Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Today in scary teams: Los Angeles Dodgers

Today in scary teams: Los Angeles Dodgers

Second installment a look at the teams threatening the Reds for a playoff spot, divisionally or wild cardally. This took me all afternoon on-and-off to do because I was so distracted by the Yankees' fiesta, so I apologize if there are mistakes. I'd really like to hear people's thoughts on the Dodgers, as they've given some very good ones already on other threads. Once again, I don't know their bullpen too well, and looking at another thread just now I noticed that a lot of people consider it an asset when on paper it didn't look that way to me. So jump in.

Today we are looking at the Los Angeles Dodgers.
    Current Record: 64-57 (.529)
    Standing: 1st in NL West, 3 games ahead of Arizona Diamondbacks
    Remaining Schedule: The Dodgers have remaining 6 games against the San Francisco Giants (58-63; 5-8 against the Dodgers this season); 7 games against the San Diego Padres (60-61; 8-3 against the Dodgers); 6 games against the Arizona Diamondbacks (61-60; 6-6 against the Dodgers); 3 games against the Cincinnati Reds (61-59; 0-3 against the Dodgers); 6 games against the Colorado Rockies (59-62; 3-7 against the Dodgers); 3 games against those irritating Milwaukee Brewers (57-64; 0-3 against the Dodgers); 4 games against the New York Mets (72-48; 2-1 against the Dodgers); 3 games against the Chicago Cubs (52-68; 1-2 against the Dodgers); and three games against the Pittsburgh Pirates (46-75; 2-5 against the Dodgers). (Note: Why do the Dodgers have three series against Pittsburgh?)

Scary: This has been a streaky team all year; since the All-Star break they’ve had two distinct stretches, first a long losing one and then a long winning one. In that sense, I think they’re an unpredictable and possibly dangerous team. Their offense scares me. Kenny Lofton and Rafael Furcal have been Hattebergian in getting on base lately. Garciaparra, Jeff Kent, J.D. Drew, Wilson Betemit – as long as they can stay healthy, these are guys who can play smart, scrappy baseball when they need to, and I’m not being facetious. It’s not a shabby lineup defensively either. Maddux was one of the more underrated deadline pickups in my opinion, and so far with the Dodgers he’s proven me right. He’s had some very poor starts this year, but I’ve seen him pitch some brilliant ones as well, and I can totally see him stepping up to the challenge of a playoff race near the end of his career. (Many would probably disagree with this, but of the greats still pitching, I’d send Maddux out there in a big game before Johnson or even Clemens.) Brad Penny has been strong all season, and Derek Lowe, for all of his troubles and his 10-8 record, still has a fairly respectable 3.97 ERA.

Not so scary: As was the case with the Padres, I’m not terribly familiar with the Dodgers’ bullpen, but the names -- Sele, Tomko, Bemiel, Saito – they’re sometimes good, but not really at all scary. I would not trust this bullpen to do very well for very long, so I’d think they’re in trouble if their starters get in trouble. Starter Mark Hendrickson has not been good for the team and currently has a massively unscary 1:1 K:BB ratio, which is the kind of rare thing that makes me feel a little better about my own team. And yet Billingsley actually more walks than Hendrickson – Billingsley has been quite good at times, but he’s a rookie and I don’t trust him leading up to a playoff run, and it doesn’t look like the Dodgers do either. Julio Lugo is a silly player.

Overall fear factor: I have to say that I think the Dodgers are pretty scary, albeit momentarily scary, not long-term mutiple-seasons scary. They’re streaky and that says to me that confidence and overall team cohesiveness are lacking somewhat. But if they can capitalize on their hot streaks and on other teams’ mistakes, then their scariness will multiply itself. I like their starting pitching and I think they’ve made some surprisingly smart moves under their new management. Honestly, I think the best thing that could happen to the Dodgers as far as the Reds are concerned would be for the Dodgers to continue playing well long enough to clinch the NL West (dropping just three games next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday), and then start to fall apart a week or two before the end of the season. Given the way they’ve played all season, this is not unthinkable. Much of the Reds’ fate lies in this division, I think, and in particular on the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks (scary factor yet unknown to me; we’ll look at them soon). For all of the talk of how big the Reds’ last seven games with the Cardinals were, their upcoming West Coast trip is far more crucial to me because of this.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Today in scary teams: Los Angeles Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Honestly, I think the best thing that could happen to the Dodgers as far as the Reds are concerned would be for the Dodgers to continue playing well long enough to clinch the NL West (dropping just three games next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday), and then start to fall apart a week or two before the end of the season. Given the way they?ve played all season, this is not unthinkable. Much of the Reds? fate lies in this division, I think, and in particular on the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks (scary factor yet unknown to me; we?ll look at them soon). For all of the talk of how big the Reds? last seven games with the Cardinals were, their upcoming West Coast trip is far more crucial to me because of this.
    I think you are right about LA winning the division being the best thing for the Reds. Although I have an ingrained dislike for the Dodgers, it would probably be best if they won the division. It is really theirs to lose. I do not see any other team getting on a hot streak to catch them. If LA does not win that division, it will be because they came back to the pack, such as it is. LA looked pretty scary in Cincy when they were here last time. Furcal is a known Reds killer and having Kent and Nomah back does not make LA a fun team to face. That is why the Reds need to take care of business against SD and SF.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'm bumping my own thread because I want more opinions on this team, particularly on the bullpen. Not that I would ever take Chip's word as anything less than gospel and final

FYI the Dodgers went 2-1 this weekend against San Francisco and still lead the NL West by four games over both Arizona and San Diego. There is also a typo in my original post -- I thought the Reds' West Coast trip began today, which is why I refer to the Dodgers dropping three games today-Wednesday (I actually want them to do this next week, obvs).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Nine days till i'm at Chavez Ravine for the rubber game!
    Last edited by Jr's Boy; 08-21-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    Nine days till i'm at Chavez Ravine for the rubber game!
    Hey me too! I'm going down to San Diego for the Sunday game against the Pads as well.
    No one expects the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I'm bumping my own thread because I want more opinions on this team, particularly on the bullpen. Not that I would ever take Chip's word as anything less than gospel and final
    The frontline talent in the bullpen is top notch: Saito and Broxton are 9th and 18th, respectively, in the majors in adjusted runs prevented. In the postseason, they could be a lock down duo at the end of games.

http://baseballprospectus.com/statis...dex.php?cid=17

Neither of these guys are flash-in-the-pan types either; Broxton was dominant in A-ball. Saito was a former stud closer in Japan, who resurrected his career with the Dodgers at age 36 (like Guardado briefly did with the Reds). Both Broxton and Saito have legitimate stuff.

In addition, Giovanni Carrara has done pretty well this year.

The big question, as with all young and/or unproven bullpens, is how will they perform in high-pressure October situations?

Turn Off Ads?