Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

Re: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Me.
    I was going to say that but you beat me to it.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Is the Anchor Grill still around in Covington?
    Yes.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

4. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-23-2014)

I was not a member of Redszone when this thread started but reading back through it, it really awesome and brought back a lot of memories from growing up in Mt. Washington. A couple things came to mind that I did not see mentioned

Old Lunken Airport playfield - A lot of the "rides" there were old military hardware. There was a Patton tank, either a F86 or F100 Super Sabre jet and a bunch of other things you could climb on or in. It was always a huge treat on the rare occasion we would get to go there. I would always get in a fight with my older brother trying to get in the cockpit of the fighter plane. Its funny looking back now because I could not imagine in a million years a playground with that stuff now with all the falling hazards.

The other place I have fond memories of was a restaurant/bar called "The Locker Room". It was a sports themed place where the waitresses would wear Reds jerseys. The big draw as a kid was they had this big pre-video game, baseball video game thing you could play. It was like a big scoreboard looking thing, you would go up and put your quarters in and bring this big metal box back to your table. The ball would get pitched and you would hit this button on the box and it would tell you what type of hit you got. My parents would always bring a bunch of quarters, sit back and have a couple pitchers while all the kids would play this game.

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (06-23-2014), Falls City Beer (06-23-2014), KittyDuran (06-23-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I remember both Lunken playfield and The Locker Room.

The Lunken Playfield is still there. Not sure about the military hardware.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The Lunken Playfield is still there. Not sure about the military hardware.
    The playfield is still there, but in an entirely different form. The jet, tank, and train cars are long gone. In their place is a cookie cutter plastic playground that won't inspire a fraction of the imagination its predescessors did.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    The playfield is still there, but in an entirely different form. The jet, tank, and train cars are long gone. In their place is a cookie cutter plastic playground that won't inspire a fraction of the imagination its predescessors did.
    The train too? That's a shame. I feel like we're about the same age, but I actually don't remember military stuff and I do remember a plastic playground. There was definitely a train there when I was little, though.

What about the restaurant, is that still there? Sky...dive? It can't be called Skydive. I could google this but why would I do that when you guys are here? My family never went there because it was a super fancy expensive place. Can this possibly be true?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The train too? That's a shame. I feel like we're about the same age, but I actually don't remember military stuff and I do remember a plastic playground. There was definitely a train there when I was little, though.

What about the restaurant, is that still there? Sky...dive? It can't be called Skydive. I could google this but why would I do that when you guys are here? My family never went there because it was a super fancy expensive place. Can this possibly be true?
    I haven't bee to Lunken in years but the restaurant was still there then. They have a beer festival this weekend. I'll check it out.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

When my daughter had early morning rowing practice downtown last summer, I would walk the trail around Lunken. There is just a generic playground, but the restaurant is still there called the "Sky Galley."
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Oh yeah it was awesome. Whenever my parents drove across Beechmont Levy I would stare out that side of tbe window and check out the tank and plane.

- - - Updated - - -

Sky Galley was the restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Is the Anchor Grill still around in Covington?
    Yeah and they start serving beer at 6am. Last time I was there was finishing off a long night of drinking with my buddy with goetta omelettes and cans of Budweiser at 6:30.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-01-2014), KYRedsFan (06-28-2014)

Turn Off Ads?