Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Wayne keep dealing?

Will Wayne keep dealing?

Krivsky has done a good job of restocking the bullpen. The pen was obviously terrible early and has had its share of breakdowns (Belisle, Mercker, and now Maj and Guardado). We may not like all his decisions, but he understood the need to restock and has done it pretty well.

Now, in the stretch drive, the team still has needs:

A fifth starter;

A righty hitter off the bench (sorry, Norris), assuming there is room on the roster

Possibly another right handed reliever (is Belisle a real option with all the back problems?)

My guess is Wayne is still not through. Most likely we'll see a new fifth starter. Wonder who.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Will Wayne keep dealing?

I don't he trades for a RH releiver, with Belisle, Majewski and Standridge all expected back.

I expect Denorfia to be the RH hitter of the bench.

A 5th starter???? Now there's a need.

Once September rolls around, I wouldn't be adverse to having a 17 man staff, and use relievers for the 5th spot.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Krivsky has done a good job of restocking the bullpen. The pen was obviously terrible early and has had its share of breakdowns (Belisle, Mercker, and now Maj and Guardado). We may not like all his decisions, but he understood the need to restock and has done it pretty well.

Now, in the stretch drive, the team still has needs:

A fifth starter;

A righty hitter off the bench (sorry, Norris), assuming there is room on the roster

Possibly another right handed reliever (is Belisle a real option with all the back problems?)

My guess is Wayne is still not through. Most likely we'll see a new fifth starter. Wonder who.
    Starter:

I think our option is in Ryan Franklin like it or not. He was converted to relief in spring training but like Lohse has a passion to prove he is worthy to start. Also once the rosters expand I'm sure we will see Dumatrait get a start or two.

Bench:

A name I continue to throw out there is switch hitting Jose Cruz Jr. I feel like i've said that 3-4 time today alone. But we also have Chris Denorfia, Norris Hopper could be used in the roll Hollandsworth is being used in. Also I think Brandon Watson may get a look come September.

Reliever:

Belisle has looked great in his rehab assignment so I think he is able to go another month and a half. And again when the roster expands look to see Gosling, Majewski, Shackelford, and maybe even Elizardo brought up to bolster this staff and also rest some of these tired arms before a playoff push.

I'd say if he has a chance to improve the team somewhere he will. I don't think he ever stops looking for moves to make things better. Let's just hope that he gets healthy players in return.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    I'd say if he has a chance to improve the team somewhere he will. I don't think he ever stops looking for moves to make things better. Let's just hope that he gets healthy players in return.
    2nd That

I wonder how much of Krivsky's active tinkering is driven by Krivsky and how much is driven by Castellini. Krivsky clearly has the authority to make the moves he has made and the ability to spot talent, but I wonder if there is also the factor of an owner calling and asking questions day-to-day about what is being done about the bullpen, rotation, offense, etc. . . . I would be interested in hearing an insider's view of what is driving Krivsky's active roster reshuffling. It could all be Krivsky driven, but the recent decisions to change radio announcers and uniform colors make me think that Castellini is more involved that I previously thought. After all, this guy moved his office to Sarasota during spring training, flew to Venezuela to see the Reds' baseball academy, and wants to replicate the Cardinals' success, which makes me think he would just love to pass them in the standings during his first year of ownership. All of this is based on inferences and speculation, but I would love to hear an insider's view on whether Castellini's interest in winning is keeping Krivsky on the phones. If that is the case, I would expect to see another move or two before August 31.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I honestly believe that K will bring up Bailey in the September expansion. Even though he has said he would not do it, he will use the excuse of all the injuries to the pitching staff.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    I honestly believe that K will bring up Bailey in the September expansion. Even though he has said he would not do it, he will use the excuse of all the injuries to the pitching staff.

If Bailey comes up in September, he will be on the bench to sit and observed.

As for making deals, I think Krivsky is trying to win today while protecting those key prospects for tomorrow. And if you don't like the way Krivsky operates, maybe you want to rehire Dan O'Brien.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    If Bailey comes up in September, he will be on the bench to sit and observed.

After all of Narron's only half tongue in cheek comments about the Bailey situation......

If they bring Homer up in Sept. even if it is with the understanding he is just to "watch and learn", if the Reds are in the race and one day there is a developing situation mid to late game which ends up with the Reds absolutely needing a K, do you think in the heat of battle Narron will be able to restrain himself from using Bailey? (I am assuming that watching and learning includes warming up from time to time as a decoy).

Also, have you noticed that Narron's "jesting" comments about the Homer situation seem to have stopped? And with Michalak just "pencilled in" for Wednsday with no apparent other candidates, doesn't Wednesday just happen to be Bailey's next turn?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    If they bring Homer up in Sept. even if it is with the understanding he is just to "watch and learn", if the Reds are in the race and one day there is a developing situation mid to late game which ends up with the Reds absolutely needing a K, do you think in the heat of battle Narron will be able to restrain himself from using Bailey? (I am assuming that watching and learning includes warming up from time to time as a decoy).
    The problem with putting Bailey on the roster is you have to put him on the 40man roster early, starting his arbitration clock. They won't bring him up in September unless they actually plan to use him. If they just want him "sitting on the bench to observe", he won't be placed on the 40 man, so he can't be suddenly used. it will have to be planned.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    The problem with putting Bailey on the roster is you have to put him on the 40man roster early, starting his arbitration clock.
    At this point in the season, that's probably not a concern. What's a concern is that he's very close to the innings threshold that the front office wanted for him this year.
    Not all who wander are lost

I'm willing to bet Michalak makes his next start.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    I'm willing to bet Michalak makes his next start.
    Not to be glib, but it's not out of the realm of possibility he comes back and dedicates it to his late 102 year old grandma and pitches a gem. I'll take that and thank grandma for it!

Reds still need a bat and to get rid of the 3rd catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Not to be glib, but it's not out of the realm of possibility he comes back and dedicates it to his late 102 year old grandma and pitches a gem. I'll take that and thank grandma for it!
    worst possible scenario as it would likely set him up for being able to get 2-3 more beatings.

Turn Off Ads?