Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theo Epstein complains!!! about payroll!!!

Theo Epstein complains!!! about payroll!!!

Rich in natural resources
    Epstein playing futures market
    By Nick Cafardo | August 21, 2006

He didn't bring a white flag to wave in surrender, or say the Red Sox can't compete with the Yankees. What Theo Epstein said last night in a long on-field interview before the Sox-Yankees game is that the Red Sox never will be able to compete with the Yankees' financial resources and therefore they always will need to have a longer view than a New York organization that can play for the ``right now."

In the past when Sox ownership or management brought up the great disparity between the payrolls of the Yankees and Red Sox, you always rolled your eyes and countered that 1) the Red Sox won the World Series with the highest payroll in history for a Series winner ($128 million); and 2) teams with lesser payrolls have won championships and contended for titles (Marlins, Angels, Twins, A's) with half of Boston's payroll.

After listening to Epstein last night, it was clearer than ever that the $74 million that currently separates the Yankees' payroll ($194 million) from the Sox' ($120 million) finally has caught up to the home team.

Epstein said the Sox never could be an uberteam, code for a team with no weaknesses, the type of team that if any player goes down, there's a great player to replace him.

In other words, the Yankees.

``I think they achieve it sometimes," Epstein said. ``They do. Look around the diamond, they have some of the best players in the game, some of the highest-paid players in the game. They've also done a good job of producing a couple of good young players for no money, so I don't think they're a one-trick pony by any stretch of the imagination.

``I don't think we do things exactly the same way, and that's by design. [GM Brian Cashman] has got a great plan, and we have a plan. For instance, I do think we're in a position competing directly with them with less resources to have to keep one eye on the future. We can't do certain things that on paper would look good without thinking about the ramifications on future payroll, on future construction, etc. That's the reality. We've operated the same way since Day 1 of the offseason following the 2002 season," he said.

The Sox were unable to absorb the $27 million it would have taken to bring Bobby Abreu aboard. The Yankees were able to secure the player without blinking an eye.

``Yeah, conceivably that's an example where we didn't have the resources to take on his salary this year or next year, but we have tremendous resources, don't get me wrong," Epstein said. ``We have fantastic resources; that's just not something we can do with a [luxury tax hit] of $20 million-plus dollars. That's not something we can do. To upgrade in right field is not worth it to us because we have to spread that money around to execute our plan and build the '07 team."

The last time the teams were even close in payroll was 2001, when the Yankees had one just under $3 million less than Boston's.

The Yankees' budget is as close to unlimited as one can get, while the Red Sox seem to draw the line at what they're spending at right now -- a shade over $120 million and the willingness to pay about a $25 million luxury tax.

Before you feel too sorry for Boston, consider the A's probably couldn't have picked up either Eric Hinske or Javy Lopez had Jason Kendall or Jay Payton been lost to injury. But the difference is the Red Sox are spending $74 million less than their biggest rival.

To put that in some perspective, consider the Sox outspend the Royals by almost $73 million. Throwing out the recent three-game sweep the Royals handed Boston, consider what a $73 million bump in payroll could do for the Royals.

While the Sox don't get off the hook for not making a trade at the deadline, one can understand what Epstein faces in trying to balance the present with the future while knowing the Yankees are going to have the best roster money can buy.

Epstein got into the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the superpowers.

``Since I've been GM, we've never focused exclusively on the now, and we never will," Epstein said. ``We're not going to change because of a tough month. We are not the Yankees. We admire the Yankees. I admire the Yankees. I respect them. We have to do things different.

``Our approach is a little bit different, given our resources relative to the Yankees; we feel our best way to compete with them year in and year out is to keep one eye on now and one eye on the future and to build something that can sustain success.

``They're also very good at that," Epstein continued. ``We've gone toe-to-toe with those guys taking that approach. I think we're, what, one or two games under .500 against them, and since '03 have won one more World Series than they have taking that approach. We've been in the playoffs every year, just like they have.

``We're not going to change our approach and all of a sudden try to build an uberteam, and all of a sudden win now at the expense of the future. That's not an excuse. I'm not trying to throw some sort of a cloak over the clear holes that are on this team by sort of talking instantly about the future. I'm not. Our goals are now and our goals are to put ourselves in a position to win every single year."

When the Yankees open their $1 billion stadium in 2009, their reservoir of cash might seem like a runaway river.

``That's the reality," Epstein said. ``It's going to occasionally leave us short, it's going to leave us short every time there's a player who's available in a bidding war, taking on a contract, getting the best free agent. We're never going to sell ourselves out just to get that one guy because we have to take a long-term view given our resources relative to the Yankees. That's the only way to do it.

``I think we're good at it and I think it's going to prove successful in the long run."

Epstein was as honest about the Red Sox and their plight as he's ever been. While the Yankees certainly have done well recently in developing Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, and Chien-Ming Wang, the Sox need to be better in player development than New York.

