Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ted Lilly Bloodies Manager!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Ted Lilly Bloodies Manager!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2556925

TORONTO -- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons wound up with a bloody nose after tangling with Toronto pitcher Ted Lilly near the dugout during Monday night's game against Oakland.

It was not known whether any punches were thrown.

Lilly was pulled in the third inning, when the Athletics scored seven runs to close to 8-7. Gibbons chewed out the pitcher, who refused to give him the ball.

When Lilly left the mound for the locker room, Gibbons followed him. A team trainer and a number of players then ran down the stairs of the tunnel leading to the clubhouse.

Cameramen near the dugout saw Gibbons push Lilly first. A television camera later showed Gibbons with a bloody nose.

Gibbons challenged Shea Hillenbrand to a fight in July after the infielder wrote on the clubhouse bulletin board that the "ship was sinking." The Blue Jays designated Hillenbrand for assignment during the game and later traded him to San Francisco.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ted Lilly Bloodies Manager!

I see a manager getting fired soon.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Now that's a disfunctional clubhouse.

What's with these macho Bluejay managers? What'shisface made up all those stories about being a war hero in Vietnam. And droopy-drawers Gibbons wants to pick a fight with half his players...

:don't tell him I called him droopy drawers:
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Shades of Ray Knight following Mike Morgan back into the clubhouse in 1997.

Yikes!

Maybe now we can move Narron up to #29 on the current managers order of merit?

Gibbons obviously don't not the personality needed to handle the job. He challenges Hillebrand to a fight and gets into one with Lilly.

I guess he needs to work on his Problem Resolution skills
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Okay, John, now repeat after me. . .
    "I Feel Pretty...oh so pretty!" (Anger Management)

---'Roser

looks like Lilly said "i'm not giving you the f'ing ball" when Gibbons came out....after surrendering 7 runs in the 3rd, after being handed an 8-0 lead. Should be interesting.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

My wife's family knows Hillenbrand. Gibbons was a jerk, and the players didn't know how to react to him. Shea has adopted two children including the one over the Allstar break. The oldest got sick and went to the hospital, the hospital gave Shea and his wife a very difficult time, because apparently they didn't have some benign form for the kid to recieve medical care. Shea showed up late to the game, like 5:30 for a 7:10 game. Gibbons got irrate and Shea didn't back down, things got really ugly. This happened in late April, Gibbons held that grudge for the rest of the time Shea was there. Shea adopted the youngest kid over the Allstar break. His flight got cancelled and he arrived in Toronto late following the break. Gibbons had a clubhouse meeting before he arrived and basically held a vote, to dismiss Shea from the team, that was by no means unanimous. Riccardi was not happy about any of this, and thought the best way to remedy the situation was to immediately remove Shea. Shea is very happy in San Francisco.

Gibbons obviously said something to Lilly tonight. How would Lilly look in Reds uniform?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Gibbons obviously said something to Lilly tonight. How would Lilly look in Reds uniform?
    Great. I thought of that but I can't imagine he would get through waivers

Lilly won't be moved if what people are saying is right Gibbons will be fired before a mutiny happens.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Lilly won't be moved if what people are saying is right Gibbons will be fired before a mutiny happens.
    It is hard to keep a player after a fight with a manager, especially after blood was drawn. In addition, won't Lilly be a free agent after theyear.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    It is hard to keep a player after a fight with a manager, especially after blood was drawn. In addition, won't Lilly be a free agent after theyear.
    It probably will depend on how well liked Gibbons is vs. Lilly on who gets let go. J.P. has to ask himself will players want to come here based on the stories they are hearing about Gibbons and are seeing on the news. If I was a GM and had a manager that was out of control the answer would be clear.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

As my wife who is a 1st grade teacher would say, whoever is always in the center of conflict, is the reason for the conflict.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

If that's the case, wer're gonna lose several posters on Redszone
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?