Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Wayne keep dealing?

Re: Will Wayne keep dealing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    worst possible scenario as it would likely set him up for being able to get 2-3 more beatings.
    Ah, yes, another voice from the "I pray every night a Reds player does lousy so I can say I'm right" crowd. Honestly, I just don't get it (even with the Smiley Face).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Ah, yes, another voice from the "I pray every night a Reds player does lousy so I can say I'm right" crowd. Honestly, I just don't get it (even with the Smiley Face).
    completely wrong. Michalak is Dave Williams light. If he does well in an outing it is nothing but a fluke that will likely to set him up to get several more beatings. The Reds were fortunate to get what they got in Philly. A smart move would have been to realize what it was and send him back out. A 35 he is what he is and that is a AAAA pitcher on his best day. The Reds would be better off with Michalak making one more start and removing all doubt rather than have him attempt to make 3/4 more starts.

The problem is the Reds don't really have a good answer to the question of who should be the 5th starter(Franklin isn't it either).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I didn't read it that way at all. What I got out of it is one good start would likely lead to 2-3 bad ones afterwards. If he goes out and pitches well, Jerry may be willing to give him the ball 2-3 more times and he'd likely get shelled in all of them. Nowhere in his post did I read it as Ricardo wishing for a player to fail so he could he was right.

I'll respectfully disagree. While we're running Michalek out there, I'm hoping for the best. As long as the Reds are running him out there, whether as a starter or as a reliever, I'm pushing for him to do the best.

While we're running Michalek out there, I'm hoping for the best.
    blind hope is all it is. The odds are heavily stacked against Michalak helping the Reds win anything.

Since that is the case the ANSWER is to find someone to pitch in the spot that will make the odds more in favor of the Reds, not to bet against the odds that your continue to roll snake eyes time after time.

We were at the game on Friday and it sure seemed painfully obvious that Michalak just doesn't have major league stuff. Pittsburgh stacked a bunch of RH hitters against him and I thought somebody was going to get killed from the rockets getting hit all over the field. We watched the radar gun and he never got over 84.

Maybe if he very carefully with razor-sharp control locates his pitches perfectly, he can get MLB hitters out. But that margin of safety looks mighty darn slim to me.

I'm a huge Reds fan and I always want them to win, but if it were me, I'd thank Michalak for saving their bacon in that one Phillie game and send him back down to AAA with good wishes.

My wife doesn't know beans about baseball and even she said "does he throw really slow?".

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I'm a huge Reds fan and I always want them to win, but if it were me, I'd thank Michalak for saving their bacon in that one Phillie game and send him back down to AAA with good wishes.
    Who is the Reds best bet to roll the dice with? (actually he seems to be off limits)

If it were me I think the best answer is still Ramirez and while he had struggled before Narron really decided to screw him over, he is the pitcher I would go with.

We were at the game on Friday and it sure seemed painfully obvious that Michalak just doesn't have major league stuff. Pittsburgh stacked a bunch of RH hitters against him and I thought somebody was going to get killed from the rockets getting hit all over the field. We watched the radar gun and he never got over 84.

Maybe if he very carefully with razor-sharp control locates his pitches perfectly, he can get MLB hitters out. But that margin of safety looks mighty darn slim to me.

My wife doesn't know beans about baseball and even she said "does he throw really slow?".
    I was also at the game. There is no question he was throwing slow. I only saw one pitch thrown hard and that was the 3 run homer (it clocked at 92 MPH). With the quality of umpiring today, particularly with the guy who was behind the plate that night, it is difficult for a finesse pitcher to succeed. In fact, I thought Michalek had the strike out on the either the pitcher just before or two before the homer. He put it right in there, the batter started to swing and held up. Frankly I was shocked he was rung up on the swing. Again, though, the days of a finesse pitcher might be gone with the woeful strike zones we see from umpires.

He began the game marvelously throwing 9 of his 1st 12 pitches (or thereabouts) for strikes. If he was getting the close calls, he was toast and that's what happened.

I only saw one pitch thrown hard and that was the 3 run homer (it clocked at 92 MPH).
    that was the speed the ball came off the bat.

that was the speed the ball came off the bat.
    It's very possible that is what that was and I acknowledge that in the original game thread. If he can get calls on the strike zone, I think he can be successful, but that's a big "if" given the state of ML umpiring.
    Again, though, if he's pitching for us, I'm rooting for him to do well instead of expecting him to fail.

It's very possible that is what that was and I acknowledge that in the original game thread. If he can get calls on the strike zone, I think he can be successful, but that's a big "if" given the state of ML umpiring.
    Again, though, if he's pitching for us, I'm rooting for him to do well instead of expecting him to fail.
    he wasn't getting "squeezed" he is simply a pitcher who has to live on the corners and didn't. If his command isn't razor sharp Michalak gets behind hitters and get pounded, even by teams like the Pirates who are not a good offensive team.

Don't get me wrong, if he goes back out there to pitch, I'll be rooting hard for him to succeed and will be sorely disappointed if he fails.

I still have the emotional Reds fan sitting on one shoulder and the cooly calculating baseball analyst on the other. The Reds fan roots hard for him to succeed, but the analyst says "don't get your hopes up too high there big guy".

Pay attention to the open sky

but the analyst says "don't get your hopes up too high there big guy".
    when Michalak pitches well it is winning the all-in on nothing but a draw.

he wasn't getting "squeezed" he is simply a pitcher who has to live on the corners and didn't. If his command isn't razor sharp Michalak gets behind hitters and get pounded, even by teams like the Pirates who are not a good offensive team.
    And I'm saying that a finesse pitcher is going to end up behind on hitters when you have an erratic strike zone. Of course, some of that missing is just that, missing. But he absolutely had whoever it was hit the home run struck out one or two pitches before that.

I am not saying that Michalek is a saviour. In the final six weeks of these season, we are going to see a hodge podge run out on the mound and he's part of that mix. Will he be with the club next year. Most likely not and he's not alone in that. There will be a lot of movement this offseason, IMO. If he never starts another game for the Reds, I'm not going to lose much sleep. If he's the mop up guy, great. But I've said it ten times now, if he's on the mound, I don't want him failing, even if we're lucky he gets out of a pitching situation alive. That's our reality this season.

The strange part is that most likely the best answer is Homer Bailey. However, they won't bring him up and use him because he is "the future".

Honestly if you look at the state of the talent in the organization and on this team there really isn't much of a reason to believe that winning days are ahead. 2006 is mostly likely a fluke and this team will struggle to win over the next few years even with "the future" pitching out there in 2007 and beyond.

Turn Off Ads?