Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure to find 4th and 5th starters will keep us from playoffs

Failure to find 4th and 5th starters will keep us from playoffs

For all the good that Krivsky did this year, he was unable to solidify the 4th and 5th starter spots. And the refusal to bring up Homer Bailey for that role..........will cost us a playoff berth.

Oh well. There's always next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Failure to find 4th and 5th starters will keep us from playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed
    For all the good that Krivsky did this year, he was unable to solidify the 4th and 5th starter spots. And the refusal to bring up Homer Bailey for that role..........will cost us a playoff berth.

I don't think bringing up a guy that can only throw "4 out of 18 curve balls for strikes" (I believe that's what was posted) is going to be the difference in making or not making the playoffs this year. I'd be all for bringing up Homer if he was ready but by most accounts he is not.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 08-18-2006 at 11:40 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Milton
    Lohse those are 4 starters that with the division being as weak as it is can get us to the playoffs. We definitely need a guy who can compete for the fifth spot and hopefully the lizard can learn a thing or two down in AAA. Bailey is definitely not the answer at this time in his career. Heck we are still in the thick of this thing.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Lately it's been the lack of hitting, more than anything else, that is hurting this ball club.

In three of the last four games the Reds have scored 0, 1 and 3 runs.

All losses. Even excellent starting pitching will not overcome that.
    sorry we're boring

Our offense isn't exactly helping us out lately.

Dunn has fallen into a major funk right as Griff was coming out of his. Combine that with Phillips and Ross not hitting and you've got a problem.

Does anyone else think that it looks like Edwin is going for jacks alot more now? Usually they just happen, but he seems to be popping balls up and rolling over grounders more.

I say bring up Homer. The lift this guy would give the team would be out of this world. I guess I am being impatient but you never know how many more chances the next few years that we will have a shot at the post season. 11 years is too long not being in the playoffs.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    Does anyone else think that it looks like Edwin is going for jacks alot more now? Usually they just happen, but he seems to be popping balls up and rolling over grounders more.
    I was at the game today and didn't get a good look, but I do think he is trying to yank em. The one good sign is that he did for one. Usually when guys do that, they don't hit one. Rolling over grounders wouldn't be the result of trying to jack one, maybe topping the ball. Rolling one up would be the result of the top hand coming through too early and having the bat roll over top the ball (maybe you really didn't mean that though).

Sadly, the one pitch I missed all night was because a kid near me had to get through and I didn't realize, so I looked to my right, and BOOM, EdE goes yard! Atleast he did.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    I say bring up Homer. The lift this guy would give the team would be out of this world. I guess I am being impatient but you never know how many more chances the next few years that we will have a shot at the post season. 11 years is too long not being in the playoffs.
    I have not read or heard one single baseball expert say that Homer is ready for the major leagues yet.

In fact, all of them say that he is not yet ready.

They're not keeping him down there to punish him or keep a championship from us.

He simply is not ready; he's a kid who needs seasoning and to learn how to pitch.

How would he lift this team? By bursting the bubble when he gets hit or has no command?

Can he hit? Because that's what this team needs right now.
    sorry we're boring

It is only our 5th starter that is giving us problems at the moment. Bailey is def not going to be brought up as a starter now with his pitch count this year, possibly bullpen. But we still need to try to address our #5 starter and I dont mean throw Franklin out there.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    It is only our 5th starter that is giving us problems at the moment. Bailey is def not going to be brought up as a starter now with his pitch count this year, possibly bullpen. But we still need to try to address our #5 starter and I dont mean throw Franklin out there.
    It sounds like he is going to be shut down for the season soon. If not, then I'm guessing he comes up for some BP action.

I would think you'd have to bring Bailey up for some BP action in September with all the injuries. Especially if they end up moving Franklin to the rotation.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 08-19-2006 at 12:37 AM.

Guys like M2 and me have been ringing this bell all season.

It's not the bullpen, stupid.

It's the starters.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Guys like M2 and me have been ringing this bell all season.

It's not the bullpen, stupid.

It's the starters.
    It's both. True I'd prefer the rotation fixed over pen, but from what we've seen in the last decade beggars can't be choosers...

You guys give Lohse way too much credit. He's an American League pitcher that's having success because National League hitters had yet to see him. Do you really think his nearly 7.00 era was a fluke?

We have 3 legit starters in Arroyo, Harang and Milton. Lohse will start getting tagged again soon. Count on it.

Sure, the hitting has been suspect lately...........but we don't have legit 4th and 5th starters.

Turn Off Ads?