Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Moyer to Philly?

Moyer to Philly?

Jamie Moyer and cash traded from Seattle to Philly for 2 prospects per Rotoworld

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moyer to Philly?

How come the Reds couldn't have given up TWO minor league pitchers not named Bailey and got Moyer instead of arm in Bullpen?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Jamie Moyer is 57 years old and has been beat like a rented mule for the last 6 weeks (I only slightly exaggerate) after a decent start to the season. He's had a fine career, but I don't think he's the answer to the Red's problems, and he's obviously at the end of his career.

I don't want the Reds to throw away any more of the future in order to try to scrape into the wild card this year.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    Jamie Moyer is 57 years old and has been beat like a rented mule for the last 6 weeks (I only slightly exaggerate) after a decent start to the season. He's had a fine career, but I don't think he's the answer to the Red's problems, and he's obviously at the end of his career.

I don't want the Reds to throw away any more of the future in order to try to scrape into the wild card this year.
    I tend to agree with this. I also think that going from Safeco to Philly (or GABP) probably will expose him some. I don't know about his FB/GB rates though.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Phillies Acquired pitcher Jamie Moyer and cash from the Seattle Mariners for pitchers Andrew Barb and Andrew Baldwin.

Old Red Guard Reject

Moyer to Philly? I think his predicting his success there can best be described by the philosopher from the early '90s, one, Mr. M.C. Hammer:

HAMMER TIME

If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by mth123
    I also think that going from Safeco to Philly (or GABP) probably will expose him some. I don't know about his FB/GB rates though.
    I like Jamie Moyer....great guy, community leader, with the Mariners for 10 years. He is 43 years old(11/18/62), probably in his last year. But....

At home this year in Safeco, he has a 3.80 ERA, with a .259 BAA. On the road, his ERA jumps to 5.29, with a .329 BAA. At Safeco, he gives up a HR on average once every 7.46 innings. On the road, he gives one up on average every 5.25 innings. ( a total of 25 HRs allowed this year so far).

The Hardball Times rates that SAFECO gives up about 5% fewer HRs than average, while Citizen's Bank Park in Philly gives up 7% more than average.

From the 2006 Baseball Prospectus on Moyer:
    "Moyer went 10-0 with a 2.95 ERA in 17 starts at Safeco last year, but just 3-7 with a 6.11 ERA and 16 HRs allowed in 15 starts on the road. Unable to miss bats (his strike out rate was the second lowest of his career), Moyer is at the whim of his defense and the park behind him. Without the safety of Safeco's distant walls, he's a replacement level pitcher, a pity given his ability to deceive batters and keep the ball in the park at home. ..."

HERE are his groundball/flyball/line drive rates....He is a flyball pitcher.

We were wise not to put him in GABP...
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 08-20-2006 at 10:23 AM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson

We were wise not to put him in GABP...
    I agree. Thanks for the link. Thought so.

What a stupid move by the Phils. Next you'll see some team with a bandbox park give Eric Milton 25 Million....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He's from Philly and had no trade rights. This was more the Mariners letting him go home to finish his career.

i wish we could gethim hes got a nasty fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    What a stupid move by the Phils. Next you'll see some team with a bandbox park give Eric Milton 25 Million....
    That makes the Philly's move even dumber. Replacing Milton with a similar pitcher who is over 10 years older?

Moyer's gonna get lit up like a Christmas tree in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox
    Moyer's gonna get lit up like a Christmas tree in Philly.
    As long as it's not St. Louis doing the lighting, that's good news.

EDIT: St. Louis doesn't play Philly the rest of the year. The Reds should be OK. The Phillies don't really play anyone, other than Houston, that the Reds should be concerned with.
    Last edited by Jpup; 08-21-2006 at 01:32 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?