Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Krivskys Past

Krivskys Past

With the performance by Lohse tonight, it looks like we are witnessing yet another brilliant trade by Wayne Krivsky. I know Wayne interviewed for the job a few years ago when OBrien got it. But what other teams have interviewed this genius Wayne Krivsky and failed to hire him?? Every thing this man touches just seems to turn to gold. I cant remember even Bob Howsan having a run like this as G.M.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivskys Past

Yea, Krivsky sure does have two World Championships, four trips to the World Series and six divisional championships in a decade beat, Sparky.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I cant remember even Bob Howsan having a run like this as G.M.
    You mean the guy with the 1964 WS Ring and the architect of the 67 Cardinals?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson
    With the performance by Lohse tonight, it looks like we are witnessing yet another brilliant trade by Wayne Krivsky. I know Wayne interviewed for the job a few years ago when OBrien got it. But what other teams have interviewed this genius Wayne Krivsky and failed to hire him?? Every thing this man touches just seems to turn to gold. I cant remember even Bob Howsan having a run like this as G.M.

Lets refresh your memory on how good Howsam was:

In 1964, Rickey (then 82) was semi-retired but still in baseball as a top advisor to St. Louis owner August "Gussie" Busch. In mid-August 1964, with the Cardinals seemingly about to finish well behind the first-place Philadelphia Phillies, Busch fired general manager Bing Devine and replaced him with Howsam - reputedly at Rickey's urging. But the team Howsam inherited ended up winning the NL pennant and the 1964 World Series when the Phils collapsed in late September.

Howsam's two full years as Cardinals' general manager (1965-66) were not successful. The team fell back to .500 and many St. Louisans resented the fact that he had replaced a well-liked hometown figure, Devine, who had been wrongly fired. Howsam installed popular Red Schoendienst as manager and acquired future Baseball Hall of Fame first baseman Orlando Cepeda from the San Francisco Giants in 1966. The Cardinals were poised to win back-to-back pennants in 1967-68, but when the opportunity arose to start fresh with the Cincinnati Reds as their general manager in January 1967, Howsam departed.

In Cincinnati, Howsam flourished. During his 11 years (1967-77) as general manager, he was one of the key figures (along with his predecessor, Bill DeWitt, and his manager, Sparky Anderson) behind "The Big Red Machine," which captured NL titles in 1970 and 1972 and world championships in 1975 and 1976. Although many of the Reds - Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez - were already in place (or in the organization) in 1966, Howsam boldly promoted young pitchers such as Gary Nolan, Don Gullett and Wayne Simpson to the major leagues. He ensured that the fruitful Cincinnati farm system continued to churn out young position players, such as Dave Concepción and Ken Griffey. Then, in two masterful 1971 trades, he acquired second baseman Joe Morgan from the Houston Astros and outfielder George Foster from the Giants. In Cincinnati, Morgan would win the NL Most Valuable Player award in 1975-76 and earn credentials as a member of the Hall of Fame. Foster would hit 52 home runs for the Reds in 1977 - the only player to crack the half-century HR mark in the 1970s or 1980s. The '76 Cincinnati club, which won 102 regular season games, then swept both the Phillies in the 1976 NLCS and the New York Yankees in the 1976 World Series, is usually considered one of the strongest in baseball history.

Not saying Krivs isn't good but Howsam is better.

Cincinnati as a City has had some good luck as of late with their pro sports hires.

Paul Brown brings in the great Marvin Lewis...

Then the Sell of the Reds to its Current Owners who Bring in Wayne K.

The City is on the upswing for both sports... This City is going to be Rocking and Rolling for some years to come ....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Yea, Krivsky sure does have two World Championships, four trips to the World Series and six divisional championships in a decade beat, Sparky.
    My point in only a few short months Krivsky has had several great trades. Howsam was awesome and in my mind belongs in Cooperstown but I cannot remember any G.M. (Howsam included) have a run like Waynes in such a short time.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 08-23-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    Paul Brown brings in the great Marvin Lewis...
    How did Paul do that from Heaven?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    How did Paul do that from Heaven?
    He's THAT powerful.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?