Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,041

    The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    I like him as much as the next guy.

    Just trying to throw a little gas on the fire.

    His numbers lately:

    July: .324 avg/.400 obp/.563 slg/ 10 xbh (Frequent days off until July 19th)
    Aug: .193 avg/.352 obp/.246 slg/ 3 xbh as of now (Only one day off all month that included numerous great diving plays and crashing into walls)




    PS- sorry I didn't dig in the archives to post at the end of a 10 page thread. I wanted a new thread on this one.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,873

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I like him as much as the next guy.

    Just trying to throw a little gas on the fire.

    His numbers lately:

    July: .324 avg/.400 obp/.563 slg (Frequent days off until July 19th)
    Aug: .193 avg/.352 obp/.246 slg (Only one day off all month that included numerous great diving plays and crashing into walls)




    PS- sorry I didn't dig in the archives to post at the end of a 10 page thread. I wanted a new thread on this one.

    Everyone on the offense aside from EdE has gone to the absolute dogs this August. Still and all, Freel's OBP is one of the best on the team for that duration.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,041

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Everyone on the offense aside from EdE has gone to the absolute dogs this August. Still and all, Freel's OBP is one of the best on the team for that duration.
    I dont think Freel will be tired of getting walked.

    I'm not saying he shouldn't play either. He is our best OF'er too. Just showing that maybe he does need some rest. I think the other guys need rest too. Our bench has NO outfield depth.

  5. #4
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    When he plays more, he delivers less at the plate. It really hurts to have a leadoff hitter in a slump. It's a shame the best option for a platoon-mate for him is the slump-tastic Hollandsworth.

  6. #5
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,873

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    When he plays more, he delivers less at the plate. It really hurts to have a leadoff hitter in a slump. It's a shame the best option for a platoon-mate for him is the slump-tastic Hollandsworth.
    If Freel is in a "slump" then Dunn, Griffey, Ross, Aurilia, and Phillips should be in retirement because they aren't hitting crap.

    Freel is doing what he's done all season, and what a leadoff hitter should do in every 1/2 month of a season: get on base.

    You two are essentially saying Freel shouldn't be an everyday player because he's doing his job, all the while providing the Reds with the most scintillating defense that they've seen since Pokey Reese. Unreal.

    I honestly think that stubbornness of opinion, as we are seeing in this thread about Freel's "slumpiness" is exactly why teams fail and GMs make poor decisions.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    LAS VEGAS
    Posts
    572

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Put Denorfia in right and Freel to the bench and then we have the best super sub available when he is needed.Would be great at starting or keeping something going he's never proved to good at being a regular very streaky and does not hit with men in scoring position looking at his RBI's.GO CINCY!!!!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,041

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    You two are essentially saying Freel shouldn't be an everyday player because he's doing his job, all the while providing the Reds with the most scintillating defense that they've seen since Pokey Reese. Unreal.

    You make things up. I actually said
    I'm not saying he shouldn't play either. He is our best OF'er too. Just showing that maybe he does need some rest. I think the other guys need rest too. Our bench has NO outfield depth.

  9. #8
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,873

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    You make things up. I actually said
    What is your position? You say one thing, then you retract that position. Should Freel be an everyday player or not? And I'm not talking about sitting out every 10th game--that still makes him an everyday player.

    So what is your position because I have no idea what you're trying to say.

  10. #9
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    If Freel was in center field every day, with more opportunities for putouts, then IMO, his offensive slump would not be such a dealbreaker.

  11. #10
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,036

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    I have no problem with Freel now that's there no other everyday option. My only problem has been with his his reckless style of play which isn't so smart sometimes.

    To think we used to have Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Pena, and a couple of others so that Freel could rove at different positions. Now we have Dunn, Griffey, and Freel with only Hollandsworth as a viable option (and not a very good one at that). In return we have bullpen pitchers who are less than satisfactory. I realize you need both and when it comes to choice, you go with pitching, but losing Keans, Pena, and one of the better pinch hitters in the majors (Cruz) while now on only options are someone no one else wanted or career minor leaguers. I hope this is a work in progress by Krivsky. If not, this team will never contend other than in years, like this one, when everyone's down. You can bet St.Louis and the other teams in the division will work to get better.

    Freel obviously wears down and playing him every day will simply cut his production, no matter what his OBP is right now. It will decline.

    And the same goes for Hatteberg. We're seeing the effects of that now.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SE Of the NC Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    He needs to be the everyday CF(yes CF), but with that being said he needs to be on the bench at least once every 5 games to 10 games. he has shown this year that his production drops horribly as he starts playing every day with no off time. That being said they really have no one that can fill in unless they recall Deno or unless Juan Castro could pick it in the OF ocassionaly. Hollandsworth is horrible and slow, you cannot have he and Griff in the same OF. Dunn could also use a couple games off about now too.

    EE is refreshed and energized because he spent so much time after the All-Star break on the bench because of poor manager decision.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

  13. #12
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,117

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    I think someone else said this in the thread, but I think the whole offense, with some exceptions, is running on fumes to a good degree. If you look at the last 10 game totals, Griff is hitting .310, but with only 3 RBI's (and two of those were off of homers), EE is batting like .361 and Hatte is in the .280/.290 range, but again everybody is low in RBI's. Everyone else is in the low 200's or below.

    I'm hoping we can stay in contention through the end of August and get some help when the rosters expand to give some of these guys a breather.

    You know it's sort of funny how folks who disdain baseball talking about how fit basketball and football players have to be, but it really takes a lot for a ball player to stay good energy shape for a full baseball season. These guys are looking exhausted at the plate. I hope we can hang on.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,316

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    These guys are looking exhausted at the plate. I hope we can hang on.
    Maybe it's because those guys that have been here are used to being so out of it by the all-star break that they can relax and stop pressing?

  15. #14
    Member kheidg-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    If Freel is in a "slump" then Dunn, Griffey, Ross, Aurilia, and Phillips should be in retirement because they aren't hitting crap.
    Over the last week Griffey has actually turned it on a bit. 9/24 (.375) w/ 2 HR.

  16. #15
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,267

    Re: The Great Debate: Freel everyday

    I talked about this is the game thread a few days ago. Before FCB jumps on me saying that I said he shouldn't be playing everyday.........

    Freel should be playing everyday because we have no better options, but I have been saying for over a year now that I don't think he can play everyday.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25