Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Freddy Garcia On the Market

Freddy Garcia On the Market

White Sox apparently were willing to trade him last month(and replace with McCarthy) but were looking for a package of 1. an established reliever and 2. a mid tier pitching prospect. These discussions are heating up again apprently (Reds have not been mentioned yet, however). He's owed 10M next year but for a pitcher like him that's not so bad.

I would offer Pelland and Cormier. We have enough LH relievers, and by acquiring a guy like Hawkins from the O's, our pen would be solidified. Garcia would put our team over the top, IMO. Besides, in September we could call up enough guys we'd be fine in the pen and Eddie G. should be back in time to help late in the month or in the playoffs. I would even offer Bray and Pelland if Cormier wasn't enough. We really need a pitcher like this... sending Chris M. out every 5 days won't cut it and Franklin and Mays, etc. probably can't cut it either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freddy Garcia On the Market

On the market is different that passing through waivers THEN getting a deal.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Bray would never pass through waivers, Cormier might. Any prospect , if on the 40 man roster, would also have to pass through waivers, but that could be a PTBN.

The WS are essentially looking for salary relief for next year, and figure someone might be desparate enough (with most teams in contention) to bite the bullet.They are probably right.

You would have to come with more than Cormier to get Garcia. My guess is that they would start the asking price with Coffey and Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    You would have to come with more than Cormier to get Garcia. My guess is that they would start the asking price with Coffey and Wood.
    then we know the answer. Reds cannot afford to deal Coffey. The redundancy in the pen is Schoeneweis/Cormier.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Coffey would never pass through waivers.

Have you seen how Freddy Garcia is pitching this season? Lousy. His K/9 has been declining for the past couple of years, and his HR allowed has been climbing. You should avoid pitchers like that, not acquire them.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

He's not a bad gamble comparative to what's available on the market. The #5 spot just has to be filled, and Garcia makes sense for this team as it's #3, right now.

Next year @ $10M is spooky, but if you can find a way to have the Sox throw in 3-4M, I it's a gamlbe worth taking.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I feel safer about Lohse right now that I would about Garcia.

1) The Reds shouldn't be giving up what it would cost to acquire Garcia

2) The White Sox would not take some collection of also-ran BP help AND throw in $4 million in this deal.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    I feel safer about Lohse right now that I would about Garcia.
    So do I, but we still need a 5th starter.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

What we would end up having to to is putting 2-3 players to be named later due to the fact teams claiming the players the Reds would offer. I would try to deal

Matt Belisle
    Elizardo Rameriez
    Edward Valdez

Turn Off Ads?