Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Throw it all out...

  1. #1
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Throw it all out...

    Throw out all the records in the NL....
    Don't go look up the stats for any player or ball club....
    This isn't the AL - so who cares what their managers think....
    Forget that Everyday Eddie is on the DL, along with the Majewski and others..
    Forget who plays short stop now and then....
    And who starts at 3rd...
    Don't let the talking heads at ESPN try to tell you anything different....
    And all that talk at the start of the season - forget it...
    Forget the Wild Card... Lets get the Central....


    FORGET IT ALL

    Why?

    Because this is PLAYOFF BASEBALL BABY!



    Enjoy it... GO REDS.
    Last edited by RedsMan3203; 08-21-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    64

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Amen!!!

    It's not about the stats, it's about the heart and desire that is put in between the foul poles for 9 innings a night....

    What an unbelievable ride it has been!

  4. #3
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,899

    Re: Throw it all out...

    We've officially reached the point in the season where one fortuitous week makes the team or one disastrous week breaks them. All you can do now is put your hands up and enjoy the roller coaster.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SE Of the NC Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Who knows.. Anything can happen. I've been waiting for this team to implod since about the midding of June to the beginning of July. It hasn't really happened yet, so maybe it won't
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Throw it all out...

    This team is pleasantly perplexing in that if you look at it on paper..........you wonder how in the heck they are doing this.
    Who's on first?

  7. #6
    Member paulrichjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Savannah, TN
    Posts
    2,879

    Re: Throw it all out...

    For the first time this year I actually felt like it was 1999 again. All year I have been thinking, "this team doesn't feel like the 1999 team." Tonight it did. Now let's just keep the Astros, Padres, Braves, Brewers, Phils, DBacks, Marlins and on and on and on from catching us. Is it just me or does it feel that the entire NL is 2 games behind us?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

  8. #7
    Moderator Tommyjohn25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    1,848

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Is it just me or does it feel that the entire NL is 2 games behind us?

    NO!! It's not just you, I feel the same way. It's actually starting to haunt my dreams! The Philly Fanatic chasing me around etc etc....bad stuff.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

  9. #8
    "So Fla Red"
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    South Florida - The Real Humidor
    Posts
    5,067

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Huge, huge win tonight. I was pretty depressed tonight when I saw the 3-0 update in the 7th inning and couldn't believe they pulled it out with a late 4-spot

    Need 2/3 to bury the Astros and to regain confidence before a brutal WC swing, now they should be thinking sweep to push this thing out to seven over... First series with an opening victory in the last four.

    Arroyo who carried the staff in the nice April-mid June spurt, looks back in form with two straight good outings against divisional rivals -- and two Reds wins. Should be a good confidence boost to the rest of the team.

  10. #9
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,126

    Re: Throw it all out...

    On one of the game threads, someone commented that Aurilia's back must be hurting, carrying the team like he was - and that was before the homer. I think this is the beauty of baseball as a team sport. One night it's this guy, the next another, sometimes it's everybody and it's Marty's proverbial old buttwhipping (and wouldn't it be nice to have one of those right now?).

    I noticed someone resurrected a thread from back in January titled "Is There Any Hope" and just looking all the "if's" that would be needed for this season to be successful and most of those "if's" are gone.

    It's a ragtag group, this team. I'm hoping it's not Wayne's Frankenstein monster (and I don't think it is).

    ChatterReds description of this team "pleasantly perplexing" pretty much nails it.

  11. #10
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: Throw it all out...

    I remember when the Cast sale finally became official: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When Wayne was named GM: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When we got off to a pretty darned good start: We told ourselves to be patient.
    We had seen this every year. We had watched a couple of good starts in previous years go down the drain in the midst of some large collapses. We had watched our previous GMs either sell the team, or spin around in their office chair around and round while the team fell apart.
    We expected it this year. But this year was different. Our Gm kept pulling moves out of his butt - some have not worked, but some have helped oh so much. The team has continued playing like a team instead of a bunch of players.
    I still remain slightly skeptical - but, man am I enjoying the ride. And the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,754

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    On one of the game threads, someone commented that Aurilia's back must be hurting, carrying the team like he was - and that was before the homer. I think this is the beauty of baseball as a team sport. One night it's this guy, the next another, sometimes it's everybody and it's Marty's proverbial old buttwhipping (and wouldn't it be nice to have one of those right now?).

    I noticed someone resurrected a thread from back in January titled "Is There Any Hope" and just looking all the "if's" that would be needed for this season to be successful and most of those "if's" are gone.

    It's a ragtag group, this team. I'm hoping it's not Wayne's Frankenstein monster (and I don't think it is).

    ChatterReds description of this team "pleasantly perplexing" pretty much nails it.
    Aurillia is playing awesome, but he is not carrying this team. Freel has been hitting well, EE has been on fire and Ross continues to get it done. Dunn and Clayton even had big hits at different times the last couple of nights. And Jr is as hot as he has been all year.

    This is a team where anyone can get it done on any given night. and they are fun to watch.

    Oh and I take back every bad thing I have ever said about Rich Aurillia. Guy has had a fabulous year.

    I hope Krivsky doesn't get fooled into thinking Rich is our SS next season, but I love him there the rest of this year. He has been doing an excellent job.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,754

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    I remember when the Cast sale finally became official: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When Wayne was named GM: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When we got off to a pretty darned good start: We told ourselves to be patient.
    We had seen this every year. We had watched a couple of good starts in previous years go down the drain in the midst of some large collapses. We had watched our previous GMs either sell the team, or spin around in their office chair around and round while the team fell apart.
    We expected it this year. But this year was different. Our Gm kept pulling moves out of his butt - some have not worked, but some have helped oh so much. The team has continued playing like a team instead of a bunch of players.
    I still remain slightly skeptical - but, man am I enjoying the ride. And the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    How about Schoweinweis with the save last night? Amazing. Lohse goes tonight. If he has another good outing, Krivsky is officially a genius.

    I think the thing he understands is that for a solid pitcher, a change in leagues can provide a temporary bump in production while the league scouts and gets used to a guy. Given there are only 6 or so weeks left in the season, this is a great time to pick up pitchers like that to fill holes if you can and hope for the bump to last for the rest of this year.

    The key then is knowing what to do with them in the offseason. Really evaluating them on what they can do rather than their Aug/Sept numbers. That is the hard part. If Lohse (for example) continues on this hot streak the rest of the season, is he the real deal and a guy you resign? Or do you let him go because he really isn't this good.

  14. #13
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    2,673

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Quote Originally Posted by goodwilly98
    Amen!!!

    It's not about the stats, it's about the heart and desire that is put in between the foul poles for 9 innings a night....

    What an unbelievable ride it has been!
    "Ya Gotta Beleive!" (73 New York Mets)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

  15. #14
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,126

    Re: Throw it all out...

    Aurillia is playing awesome, but he is not carrying this team. Freel has been hitting well, EE has been on fire and Ross continues to get it done. Dunn and Clayton even had big hits at different times the last couple of nights. And Jr is as hot as he has been all year.
    I should have been clearer. I think the post I mentioned was talking about last night's game in particular. His 4/4 was huge last night. The rest of what you wrote is exactly what I'm talking about. Different guys doing it on different nights. That's a team and it's getting lots of fun.

  16. #15
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Throw it all out...

    You don't pick the year. The year picks you.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25