Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

I think buffet and I think of Dufff's/ There was one in Milford and one on Beechmont I think, later, where one of those Buffalo Wild Wings places is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Ahhhhh!!! And that buffet place that got shut down for rats! What was that called? My grandparents used to take me there. My grandparents took me to a lot of grandparently restaurants, surprisgingly.
    Duff's Smorgasbord?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Anyone remember Fazio's, where you had to mark your groceries with a black crayon to indicate the price? Talk about the honor system..."Yeah, this box of cereal yis 50 cents...."

I don't think it was called Duff's...I feel like it started with a B...though I'm not sure I'd recognize it. I was pretty little when it got closed down.

I'm supposed to be packing, guys, not reminising on a message board.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I was banned from the go-kart place in Eastgate after crashing my go-kart. I was chasing a boy at the time.
    I'm sure my ball-foisting antics were designed to catch the eye of some belle. I was in 8th grade, I think.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

vatican plum:

I lived on State Rd in the house that now is on th ecorner of 5 mile and State across from the new library. It has a diamond shaped window on the second floor facing 5 Mile Road.

My mother's maiden name is Ayer, which is also the name of an elementary named for one of my relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    vatican plum:

I lived on State Rd in the house that now is on th ecorner of 5 mile and State across from the new library. It has a diamond shaped window on the second floor facing 5 Mile Road.

My mother's maiden name is Ayer, which is also the name of an elementary named for one of my relatives.
    I kid you not: I know exactly what house you're talking about. That was so close to where I grew up, and I also worked at that library during high school, before it was renovated. I got laid a lot in high school, obviously.

I kid you not: I know exactly what house you're talking about. That was so close to where I grew up, and I also worked at that library during high school, before it was renovated. I got laid a lot in high school, obviously.
    It was the house I was born in. Lived there from 1969 until around 1972, when we moved to Berkshire Rd and then out to Clermont County (the end of my sophistication lol).

That house had a bathroom in the hallway it wa so small. Used to sit with my mom and watch Paul Dixon and the Sonny and Cher Show.

I went to Sherwood Elementary for a stretch and then to Clough Pike. The same librarian I had as a kid is still there, 30 years later.

That library and hospital weren't there when I lived there.

I went to Sherwood Elementary for a stretch and then to Clough Pike. The same librarian I had as a kid is still there, 30 years later.
    It is important to note in this particular thread that some things in Cincinnati never, ever change.

Sometimes when I go back I realize they don't, VP.

Just remembered Shillito's at Beechmont Mall. They had those dark brown benches that used to give me splinters as a kid.

Just remembered Shillito's at Beechmont Mall. They had those dark brown benches that used to give me splinters as a kid.
    B. Dalton! Orange Julius! That music store across from Orange Julius where I bought my first tape! Ahhh!!!

edit: This buffet thing is officially driving me nuts now. Too bad my grandparents are asleep, I would call them.

B. Dalton! Orange Julius! That music store across from Orange Julius where I bought my first tape! Ahhh!!!

edit: This buffet thing is officially driving me nuts now. Too bad my grandparents are asleep, I would call them.
    Tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Tapes.
    They are kind of like 8-tracks, only more modern :

(I should shut my mouth...I'm sure there are many here who have never even touched a cassette tape, nor known the joy of a Texas Instruments sing-along tape recorder.)

Po' Folks, maybe? There was a Po' Folks on Beechmont I think, near the Wonderbread store. But that's not what I'm thinking of...I don't think this restaurant was part of a chain.

Anyone remember Record and Tape Outlet?

Riverside Ford was a bridge and a block from Downtown Cincinnati.

The First National Bank of Cincinnati was a big deal.

Folks were Friendlier at Albers - home of the Green Stamps.

I remember Channel 64 called WIII for the "I's of Cincinnati".

Anybody remember James Francis Scott O'Neill?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?