Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lack of depth/bench

lack of depth/bench

If we run last nights starting 8 out there the rest of the season we have 5 bench players:

Valentin - solid backup catcher/left handed pinch hitter
    LaRue - worthless
    Hollandsworth - decent left handed pinch hitter
    Castro - good late inning defense/utility infielder
    Clayton - worthless

IMO Freel & Phillips are already wearing down.

The trade of Kearns/Lopez for essentially Bray is a big factor in our poor bench. Also the albatross of LaRue's contract is a factor. Also carrying 12 pitchers is a factor.

What to do???

Dumping Clayton seems simple.
    Eating LaRue's contract is harder to do.

I am of the opinion that Denorfia & Olmedo would be useful parts.
    I suspect there are guys floating around we could trade for as well.
    - Will

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: lack of depth/bench

Bringing Denorfia up to rust on the end of the bench doesn't seem like a good solution. There are not so many more days until he can be called up in September.

If we have to see LaRue and Clayton in the lineup more in order to make the case for releasing one or both of them, then letting those guys rust on the bench is preferable.

Keep Larue for the time being and hope that you can dump him after the season. Clayton is the one to DFA. They played him forever as if to save face for the trade for whatever reason.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

I have always thought that carrying 12 pitchers is a bad idea. 11 should be plenty, and in my opinion 10 would be preferable. But even if they went with 11, that would add one more position player to the bench.

I like Jason LaRue, and I think that he is a good player. But there is no doubt that he is having an incredibly disappointing season. I have never seen a player struggle this badly for an entire season. I know that some people say that it is because he is not getting regular playing time, but the Reds honestly cannot afford to give him playing time. I have coached at the high school level in the past, and one thing I have always told my players who are struggling and not playing as much as they had hoped is that an opportunity will eventually present itself, and they need to be prepared to take advantage of it. LaRue was unable to do this. He started for two weeks when Dave Ross was on the disabled list, and he was still unable to raise his batting average over .200. Unfortunately, his lack of offensive production really hamstrings a five-man bench. However, his presence allows the club to use Javier Valentin as a left-handed PH. If Valentin were the only C on the bench, then Jerry Narron might be more reluctant to use him in PH situations. (On the other hand, I would hope that Scott Hatteberg could finish a game behind the plate if an emergency situation arose.)

If Rich Aurilia is going to be the regular SS (at least against RHP--moving to 1B vs. lefties), then Royce Clayton becomes a somewhat redundant player on the bench, as the only skill he provides that Juan Castro doesn't is better speed. He is also less versatile, as Clayton only plays SS, whereas Castro can play SS, 3B, and 2B. (However, this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that Aurilia can play 1B, 2B, SS, and 3B, and both Castro and Clayton are likely considered to be superior defenders at SS to Aurilia.) If either Castro or Clayton were a left-handed hitter or switch-hitter, then this would be a less redundant situation, but as it is, Clayton seems to be an ill fit. I don't think that the situation will change, as I don't think he will be released, and Clayton will likely remain a bench player for the remainder of the season (though I think that Ray Olmedo would be a better fit, since he is a switch-hitter).

Moves I would consider making to improve the bench:
    1) Go back to 11 pitchers. Send Chris Michalak to Louisville. Ryan Franklin can take his turn in the rotation on Wednesday.

2) Acquire a right-handed hitting or switch-hitting OF for the bench, as a counterpoint to Todd Hollandsworth. I would look at Jose Cruz Jr. or Reggie Sanders. Cruz would be easier to acquire, is younger, is a switch-hitter, and has had a good relationship with Ken Griffey Jr. in the past, so Griffey might be a good influence on him. Sanders has the advantage of being an ex-Red (we all love ex-Reds who return to the fold!), and has more power and playoff experience, but would cost the Reds something in trade. (Maybe the Royals would be willing to do a Sanders-for-LaRue swap.) I don't know if it is necessary to acquire both Cruz and Sanders--one or the other would probably be enough.

3) On August 31, deactivate another pitcher. (Either Eddie Guardado, Rheal Cormier, or Scott Schoeneweis to the DL, or option Bill Bray to Louisville. Bray could then rejoin the club after the rosters expand in September, and he could still be added to the playoff roster pool due to the four players on the 60-day DL.) Add Chris Denorfia to the 25-man roster. This makes him postseason-eligible. Also, if the Sanders/LaRue swap would come to fruition, then it would not be necessary to deactivate a pitcher to bring up Denorfia, as he could be the player brought up when Michalak goes down (transaction #1, above). Or maybe Ray Olmedo could then be brought up as the seventh player off the bench to provide additional speed and a switch-hitting bat.

The Reds would then have a bench consisting of:
    C LaRue (R)
    C Valentin (S)
    INF Castro (R)
    SS Clayton (R)
    OF Cruz (S)
    OF Denorfia (R)
    OF Hollandsworth (L)

or

C Valentin (S)
    INF Castro (R)
    INF Olmedo (S)
    SS Clayton (R)
    OF Denorfia (R)
    OF Hollandsworth (L)
    OF Sanders (R)
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-19-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

How is Todd Hollandsworth a decent left handed pinch hitter? As a pinch hitter he is 2-20 on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    How is Todd Hollandsworth a decent left handed pinch hitter? As a pinch hitter he is 2-20 on the season.

isnt he 0-6 with us?

Reggie Sanders
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445
    isnt he 0-6 with us?
    0/6 with 1 BB overall.

0/4 with 1 BB as a PH.

maybe a laRue for Sanders (both contracts are about equal) and pickup J Cruz as well, then DFA Clayton.. Send down Michalak and either put Franklin or Scott Schoeneweis in the rotation. Bring up Olmedo

a bench of

OF Sanders RH
    OF Cruz SH
    C/1B Valentine SH
    INF Castro RH
    OF Hollandsworth LH
    INF Olmedo

this is a MUCH better bench and with Cruz and Sanders can start giving our outfielders days off without losing anything. Plus Freel can also play anywhere and give him a couple of days off during the week as well.

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    Reggie Sanders
    Yes or Preston Wilson (oh wait).

Krvisky has burned down what was a solid bench at the start of the season for relief pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

Krvisky has burned down what was a solid bench at the start of the season for relief pitching.
    Of course as soon as Wilson goes to the Cards he lights it up on his first day.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    St. Louis could promise more regular playing time than Cincinnati could.

Unfortunately on this staff you need twelve pitchers. I send Michalek down and activate Belisle.

As far as depth goes, a RH Bat that can play 1B and OF would be great, then DFA Clayton. Not sure who is out there. I like the Reggie Sanders idea but I think he is signed for 2007 as well (not sure how much).

Don't call me a Cincy homer, but how about Eduardo Perez?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123
    Unfortunately on this staff you need twelve pitchers. I send Michalek down and activate Belisle.
    But they only have to make do with 11 pitchers for 13 days. Then they can add more pitchers to the roster on September 1.

several good ideas

I don't think the Reds will eat LaRue's contract

The only thing stopping the Reds from DFAing Clayton would be the egg on Krivsky's face

I would drop the 12th pitcher & Clayton for another OF and another IF

- Will

Turn Off Ads?