Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

La Dolce Vita

Re: Things That Used To Be Cincy But Are No More

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Uncle Al hit on my friend when she was 18... it involved the accordian as an icebreaker... creepy said she.

And another friend of mine (when she was 10) saw Captain Wendy chase Al down a boat dock whilst she had a pistol, he jumped in the Ohio river and she fired off the rounds, she missed and split... my friend cried.

I remember crying when I saw my cousin on Uncle Al, and I didn't get to go, too. Now I feel better.
    teach tolerance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

1. Hey Dom, if you went to 1st grade at Sherwood my sister may have been your teacher.

2. I worked in broadcasting in Cincy for several years, and I know stories about a lot of the names mentioned in this thread.

3. This is really obscure, but my favorite store in Cincinnati was on Main St. and was called "Bertrand Smith's Acres of Books". It was a narrow, 4-story building full of dusty old secondhand books, and when you bought one the guy who worked there wouldn't put it in a bag; he'd wrap it up into a parcel with brown paper and string. I dug the heck out of that; I felt like I was in London or something. It's probably been gone for 15 years.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Mark Sebastian's publicity stunts on Q-102
    "Everybody Wants You" Billy Squier for 24 hours!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I remember a rib place downtown kind of in an alley called The Rib Pit or The Rib Barn or something like that. I really liked it, although I only went there 3 or 4 times. I think it was between 6th and 7th streets. Anyone else been there?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Remember 'The Bat' at Kings' Island.
    How about the "Screamon Deamon?"

Anybody remember that downtown bar (on Walnut?) called "The Stadium Club"...It was pretty much a dive, but it had its charm for thirsty patrons.

Jimmy, the owner, reminded me alot of Coach from Cheers....except taller.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    There is a Shoney's on Sharon Rd (I think that's the name of the street), right around the corner from the original Burbank's BarBQ.
    There used to be a Friendly's over there that is now a Chinese buffet, IIRC.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    How about the "Screamon Deamon?"
    I haven't been to Kings Island in years. Do they still do some concerts at Timberwolf? Is there still a Festhaus? They stopped selling beer after someone fell in one of the ponds and drowned, IIRC. Is there still no beer sold there? Did I also hear correctly that they took the Animal Kingdom out as well?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The Cincinnati Royals.

Bob Shreve and his all night theatre. Used to buy quarts of Burger beer and watch chickey get a little longer.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Anybody remember that downtown bar (on Walnut?) called "The Stadium Club"...It was pretty much a dive, but it had its charm for thirsty patrons.

Jimmy, the owner, reminded me alot of Coach from Cheers....except taller.
    I do...I think. I remember that you had to walk down from street level to get to it and it was only a block or two from Riverfront. I remember eating there with my parents a couple of times before games back in the 70's. Seems to me it wasn't such a dive but maybe I was there before it went downhill or quite possibly I'm thinking of a different place altogether.

I miss the bars and restaurants that TeamBoone mentioned: Caddy's, Flannigan's, The Spaghetti Factory, Scully's. Hopefully they'll get "The Banks" project finished and restore some of those types of places in my lifetime.

Sleepout Louie's

The Cincinnati Playboy Club
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Yep, and the post office is right next to it, with a cemetery behind them. I think that funeral home is called TP White's.

In that neck of the woods...what was the name of the old people's restaurant at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile where they gave you a whole chocolate cake for your birthday? I think it was a chain...but now there's something else there, an IHOP or something, which is riconkulous.

Bill Knapp's I think.

Was it Ground Round that had all of the baseball helmet sundae's? It was at the corner of Beechmont and Nagel?

I always loved the Murray Bros. in Beechmont Mall as a kid. There might still be one downtown. Well.....Beechmont Mall is no more.

When I was a kid, I always loved these mushroom swiss burgers at Burger Chef. Now I hate burgers. Go figure.

**edit** Among other things....my grade school doesn't exist anymore. I went to Newtown Elementary on School St. They moved it to the old Turpin Middle School and called it Mercer (?)

I can't believe I had forgotten Putt Putt Golf. I lived for that place.
    Last edited by wolfboy; 08-22-2006 at 09:31 AM.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    I haven't been to Kings Island in years. Do they still do some concerts at Timberwolf? Is there still a Festhaus? They stopped selling beer after someone fell in one of the ponds and drowned, IIRC. Is there still no beer sold there? Did I also hear correctly that they took the Animal Kingdom out as well?
    Two summers ago I saw Modest Mouse at Timberwolf. I hadn't heard of any concerts there this summer though.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The terrace. Houston, there's no comparison.

Shillito's department stores. I believe they may be "Lazarus" now. Always advertised in the Reds yearbooks.

Swallens department stores.

Burger beer, Waite Hoyte's favorite.

Pete Rose and Johnny Bench Lincon-Mercury, a short lived venture, I believe.

Siebler Suits, The Siebler Tailoring Co. anyone know if they still exist?

Burger Beer

Turn Off Ads?