Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ante up - are you feelin it?

Ante up - are you feelin it?

There's six weeks left in the 2006 regular season. The Reds are 2.5 games behind St. Louis for the division and lead San Diego and Arizona by 2 games in the wildcard and Philly by 2.5 games.

Speak up. Be heard. Lay your anty down and go on record.

Does this Reds team end the 10-year playoff drought and make it into the big dance?

On the plus side...

-An offense that can absolutely bury pitchers at times
    -Plenty of energy
    -A great clubhouse, seemingly
    -Good leadership
    -A very strong desire to win win this thing
    -A GM that isn't taking 'no' for an answer and an owner that's not giving any no's
    -Much improved defense
    -An improved bullpen
    -Decent starters that can at least hold their own with any pitcher
    -So far so good with Kyle Lohse as a fifth starter
    -Fans are starting to take this seriously

On the down side...

-Offense is still streaky
    -Bronson Arroyo has not been excellent lately, just good
    -Bullpen still has issues sometimes - especially with health
    -Starters aren't pitching deep enough into the games lately
    -Reds need to put together a streak of victories to put some distance in the standings
    -Very scary West Coast road trip coming up
    -How will Junior fare down the stretch? Can he get a second wind?
    -Every time this team appears to be fading, it gets a second life - partly because no one else is stepping up. Will the next losing streak be their last?

I'm in the game, and I'll see the bet and raise.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives given the current NL landscape. In most years, I don't think Cincinnati makes it, but I think this team has that extra 'umph' to get in the playoffs. The team really believes in themselves and has shown an uncanny ability to bounce back from every major setback so far this season.
    Last edited by Brutus; 08-21-2006 at 05:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anty up - are you feelin it?

I can understand calling,but with all the variables you provided I cant see how you could raise.

Cuz i'm a gamblin' man

And I aint even bluffin'

I'll tell you after the West Coast trip. I have watched this team ride on a high many times, only to go out west and watch things fall apart.

I'm in no question. However Philly now has a shot to leap us, if we do not play well down the stretch. In their division they are wooping everyone, or they could go cold again just like Atl. did. Houston still has a chance so we must bury them this series. No Clemens this series just Oswalt vs. Michalak we must win the 1st 2 at least.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I have a friend who is a Philadelphia fan, and after the Abreu trade I asked him whether Philly would be OK the rest of the season.

"The offense is going to explode without him," my friend told me.

I did a double take.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "I know Abreu wasn't having a great season, but the guy still gets on base like mad."

And my friend was quick to point out, "yes but he was not getting any big hits. All he was doing this year is drawing walks and the guys behind him weren't always picking up the slack. This team will explode without him."

Sure enough, I'll give credit to my friend, he was exactly right. They have been scoring runs at a dizzying pace recently.

Old Red Guard Reject

Are we going to have a pool or something here? Where's the gambling?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    I'll tell you after the West Coast trip. I have watched this team ride on a high many times, only to go out west and watch things fall apart.
    Yes, the West Coast trips are always the killer. I'm hoping, but we'll certainly have a better idea after that.

Roster glue

Related to an ante, I made the following bet with a good friend of mine while we were watching Claussen get bombed out by the Sox:

If the Reds finish better than 78-84, I have to take him to a regular season game of his choice--all expenses paid--in the diamond seats. If the Reds clinch beating this record (chosen because it was their final record the 2002season they started 32-22) it could easily be this season.

If the Reds finish worse than 78-84, he has to pay for a steak dinner at any restauant of my choice. My friend does not eat red meat or poultry.

I will be ecstatic to lose this bet...whomever made the comment about the WC trip is spot on. That could make or break the season. Or, the Reds could continue to hover around .500 and hope nobody leapfrogs them in the standings. I think 22-16 from here on could win the WC.

Re: Ante up - are you feelin it?

I'm all in baby!! I have been all year long.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?