Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Bay autograph...

CincySportsFan1

Easy Bay autograph...

I was at tonights game and I caught a HR ball in BP and EASILY got it signed by Jason Bay because there were literally like 10 people on the Pirates side trying to get autographs.

How come more didn't go over there to try for autographs? Bay, IMO, is going to continue to develop into a pretty solid star in the league for years to come and was a nice success for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Easy Bay autograph...

I agree that Bay is the real deal.

Autographs? I never could figure out the attraction for that, even when I was a kid. I'd rather shake a man's hand, any day, than have his autograph.

Maybe others feel the same way, or maybe as you suggest, the kids just don't know who the good players are on the Pirates team.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red

Autographs? I never could figure out the attraction for that, even when I was a kid. I'd rather shake a man's hand, any day, than have his autograph.

Maybe others feel the same way, or maybe as you suggest, the kids just don't know who the good players are on the Pirates team.
    No one would be willing to pay for a fleck of Bay's dead skin in the future. Gimme the autograph!

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    No one would be willing to pay for a fleck of Bay's dead skin in the future. Gimme the autograph!
    But I don't see it as an investment, something I can get for free and sell later at a higher price.

But that's just me. I enjoy looking at memorabilia and baseball history just as much as the next guy. I especially love old action photos. I've just never understood the whole autograph thing.

In this day in age, maybe some DNA off of those epithelials just might be worth more than an autograph, anyway- LOL!
    sorry we're boring

I couldn't care less about autographs. The thrill my young kids get and seeing the loo on their faces, though, os worth a fortune. That's the only reason I ever even consider autographs. We have a box full of autographed balls that we can't figure out who even signed them. Several of the balls we use to practice are signed balls we got at games.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11

Hey, says who?

Remember the Luis Gonzalez gum thing?

People are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan1
    I was at tonights game and I caught a HR ball in BP and EASILY got it signed by Jason Bay because there were literally like 10 people on the Pirates side trying to get autographs.

How come more didn't go over there to try for autographs? Bay, IMO, is going to continue to develop into a pretty solid star in the league for years to come and was a nice success for me.
    Thanks for the pointer. Congrats on the Bay signature!

The Cubs and Cards bring enough people to town to fill up the entire third base side. You're right though - the Pirates don't seem to draw a ton of fans like they used to.

I've seen a similar scene of few autograph seekers with most of the NL West teams (Padres, Rockies, etc.) when they come to town.

An old high school friend of mine is huge into autograph collecting (and amazingly, it's for his own collection and not to sell). He says he gets the majority of his Reds autographs from ballparks other than Great American. Less demand, he says. He said nabbed a dozen or so before a game one time in Colorado because no one else really bothered to ask the players.

I like autographs because they are a memory of that time you met someone. I got to meet Jim Thome once and I got a picture with him and he signed a ball, which are both things that I have for memories.

If I wasn't there, then an autograph doesn't mean much more than a name written on something unless it is made out to me. When I was younger, I got a signed ball from Sabo made out to me and that was really cool. I think autographs's to me are something to be kept for a long time where I can look back and remember the story of when I got that autograph. It will be much more important to me when I am older.

My dad has a book signed by Jim Brown from the 60's and a letter from Ted Williams to his dad during the Korean war. The Jim Brown sig was made out to my dad because they were buddies while my dad worked at Cleveland Stadium. Those two things mean a lot to my family.

CincySportsFan1

Thanks, I also agree that autographs serve as memories from when you meet someone famous or just a average MLB player or whatever. For whatever reason I have always been into meeting players and getting their autographs, but I would never ever buy one I only will get them in person. To me, it's only "special" if the person signs it "for me."

I would like to see Bay end up somewhere else pretty soon, that Pirate organization is going nowhere and I'd hate to see him end up like Todd Helton and be a great player on a lousy team his whole career and never have a real shot to win anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I like autographs because they are a memory of that time you met someone. I got to meet Jim Thome once and I got a picture with him and he signed a ball, which are both things that I have for memories.

If I wasn't there, then an autograph doesn't mean much more than a name written on something unless it is made out to me. When I was younger, I got a signed ball from Sabo made out to me and that was really cool. I think autographs's to me are something to be kept for a long time where I can look back and remember the story of when I got that autograph. It will be much more important to me when I am older.

My dad has a book signed by Jim Brown from the 60's and a letter from Ted Williams to his dad during the Korean war. The Jim Brown sig was made out to my dad because they were buddies while my dad worked at Cleveland Stadium. Those two things mean a lot to my family.
    fair enough!

We're all different, and that's just how I see it. Not right or wrong, just different from you. If I saw your autographs, I probably would think they were cool.
    sorry we're boring

Was it an official ball game ball? Some teams now use green lettered batting practice balls. Cheaper I guess.....

Yeah, usually the visitor autographs are easy pickings. I have gotten several visiting players both near the dugout and down near where the players come out. I haven't really stayed down where the players come out for a couple years but I have gotten several big names down there including Glavine, Cliff Floyd, Bagwell, etc.

The best one I got by the visitors dugout was a St. Louis Cardinal during his rookie season, Albert Pujols. Everyone else (Cards fans) were yelling for Edmonds and friends but I had heard Pujols was pretty good so I yelled over at him and he came right over and signed.

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Was it an official ball game ball? Some teams now use green lettered batting practice balls. Cheaper I guess.....

I hadn't heard that. The common practive I've seen is for them to stamp the ball with their team name and batting practice. That is pretty common but I haven't seen the green lettering. I'll have to watch for that. I've caught ball from probably 4 different teams this year and it was 2 with no special marking and 2 with BP stamps on them.

Well, unless it's Moises Alou of course, I suppose you could quickly put on a rubber glove first. I've always wanted to catch a player's bat that flies into the stands, but if I saw Moises' bat coming toward me I'd probably just duck.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    I had bleacher seats during the Rockies series and got about 3 different balls during batting practice. All of them were regular game balls only with a little stamp that says "practice" on them, I haven't seen the green thing though.

I've never actually gotten any autographs at the park. I have them from all kinds of players from all kinds of sports, but I've always gotten them at other events. Next time I make my way down for a game I'll check how many people stay around the visitor's side.

Turn Off Ads?