When you decide not to sacrifice the future, there will be seasons when you don't make the playoffs and seasons in which everything will come together. Will the Sox' fan base accept it? That's the question.

While it sounds as if the Sox have thrown up the white flag when it comes to competing with the Yankees on a payroll basis, they are now on record with the fans about what they are.

They are a team with excellent resources, but one that has a bottom line they will not go over.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ources?mode=PF
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Theo Epstein complains!!! about payroll!!!

As ridiculously high as the Sox payroll is, it doesn't begin to approach the Yankees, who have about $75 million on the Sox right now.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

All the more reason that baseball has fallen behind the NFL in fan favoritism.

Parity, giving every team a chance to succeed with equal finances is only fair.

What the Yankees do is the one of the most unfair practices in sports, even if it is within the rules.

I think Reds fans wouldn't mind having the Red Sox payroll. This is the reason I now hate the Red Sox even more than the Yankees. Their fans and now their management complain about the Yankees buying the pennant but the Red Sox do exactly the same thing. I think we've seen over the past few years that there is a threshold of spending that you reach where it does little to further the team. The Red Sox offense is every bit as good as the Yankees with all the guys NY has on the DL and the pitching is similar as well. The Yankees just waste money on washed up players the Red Sox don't need. All we hear is how the poor Red Sox can't compete because they only have $120 million to spend. Thats ridiculous.

Who's got the Sox address...I'd like to send some money in.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

and somehow,year after year, Billy Beane manages to put together a winner on a shoestring budget(and he doesn't even have Mulder/Hudson anymore).

Parity, schmarity.

Name the last 5 superbowl winners.

Now name the last 5 WS winners.

Which one has more teams repeat. Now go back 10 years. 15. 20.

Baseball does get the occasional dynasty, but overall the parity IS there. No matter how much George spends.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Parity, schmarity.

Name the last 5 superbowl winners.

Now name the last 5 WS winners.

Which one has more teams repeat. Now go back 10 years. 15. 20.

Baseball does get the occasional dynasty, but overall the parity IS there. No matter how much George spends.
    The fact that the lowly Florida Marlins have won the WS twice in nine years speaks to that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

It seems espn has a constant love affair with the Redsox.I won't even say Redsox, Yankees feud anymore,it's all about the Redsox now.So I enjoy watching the them lose.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed
    All the more reason that baseball has fallen behind the NFL in fan favoritism.

Parity, giving every team a chance to succeed with equal finances is only fair.

What the Yankees do is the one of the most unfair practices in sports, even if it is within the rules.
    Why shouldn't the American pastime have a capitalistic setup? lol

The WS champion may show "parity" the last few years, but a more relevant fact is that the last time the Yankees didn't make the playoffs was 1993. The Red Sox, while not that dominant, have made it five of the last eight years (keeping in mind that thanks to the Yankees they are usually competing with ten other teams for one last playoff spot). That isn't the result of them being smarter than the rest of baseball -- it's the $$$, pure and simple.

I've always hated the Yankees and over the last few years the Red Sox have morphed into the Yankees-lite, so I'm not a fan of them either.

I hate the Red Sox. How do they think the D-Rays like competing with them?

Steinbrenner voted against the current system that is used in MLB. I believe he was one of the only ones.

He didn't make the rules, he just takes advantage of them.

All the Sox do is complain. Huge TV deal, full ballpark every night and huge fanbase that stretches through 5 states.

Shut up.

And yet For all that they spend on payroll, since 2001 the Yankees have how many titles?

The Marlins look close to being a WS contender again... maybe as soon as next year, but probably 2008.

The Yankees look old and expensive. Aquiring players with skills that are declining. I'm not worried about the Yankees.

I worry about the Tigers. and the Marlins, and especially TB if they can ever put it all together. Tons of talent there. I worry that Milwaukee might someday develop some pitching, and that Toronto just finds the last ingredient needed to field a winner. And what if the Twins added a bopper or two? And a third starter? ouch.

The Yankees? pheh. big payroll teams have always been a part of the game. but they don't always win. The Yankees likely won't make it to the WS this year. In fact, they will probably lose in the first round, prompting another silly spending spree by King George.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    And yet For all that they spend on payroll, since 2001 the Yankees have how many titles?
    there is a lot of luck involved in winning the WS title once you get to the playoffs. Having said that the Yankees are rather clueless about how to build a team to be successful in the playoffs. They make a bunch of mistakes but are just able to spend there way out of them in-season. What team wouldn't have liked to have added Abreu. The Yankees were the only team willing to fork over the millions to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    I've always hated the Yankees and over the last few years the Red Sox have morphed into the Yankees-lite, so I'm not a fan of them either.
    Well, I actually think that's what Epstein's trying to do, stop the Red Sox from being "Yankees-lite" anymore. But it remains to be seen whether or not he can get away with it.

Turn Off Ads?