Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Wells anyone???

David Wells anyone???

According to ESPN.com, David Wells cleared waivers on Aug. 3 and is eligible to be traded.

I think Wells might be the best starter available at the August 31st deadline.

Do you want him?

How much would you be willing to give up?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: David Wells anyone???

At least we already know that he has injury problems! I'd rather have Wells any day than Michilak or Franklin in my rotation. Of couse, Justin Germano would be even better.

Wasn't he acquired to help the push in 95?

As he showed last night, Boomer can still bring it.

I'd bring him in here in a heartbeat.

I believe Boomer made some comments to the effect that he would never play for a rinky-dink operation like the Reds again and couldn't wait to get out of town in '95. A lot has changed since '95 (no more Marge and no more antiquated stadium/facilities), but I would be surprised to see Wells in a Reds' uni again.

Stat geek...and proud

In his book, he pretty much killed Marge, but he had nice things to say about Davey Johnson. I don't think it matters since Marge is long gone though. I like Wells. I know a lot of people don't, but I'd take him on my team any day.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I absolutely would take him. He brings a swagger to any pitching staff he is on. He's yet to get in a rythm, but when he does.... A lot of playoff and WS experience. You probably would not have to give up alot. Certainly all of his remaining salary. Maybe two A ballers.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

He could be our 5th starter for Mahkilak, does anyone know what is salary is currently? Wayne could get him for cash and a player to be named later. He really pitched well today... Two runs over Seven innings... Why not?

would the red sox give him up? don't they need all the pitching help they can get?

Not after blowing 5 to the Yank's. He just cleared waivers so he is available. At what cost, I don't know.

We should ask Theo. I hear he is getting killed by the press in Boston right now after his "Rebuilding" comment with a $120mill payroll... What a joke.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Dear David,

You can keep the goatee this time.

Love,
    Wayne & Co
    No one expects the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn
    Dear David,

You can keep the goatee this time.

Love,
    Wayne & Co

So true... Marge (God Bless her) won't make him shave it this time!

I liked Wells when he was here the first time. But he is 43 years old and 250lbs. Weight usually doesn't bother me with players but Wells back and knees have given him trouble the last couple of years. I would steer clear.

If the price isn't much then definitely go for it. Better than Michalek or any AAA option not named Ramirez. Although I like Wells better than Ramirez for a postseason run.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red
    I believe Boomer made some comments to the effect that he would never play for a rinky-dink operation like the Reds again and couldn't wait to get out of town in '95. A lot has changed since '95 (no more Marge and no more antiquated stadium/facilities), but I would be surprised to see Wells in a Reds' uni again.
    Statements like that really irk me... he was quite rinky-dinky himself at that time.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If the Reds were to bring in Wells, they'd have to spend at least twice as much money on the post game food spread

Turn Off Ads?