Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 8/18 - Reds v. Pirates

Re: 8/18 - Reds v. Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I agree that most people probably knew he was most likely going to get lit up. Even Krivsky and Narron probably thought so. But what were their options? Someone had to go take the mound. I just don't know who else that would be who WOULDN'T most likely get lit up.
    Well, they put themselves in the situation that warranted a Michalak start. So they have no one to blame but themselves.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Well, they put themselves in the situation that warranted a Michalak start. So they have no one to blame but themselves.
    I don't disagree with that, and not addressing the #5 starter at the deadline was a big mistake by Krivsky, IMO, and could wind up being what keeps them out of the playoffs. But once Friday rolled around, I'm not sure what other option they had. I have totally not followed the minors this year, so I don't know if there's anyone down there capable of giving up less than 5 runs in 5 or 6 innings.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I agree that most people probably knew he was most likely going to get lit up. Even Krivsky and Narron probably thought so. But what were their options? Someone had to go take the mound. I just don't know who else that would be who WOULDN'T most likely get lit up.
    At the game, he started out of the gate looking great. Not overpowering stuff, but he was hitting his spots and getting pitches over and in for strikes. I was worried going in because the plate umpire was the same guy who had the plate that Friday in Milwaukee. He didn't seem as bad last night as he did that night (and I was at both games). The pitch that I thought was devestating for Michaelek was on the batter who hit the 3 run homer. The pitcher before that I thought was in for a strike and that the batter went around. He gets that call, innings over. Unfortunately, both in Milwaukee and last night, that ump could not consistently call that corner of the plate (down and in on lefties, low and away on righties- that was what got Narron tossed two weeks ago)

Once the Pirates were patient with Michalek and the ump wasn't giving him the corners, particularly the low right side of the plate, he was toast. You can't make it as a junk pitcher if you can't get strikes called for you.

BTW, someone said the first homer was a curveball, but the speed check at the stadium registered it at 94 MPH, the highest I saw all night. Of course, it left at about 125 MPH to dead center.

I didn't feel like this ump cost us this game, but he wasn't the guy I would have liked behind the plate for a pitcher like Michalek.

Oh, one last thing. Huge mental lapse on Michalek's part throwing over to the runner at first. With the sacks jammed, I just didn't get and it cost us dearly.

Everybody knew he was going to get lit up, but if you bring up somebody from the minors maybe they will work out. Since we traded Germano and Elizardo is probably done for the year, it is getting to the point where you either have to call up Homer or go to a 4 man rotation. There aren't many bullets left.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Everybody knew he was going to get lit up, but if you bring up somebody from the minors maybe they will work out. Since we traded Germano and Elizardo is probably done for the year, it is getting to the point where you either have to call up Homer or go to a 4 man rotation. There aren't many bullets left.
    Why not.. If we have playoff aspirations we need to see what we got with our best prospect. If we are going to give the ball to Michalak or have Franklin take a start here or there (hasn't started all year). I think we would be better off handing the ball to Bailey. I wasn't on the Homer bandwagon when it started.. but now with our hopes dwendling even though we still have the Wild Card lead. Mind you we are only 2 games over .500 we might just need to see what we got in Homer to make it to the end of the season.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Maholm's going to eat the Reds alive tomorrow.
    Whatever he's feeding them , they sure are gobbling it up.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Just dominating.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Miracles occur. We live in a miraculous world. But you don't get rich on miracles.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Miracles occur. We live in a miraculous world. But you don't get rich on miracles.
    Maholm had walked 65 batters and given up 167 hits in 141 innings. You were the one looking for a miracle with that guess.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Maholm had walked 65 batters and given up 167 hits in 141 innings. You were the one looking for a miracle with that guess.
    Reds usually kill soft-tossing lefties. They have a long and illustrious history doing that.

Nice prediction!

Maholm's going to eat the Reds alive tomorrow.

Also, I'd like to point out that the Bucs' offense is tons better than it was at the beginning of the season.

Far be it from me to dredge up a prediction post just to poke fun at it....

But you are right FCB, they didn't give up and they put some runs on the board tonight. They are not the also-ran team of the 1st half of the season. They aren't WS bound by any strech, but we shouldn't take them for granted either. And we have 4 more games with them yet this year (I think) so we don't want them to be spoilers.

Turn Off Ads?