Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RedsZone Top 25 Game

Re: RedsZone Top 25 Game

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    In 2001, Edwin Encarnacion played for Billings and had an OBP of .307, a SLG of .389 and an avg of .261. He seems to be panning out, so your premise seems to be faulty.
    Edwin was also 18 and not 21.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    In 2001, Edwin Encarnacion played for Billings and had an OBP of .307, a SLG of .389 and an avg of .261. He seems to be panning out, so your premise seems to be faulty.
    That's only one example. Doing poorly at Billings at Stubbs' age isn't a great sign and jmcclain is right about that.

However, he's still very raw with tons of upside so that has to factor into consideration.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    That's only one example. Doing poorly at Billings at Stubbs' age isn't a great sign and jmcclain is right about that.

However, he's still very raw with tons of upside so that has to factor into consideration.
    I think that's what some of Stubbs' detractors are saying. He was a college player in a major conference. He shouldn't be "raw" by first-pro-year standards.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Cool, apparently I don't "get it" that guys who don't hit in Pioneer league rarely pan out to anything worthwhile. And Gardner and Pauly were the Reds top two pitching prospects the last several years.
    They were? Both had one good season before they injured their shoulders. Pauly never pitched in AA even as a 22/23 year old.

Hence, your not getting it. The chances of them ever amounting to anything are light, very light. Gardner couldn't even pitch in high A effectively. In otherwords, his ceiling has been dramatically lowered. Which labrum surguries have a tendency to do.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    They were? Both had one good season before they injured their shoulders.

Hence, your not getting it. The chances of them ever amounting to anything are light, very light. Gardner couldn't even pitch in high A effectively.
    Except for the small fact that Gardner earned the Reds Minor League player of the year in 2004 after his performance in both A and AA. I don't care if you don't agree with me but at least get your facts in order.

I put them there mostly as a humor point, but it's certainly defensable. After the first handful of players, the Reds minor league system is absolutely awful, so arguing the ticky tack of which guy will never make it to AAA among the huge group of chaff currently earning a paycheck in the Reds system is really pointless.

Bumping this so that you guys can teach me more with your comments about the guys on the list. I'd like to know more about some of the guys in the middle.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-02-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Where should Obispo be? I know he throws hard, but does anyone know about his secondary stuff?
    Who is Wirfin Obispo? Where/When did we get him?

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradmu View Post
    Who is Wirfin Obispo? Where/When did we get him?
    I believe he is currently in the Dominican Republic and the Reds have been working on getting him a visa so he can come over. I think they have been tryin for a couple years now.

We don't know much about him except that he's a pitcher and supposedly has electric stuff. He's still quite young, si if we ever get him over to America he might be something special.

Turn Off Ads?