Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is he our next starter?

Is he our next starter?

Read this today on Rotoworld:

"Mike Gosling threw 6 1/3 scoreless innings for Triple-A Louisville on Sunday. He struck out six. Gosling might be the next pitcher to get a look as a starter in Cincinnati. The former Diamondback has a 3.93 ERA in 21 starts for Louisville."

Anyone know anything about this guy? When the Reds got him and how?
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is he our next starter?

at this point the Reds are simply in a hold your nose and hope mode with the 5th starter.

Is Gosling a better bet than Michalak? Likely, but only marginally.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

We claimed him off of waivers, looks like it could have been one of Krivskey's first moves:

In a roster move announced on Friday, the Reds claimed left-handed pitcher Michael Gosling off waivers from the Diamondbacks.
    Gosling, a second-round pick for Arizona in 2001, went a combined 4-9 with a 5.56 ERA in 30 games, including 22 starts, with the Diamondbacks and Triple-A Tucson last season. After recovering from 2003 shoulder surgery, he made his big-league debut in 2004.

While scouting National League clubs as Twins assistant general manager, new Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky liked what he saw from Gossling. Since he was on the waiver wire, Krivsky decided to put in a claim.

"He is somebody that could compete for a spot in the rotation in Spring Training," Krivsky said. "He'll go into the mix and [Reds manager] Jerry [Narron] and [pitching coach] Vern [Ruhle] can run him out there. Let the best man win in competition."

To make room for Gosling on the 40-man roster, Cincinnati designated right-handed pitcher Luke Hudson for assignment. The Reds have 10 days to trade, release or outright Hudson, who went 6-9 with a 6.38 ERA in 19 games (16 starts) last season.

If he clears waivers, Hudson will likely be invited to the Reds' big-league camp at Spring Training as a non-roster player.
    He appeared in one game for his, a one day call up as recounted here:

CINCINNATI -- Pitcher Michael Gosling definitely logged plenty of car time on Interstate 71 on Wednesday.
    With the Reds short on available long relievers against the Marlins, Gosling was called up from Triple-A Louisville to replace reliever Mike Burns, who was optioned back to Louisville.

Upon the day's completion, Gosling had another 100-mile drive to make. He was sent back to the Bats, and lefty Brian Shackelford was recalled from Louisville.

In between, the 25-year-old made his Reds debut.

Gosling, who was 1-0 with a 1.64 ERA in two starts for Louisville, was available to back up in case something happened to Reds starter Aaron Harang before or early in the game. Swing man Matt Belisle was needed the previous night and wasn't available.

"We needed somebody with some length today," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "You don't expect a starter to go down in the bullpen warming up, but you have to be prepared for it, possibly."

Harang lasted just four innings in Cincinnati's 9-8 win over Florida, so Gosling was summoned for the top of the fifth. He was charged with two earned runs and one hit. Gosling also walked a batter and hit Mike Jacobs in the head with a pitch. Jacobs was down for a moment, but he was not injured.

Before the Reds acquired Bronson Arroyo in Spring Training, Gosling was considered a candidate for the big-league rotation. But after two impressive outings, everything seemed to fall apart for him. He allowed 12 earned runs on 11 hits while completing just two-thirds of an inning over two games.

Since camp, Gosling believed he fixed some bad habits mechanically and toughened up mentally.

"I'm throwing the ball much better," he said. "I got my mechanics straightened out, which helped my confidence. I'm pitching aggressively. My first couple of starts in Triple-A went well. I'll try to keep that going, the aggressive mentality when I pitch, whether it's here or there."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Pretty sure we got him off waivers this spring. I don't know anything about his stuff, be he strikes me as a Germano type -- possible #5 big league starter, more likely a long man.

In Louisville this year (through 8/14): 19 GS, 97 IP, 95 H, 78 SO, 49 BB, 7 HR

Basically, he doesn't miss a ton of bats, has some control issues, but keeps the ball in the yard. His control issues apparently keep him from going very deep in to games (5.1 IP/GS). His minor league K/9 (6.00) and BB/9 (3.37) suggest he'll never be a decent major leaguer. But as a 6'2" lefty, you can bet he'll be given every opportunity. He's 25, so if he doesn't figure out it soon, it's not likely he ever will.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Pretty sure we got him off waivers this spring. I don't know anything about his stuff, be he strikes me as a Germano type -- possible #5 big league starter, more likely a long man.

In Louisville this year (through 8/14): 19 GS, 97 IP, 95 H, 78 SO, 49 BB, 7 HR

Basically, he doesn't miss a ton of bats, has some control issues, but keeps the ball in the yard. His control issues apparently keep him from going very deep in to games (5.1 IP/GS). His minor league K/9 (6.00) and BB/9 (3.37) suggest he'll never be a decent major leaguer. But as a 6'2" lefty, you can bet he'll be given every opportunity. He's 25, so if he doesn't figure out it soon, it's not likely he ever will.
    however, he misses bats at a much higher rate than Michalak and gives up HRs at a much lower rate.

He was a waiver claim from the Snakes.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?