cool. When you knock on my door or you come up and interrupt me, that's not cool. I got hit up by the same dude twice in one week. One time he was "with Advance Auto Parts" and he "ran out of gas." I offered my cell phone for him to call his company and he quickly left. The next time, a week later, he hits me up with a UPS shirt on and the same story. I replied with "Didn't you work for Advance last week?" That shut him up real fast.

6.) Businesses that try to sell me every deal on the face of the Earth. If I'm making a major purchase, offering me a warranty is ok. If I'm buying a CD, offering me your great rewards card and CD cleaner is ridiculous. Also, at a fast food place, asking me if I want to "Biggie Size" or add a side irritates me to no end. I'm sure they are required to do it but I still don't want to be bothered. If I wanted to biggie size it I can read the menu and make that decision without you having to ask me.

Those are just a few, I'm sure I'll think of even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    4.) Professors who don't interact or have anything to do with the outside world. Examples from this year include 2 male professors who had midterms today (day after the Superbowl, c'mon) and many teachers that will schedule midterms the Monday after the OSU/Michigan game when it's at home. I can't even blame it on female teachers, the males are just as bad. Are these people so out of touch that they don't know when major events like the Superbowl, OSU games, and such are? It's not too hard to adjust the class schedule by a day.
    Far be it from me to jump into a good rant (notice how many posts I have on this thread). However, Caseyfan, those of us who had to work the "day after the Superbowl" aren't going to have lots of symphathy for you for having to take a midterm today.

It may be that your proffs are more in touch with the outside world than you realize. Your furture bosses are not likely to cancil work the day after the Superbowl so in actuality the proffs are getting you ready for life.

Sorry to be such a killjoy/old fart/"back when I was your age...." type.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

People who like to "tell" you a movie...

My wife used to try to do this with me. Now she knows better...as do my kids.

You saw a great movie last night? Great. What was it called? Fine.

I DO NOT want to hear the whole story line, stating with the opening scene.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    It may be that your proffs are more in touch with the outside world than you realize. Your furture bosses are not likely to cancil work the day after the Superbowl so in actuality the proffs are getting you ready for life.
    Simply going to class/work the next day and having a midterm are two far different things. I don't think the day after the Superbowl should be a national holiday. I'm absolutely not a person that skips out on class or work because of fun stuff (have skipped only 7 classes period in 3 years of college). I just think it's a little cheap of them to schedule a midterm the day after a major American event, especially engineering midterms that take many days and hours of preparation. I haven't gotten to watch the Superbowl in the past 3 years because I have had prof's who scheduled midterms the day after each year.

And with work you can *usually* plan ahead to clear a night unless there is a major project or deadline. With midterms, it's tough to prepare a long while in advance, especially with responsibilities for other classes. I'm really not trying to whine, I just get irritated when my professors never give consideration to things outside of their class.

Man, I am in rant mood tonight. Please don't take offense, my parents always say the same kind of stuff to me when I complain.

Simply going to class/work the next day and having a midterm are two far different things. I don't think the day after the Superbowl should be a national holiday. I'm absolutely not a person that skips out on class or work because of fun stuff (have skipped only 7 classes period in 3 years of college). I just think it's a little cheap of them to schedule a midterm the day after a major American event, especially engineering midterms that take many days and hours of preparation. I haven't gotten to watch the Superbowl in the past 3 years because I have had prof's who scheduled midterms the day after each year.

And with work you can *usually* plan ahead to clear a night unless there is a major project or deadline. With midterms, it's tough to prepare a long while in advance, especially with responsibilities for other classes. I'm really not trying to whine, I just get irritated when my professors never give consideration to things outside of their class.

Man, I am in rant mood tonight. Please don't take offense, my parents always say the same kind of stuff to me when I complain.
    Try law school. We have exams on Sundays.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2.) People walking around campus. I usually ride my bike since my house is a long walk. As I'm riding nothing irritates me more than the oblivious person that walks down the center of a sidewalk so as I'm coming up behind them I have no where to pass. I usually try to clear my throat or something to alert people but some people are just in their own little world. I do enjoy cutting over past them and then swooping right by and startling them.
    It's a sidewalk, not a sideride.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Not just telemarketers..... but telemarketers that can't even speak English! I have an answering machine so I don't even pick up. But even then, when you don't respond, you get this annoying LOUD "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" left on your machine. I get about 4-5 a day.

