nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: David Wells anyone???

compare apples to apples:

All season long:

Wells 40 IP, 56 hits, 9 hr, 5.40 ERA 1.58 WHIP
    Franklin 65 IP, 72 hits, 11 HR, 4.41 ERA 1.45 WHIP
    Schoeneweis 37.1 IP, 39 hits, 3 HR, 6.51 ERA, 1.47 WHIP

OR, if you want to compare just lately:

In 4 August starts, Wells is 2-2 with a 2.67 ERA in 27 IP, with 16 K and 4 BB. The Reds #'s are as you stated above. SS is not a starter. Franklin could be, but I like him coming out of the pen as Narron has been using him.

Given Wells' last 4 starts, and his experience in big games, I like him better than Michalak or EE for the last starter spot. 6 weeks only; nothing long term, only if you can get him cheaply.

The Red Sox are so thin pitching wise right now, I don't think they're going to let Wells get away, unless they decide early that they are out of it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    compare apples to apples:

Granny Smith are the best

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Granny Smith are the best
    nice and tart!

That year Wells came over to us was an intriguing year. That '95 team is someimtes unsung, mostly because of how the Braves beat our brains out, but if you look at the roster and various players' stats, it's not unlike this year's team, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    David Wells would be a great 6 week rental, a hired gun.

The only problem is the Red Sox would want too much back in return in order to "even up" the Arroyo-WMP deal. The national perception, at least, is that Epstein got hosed on that deal.
    No, I think one problem might be that they're not completely out of the race yet, and may not be willing to trade him until they definitely are, which could be too late for him to be eligible for a playoff roster. And the other problem is that they'd probably want to let him decide where he wants to finish his career, and that's likely to be CA or NY. I think it's past the point where they'd really expect to get much of anything for him.

What can it hurt? He'd have 6-7 starts left, and the Reds would know what they're getting. Plus, you can never have enough veteranness...although I don't know if he has enough scrappiness to meet Wayne's muster.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Who do they want? David Wells or Frddie Garcia!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

as a twin in the american league
    K Lohse- 2w 5L 7.07ERA 63.2IP

Reds in the national league
    K Lohse- 1w 0l 1.65era 27.1 IP

David Wells in the American
    2W-3L 5.40 ERA over 40 IP 7BB

7 walks!

now if Wells receives the same drop in ERA as Lohse did do to the switch in Leagues then here is what you could expect his stats to be for his final 4 starts of the year for us...

David Wells as a red in the national league
    2W 0L and a -0.02 ERA!!! over 28IP

LOL really though, he throws strikes and doesn't walk hitters. He would be a great pick up for us. However how much is he really worth for only 4 or 5 regular season starts?
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG
    Who do they want? David Wells or Frddie Garcia!

My best friend here is a die hard ChiSox fan and he hates Freddy Garcia. I haven't watched him pitch too much (Current games or in the past) but he swears that his arm is about to fall off. Nick said something along the lines that his fastball has dropped around 5mph and as a result his piches are flattening out. take it for what its worth. Wells IMO would be a better pickup for the stretch run
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Turn Off Ads?