Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: manager bashing

manager bashing

I thought sometimes we are to tough on Narron but I was on the Cards website and they were cussing the great Tony L out over the game today so we are not the only ones complaining.We at least do not cuss Narron out

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: manager bashing

Quote Originally Posted by tomred
    We at least do not cuss Narron out
    Some of us do, just not on here.

But seriously, I like Narron the person. He seems like a great guy and someone who I would love to call a friend. Jerry Narron the manager? I don't like him as much.

You'll hear the occasional Yankee fan calling for Joe Torre's head. I'm a Buckeye, and people were calling for Tressel's head not too long ago. Doesn't matter how great a coach or manager is, at some point, they'll hear it. Sometimes it can be rather ridiculous, and sometimes it can be warranted.

Seems like Narron does an ok job managing the clubhouse. That is probably more important than we know. I think he needs a really good bench coach to handle in game strategy. Good managers delegate while retaining veto power. Baseball isn't that different than any other business in that regard.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Two years after leading the Reds to back-to-back World Championships, future Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson was fired. For finishing in 2nd place twice in a row.

There is just no pleasing some people, eh?

Jerry Narron is a good man, and in some ways is a victim of his roster. Three catchers, and 25, yes count 'em, 25 pitchers this year thus far (with more to come, I'm sure). He's scrambling, trying to mix and match and find a fit, especially roles for the relief pitchers. I felt really sorry for Jerry last night as he was out on the mound taking Eddie out of the game- the look on Jerry's face said it all. He looked as if he was almost going to cry (I almost did too, thinking about Coffey as our closer again), and I could just read on his face - "what the @#%# are we going to do now?"

He's certainly made some moves that have puzzled me as well, but he seems to have settled on a solid lineup, and found a way to get RA, EE and BP's bats all in the game at the same time.

I'd give Jerry a B for the year thus far; he's far better than we've had in the recent past, and on the same page with his GM, which is so important these days.

I love Joe Torre; he could manage my team in a heartbeat, and he is made of better stuff than me if he can put up with the Boss in NYC.

LaRussa was not overly popular with the fans in Chicago while I lived there when he was managing the Sox, at least in the years after he won a surprise division title; they expected more. But he is very popular with the national baseball press, for some reason, who act as if he had a hand in inventing the game.
    sorry we're boring

It's a "national pastime" of those who follow sports. There are always those fans that think they could do it better despite having zero experence, having never managed anything more complicated than a boyscout troupe and that they have the people skills on par with LBJ. Despite the fact they know NOTHING about what is going on behind the sceens they think it'd be easy to jump right in and lead the team to the world serries.

There will always be those obnoxious, arrogent jerks who think that because they know ABC data, or have read XYZ book, or played the game in high school that they are infinatley more qualified than the man at the helm.

It's part and parcel to being a MLB manager of knowing that you are the dumbest guy in the stadium because some rude, often drunken, idiots in the stands told you so.

"Bashing" is a sad, unfortunate and expected part of the game.

BTW, I'm not talking about legitimate criticism, constructive criticism or complaints from reasoned people who took the time to formulate a position based on facts or logic. Obviously no manager is immune from criticisms such as these, nor should they be.

John Fay has a nice article on Narron in today's Enquirer:
    "Hey, get off Narron's back"
    subtitled "nitpicking second-guessers overlook solid job he's doing."
    LOL- that'll stir up the troops!

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608200427/1071
    sorry we're boring

People are overlooking the solid job he is doing.

His small in game moves get beat to heck, including his line-ups. But he is doing a great job in the clubhouse.

It is too bad how much people overlook that. Many here seem to think a managers job only takes place in the dugout.

There are many on this site who I feel will die without ever seeing a good Reds manager. No one will ever do things exactly as they would so no one is ever going to make them happy.

Tony LaRussa has been just bashed just as much as he has been revered in St. Louis. There are those Card fans who still hold it against LaRussa that he benched Ozzie Smith and pretty much ran him out of town....I believe this was during LaRussa's first year with St.L in 1996. He benched Ozzie so that a young kid named Royce Clayton could take over. Ha.

Listening to XM the other day, they had a big segment on how unhappy a central team's fans were. I thought the seg coming up was about the Reds...nope. Cardinals fans are NOT happy with their team at all.

CincySportsFan1

Narron is doing a great job and he may get manager of the year.

CincySportsFan1

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Listening to XM the other day, they had a big segment on how unhappy a central team's fans were. I thought the seg coming up was about the Reds...nope. Cardinals fans are NOT happy with their team at all.
    Honestly, outside of us and the Brewers, every team in the central has been a disappointment, so I can see why the fans are angry. The Cardinals were thought to be by far the best team in the NL and they have not even come close to being that. I heard Cubs fans talking that it was finally their time to break their curse after picking up Pierre and that Wood and Prior would finally stay healthy but you know the story on that... The Astros after coming off their first WS appearance and for the most part keeping the same ball club have disappointed fans with their inconsistant play. Pirates fans I guess knew what was coming.... Wait they have fans?

You people just don't like him because he talks funny.

I dont sounds as smart as I really am so theres your example right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    John Fay has a nice article on Narron in today's Enquirer:
    "Hey, get off Narron's back"
    subtitled "nitpicking second-guessers overlook solid job he's doing."
    LOL- that'll stir up the troops!

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608200427/1071
    John Fay means nothing to me, thus his opinion means nothing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    John Fay means nothing to me, thus his opinion means nothing to me.
    well...ok...
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?