Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2006 v 2005 Reds minor league system comparison

2006 v 2005 Reds minor league system comparison

2006 v 2005 Reds minor league system comparison
    In the past, one of the big hits on the Reds farm system was that their farm teams were losing more than winning, at many different levels. One way to compare overall strength of systems is to look at win-loss records of the various teams. As of 9/7/06, at the end of the minor league regular season, lets look.

2006 records to date
    AAA Louisville 75-68 (+9 wins)
    AA Chattanooga 81-59 (+28 wins)
    High A Sarasota 66-73 (+1 win)
    A Dayton 67-73 (+7 wins)
    Rookie Billings 51-25 (+8 wins)
    GCL Reds 18-34 (-4 wins)
    2006 Overall 358-332 (+49 wins)

Last year 2005 records
    AAA Louisville 66-78
    AA Chattanooga 53-83
    High A Sarasota 65-67
    A Dayton 60-79
    Rookie Billings 43-33
    GCL Reds 22-32
    2005 Overall totals 309-372

So far the Reds farm system's winning percentage has increased overall from .453 last year to .518 so far this year. Last year they were 28th out of 30 MLB systems. They have won 49 more games than last year. That is a nice improvement.

Why did this occur? Some of the difference has to be attributed to getting rid of rules like taking the first pitch every time, and super strict pitch counts for starters. Some may be better drafting, or moving players through the system more slowly.

The best improvements were higher in the system, Chatanooga and Louisville... Not Krivsky draft picks in those higher levels, but lots of free agent signings and trade changes.

I hope this is a good sign of system wide improvement in the future!
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 09-08-2006 at 02:38 AM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2006 v 2005 Reds minor league system comparison

The system seems to be much better based on the positive "Buzz" many of the propsects are creating. I think some help is on the way.

But .. Won Loss improvement, especially at the higher levels like the Reds show, may just be a result of having better AAAA types filling the AAA and AA rosters. This type of improvment doesn't help the big league team so much.

Re: 2006 v 2005 Reds minor league system comparison

I'm never a fan of using win-loss records to judge farm systems, but our system has made massive improvements in the last year or two. Surprisingly, I have to thank Dan O' for that one.

Turn Off Ads?