Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Change In The Booth

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Change In The Booth

Steve Stewart will not be back in the Reds' radio booth next season.

Stewart has been informed that the team will not renew his contract next year, he said today. Stewart is in his second full season of work alongside Marty Brennaman after joining Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall on a part-time basis for the 2004 season.

The Reds are not expected to move to fill the opening until after this season. Former Fox 19 sports anchor Dan Hoard, who this year became the voice of the Pawtucket Red Sox, should be in the mix as a potential replacement. He was a finalist when Stewart got the job in 2004.

Brennaman is under contract through the 2007 season.
    - From Marc Lancaster
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 08-19-2006 at 11:25 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Change In The Booth

I saw that on the Live board. I'm shocked personally. Not necessarily sad as a Reds Fan. Steve Stewart won't have any trouble finding work.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

What!!!

This is somewhat shocking. I'm not a huge fan of him, but I didn't dislike him either.

That's just crazy...
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Reds and 26.2's

hmmmm

Marty and Joe (Morgan) nawww

Marty and Johnny (Bench) nawwwww

Marty and Tracy (Jones) nooooooo

Marty and Thom (one's enough)

Marty and Pete (bring back Pete!)

(((Marty and Joe)))

I miss the old days...

I'd like Joe Morgan but pulling him away from ESPN would cost us.

I think Stewart was doing a great job. It's a shame. I rely on radio broadcasts, and I enjoyed his work.

Joe Morgan was a great player and a great Red. He is quite possibly the worst baseball announcer who ever lived. Let him come nowhere near our broadcasts.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

Reds and 26.2's

Whoever becomes Marty's partner will have to accept the fact that the booth belongs to Marty.

Hey! how about Marty & Grande.I'd give Marty 2 innings tops
    before he clubs Grande with the Mic.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

It won't be a guy like Joe Morgan. Morgan has NO play by play experience.

That is something you need to keep in mind. They aren't going, IMO to hire a color guy. The person needs to be able to do play by play, on the RADIO. That is nothing close to anything Joe Morgan has ever done.

Some former players are in the radio booth. Mike Shannon is one. But it takes a special talent to do baseball radio play by play. Knowledge of the game is not enough.

You need to be more Vin Scully than you do Joe Morgan.

Retired

Chris Welsh would be pretty good. Dan Hoard might be a possibility since he's going to be back doing UC basketball and football for WLW. Pineilla is doing broadcast work for FOX, he could be a factor if he doesn't get a job managing somewhere. Maybe Thom B? It would set it up for when Marty decides to retire.

I hope they don't try and give Joe the gig full time again, his days of calling a good game are long past.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 08-19-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life

I hope they don't try and give Joe the gig full time again, his days of calling a good game are long past.
    I'd still prefer him to Stewart.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Great--fire the best of the lot (overall). Christ,I hope it's not so Joe can come back full time.

Hoard would be excellent. I really liked him when he'd fill in.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I'm sad to see this. I'll miss Steve Stewart. My favorite games to listen to all year are the ones with Steve and Joe. I love Marty when it's a close game and he's paying attention, but that's not much of the time. I also feel bad for Steve Stewart, who has quietly and with class endured a never-ending string of frat-boy banter and subtle putdowns from Marty since day one. There are a LOT worse announcers out there, and I wish Steve the best in finding a comfortable major-league spot. Maybe even St. Louis!

I'd bet the next announcer paired with Marty will be a former player, not a play-by-play man like Steve. There isn't room in the booth for Marty, Marty's ego, Marty's side jokes and non-game-related banter, and a play-by-play man.

Updated 1st post with Marc's update

Joe Morgan would never do it, he has to be making a ton of money and he hardly works. One game a week for probably more money, it would make no sense for him to take this job.

Turn Off Ads?