With what is going on in the service industry, especially in tech support, I think we should ignore Iran and bomb India!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

[Indian_accent]

"Hello, you have reached the Bangalore help line. We are here to serve you. My name is.........Fred."

[/Indian_accent]

No, your name is not Fred. It doesn't make your accent sound less Indian either.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

When telemarketers or bill collectors call and an automated message ask's you to hold for a moment. I can't believe there is much of a success rate with that.
    People who wait until there are several car lengths between them and the car in front of them when the light turns green. There's times I'm tempted to pass and fill in one of those open spots. Geez people we can get our space once we get through.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

When telemarketers or bill collectors call and an automated message ask's you to hold for a moment.
    I created a character for this very occasion at work. "Joseph Blow, Jr., III."

He's basically an elderly Jewish gentleman from New Jersey who "gets around" at his nursing home.

He asks for advice on women, his kids, even STD's.

I (He) asked a mortgage broker if he had an extra set of fingers and twenty minutes to help ease the irritation of "Southern lice."

Some people laugh, some people get really mad, but the more random I make it the more my employees love it. I do it for them, really.

I had one guy ask me how I could be a "Jr. the third."

"I'm actually the sixth, but Jr. the third flows better, don't you think?"

Also- I used to play a joke on those annoying people who call and pretend they are the copier people: "Yeah, we are just updating our files- could you walk over to the copier and read the model number off of it?" And then they send you a bunch of copier supplies that you "ordered."

Well I used to get that call all the time so I came up with some of my own model numbers that I would spell out for them:

Yeah, that's a Lexmark 5UCK-M3
    Wait- no it's a Canon FU-HARD

Or my personal favorite (mods, forgive me if I'm crossing a line here):

That's a Canon "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo space Yankee Oscar Uniform."

I had one lady call me a Sierra Oscar Bravo (not in those terms, of course) with a voice so angry steam was coming through the phone.

When I was younger, I had a phone number that was one digit off from a pizza place. It would get so bad on weekends that I just started taking orders.

"That'll be ready in twenty minutes. And by the way, we are having a special tonight- if you bring in 5 canned goods your pizza is free."
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-06-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Almost forgot this one, though I may have posted it before. The very same number that was close to the pizza place was also one off from the Clermont County building department. This one guy called me twenty times to rat on his neighbor for digging around his telelphone pole. He would get really quiet and rattle off the name as if someone were tapping his phone.

He called so much I called him back and told him that while I could bust his neighbor, I would also have to arrest him under the new "Tattle Law" that was recently enacted by the Clinton administration.

We hated to do it, sir, "but no one likes a tattle tale," I told him. I started to laugh at the end so he knew I was joking but man, that felt awesome to do.

I was big practical joker as a kid, especially if it had a microphone involved. I had a mobile DJ company and was a holy terror in making up announcements.

At high school dances when kids would come up and request a song I'd get their name so they thought I was going to announce it along with the request. Instead, I would make some announcement that his mom was outside waiting for him with a PB& J sandwich just in case he was hungry or something that would embarrass a high schooler.

People who go out and buy these 4-wheel drive vehicles (SUVs, Jeeps) and still don't know how to drive in the snow. They think that just because they have all-wheel drive that they don't have to exercise any caution. Just had a lady "park" here brand new Escalade in the middle of a corn field due to obviously not knowing how to drive in the snow. Thank God she wasn't hurt and there wasn't any damage to the vehicle.

But she must have been going at a pretty high rate of speed because she parked that thing pretty far into that field.

Deer were holding up signs like Olympic judges, and they all gave her a 10.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

People who don't park their cars in their driveways.

They REALLY drive me nuts after a snowfall. The plows can't clean the streets, Peeps!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?