Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

The asbestos-ridden Sanders Hall towering above UC campus.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Beechmont Ave, my first apartment was on that street in Mt Washington, right behind Gold Star... hence why I love GS mor ethen Skyline.
    I grew up in Mt. Washington til I was eleven (and my family moved back there after I was grown up), and to this day it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the world. One of the most unpretentious places I've ever seen, literally project housing next to unsung 200+ year-old log cabins and Victorian houses, and pretty much unaware and nonchalant about it. Things that used to be in Mt. Washington but aren't anymore: the children's clothes store (Fantasia I think it was called), the old Kroger's (the new big one that backs up on the street makes me ill -- I refused to shop there every time I came home from college because of the size and layout), the Gold Star you're referring to (moved across the street), Hardee's (for the best, really), and some other things. El Rancho Rankin was condemned, and Beechmont Avenue there finally went to four lanes and they cut down a lot of trees to do it. There's a big ugly walgreen's now too. The little library where I spent every monday afternoon is still there though, along with the LaRosa's, the bakery, the drive-up liquor stand, stanbury Park, and of course the water tower.

Til recently my mother lived in a beautiful farmhouse on a good deal of land, built in 1900, that backed up onto a 13-acre polo farm with some horses, two cows, and Billy the Goat (who would sometimes break loose and roam through the neighborhood). This is smack in the middle of Mt. Washington, in the limits of the city of Cincinnati. This is really quite difficult to find in modern cities...I love Mt. Washington. I hope it never gets too gentrified or too awful.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

larry smith and the puppets

WKRP, Herb, Johnny Fever, Mr Carlson, Andy, Venus, Bailey, Les, and the Blonde.

Man Pills

The Jockey Club (if you count Newport)

Weidemann Beer

Van Leunen's

Brendamour's Sporting Goods

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

That library is at the base of the big water tower, isn't it?

I was up there a few years ago for my grandmother's funeral right across the street. The Linder family sent flowers, which was a bit....odd.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Van Leunen's
    Holy crap!!!!

They had a grocery store on the other side at the one on Ohio Pike in Amelia.

El Rancho Rankin...classic!!!!!!!!
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Brendamour's Sporting Goods
    Holy crap that is where I used to get my shinguards for soccer. If someone had held a gun to my head for a hundred years I would never have remembered the name of that place.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Holy crap that is where I used to get my shinguards for soccer.
    Me too.

Small(ish) world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    That library is at the base of the big water tower, isn't it?

I was up there a few years ago for my grandmother's funeral right across the street. The Linder family sent flowers, which was a bit....odd.
    Yep, and the post office is right next to it, with a cemetery behind them. I think that funeral home is called TP White's.

In that neck of the woods...what was the name of the old people's restaurant at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile where they gave you a whole chocolate cake for your birthday? I think it was a chain...but now there's something else there, an IHOP or something, which is riconkulous.

In that neck of the woods...what was the name of the old people's restaurant at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile where they gave you a whole chocolate cake for your birthday?
    Bill Knapp's.

And Putt Putt was across the street.

Man Pills

I was "removed" from that Putt-putt for hitting balls into the parking lot.

Ahhhhh!!! And that buffet place that got shut down for rats! What was that called? My grandparents used to take me there. My grandparents took me to a lot of grandparently restaurants, surprisgingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I was "removed" from that Putt-putt for hitting balls into the parking lot.

I was banned from the go-kart place in Eastgate after crashing my go-kart. I was chasing a boy at the time.

Turn Off Ads?