Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throw it all out...

Throw it all out...

Throw out all the records in the NL....
    Don't go look up the stats for any player or ball club....
    This isn't the AL - so who cares what their managers think....
    Forget that Everyday Eddie is on the DL, along with the Majewski and others..
    Forget who plays short stop now and then....
    And who starts at 3rd...
    Don't let the talking heads at ESPN try to tell you anything different....
    And all that talk at the start of the season - forget it...
    Forget the Wild Card... Lets get the Central....

FORGET IT ALL

Why?

Because this is PLAYOFF BASEBALL BABY!

Enjoy it... GO REDS.
    Last edited by RedsMan3203; 08-21-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Throw it all out...

Amen!!!

It's not about the stats, it's about the heart and desire that is put in between the foul poles for 9 innings a night....

What an unbelievable ride it has been!

We've officially reached the point in the season where one fortuitous week makes the team or one disastrous week breaks them. All you can do now is put your hands up and enjoy the roller coaster.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Who knows.. Anything can happen. I've been waiting for this team to implod since about the midding of June to the beginning of July. It hasn't really happened yet, so maybe it won't

This team is pleasantly perplexing in that if you look at it on paper..........you wonder how in the heck they are doing this.

For the first time this year I actually felt like it was 1999 again. All year I have been thinking, "this team doesn't feel like the 1999 team." Tonight it did. Now let's just keep the Astros, Padres, Braves, Brewers, Phils, DBacks, Marlins and on and on and on from catching us. Is it just me or does it feel that the entire NL is 2 games behind us?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Is it just me or does it feel that the entire NL is 2 games behind us?

NO!! It's not just you, I feel the same way. It's actually starting to haunt my dreams! The Philly Fanatic chasing me around etc etc....bad stuff.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

"So Fla Red"

Huge, huge win tonight. I was pretty depressed tonight when I saw the 3-0 update in the 7th inning and couldn't believe they pulled it out with a late 4-spot

Need 2/3 to bury the Astros and to regain confidence before a brutal WC swing, now they should be thinking sweep to push this thing out to seven over... First series with an opening victory in the last four.

Arroyo who carried the staff in the nice April-mid June spurt, looks back in form with two straight good outings against divisional rivals -- and two Reds wins. Should be a good confidence boost to the rest of the team.

On one of the game threads, someone commented that Aurilia's back must be hurting, carrying the team like he was - and that was before the homer. I think this is the beauty of baseball as a team sport. One night it's this guy, the next another, sometimes it's everybody and it's Marty's proverbial old buttwhipping (and wouldn't it be nice to have one of those right now?).

I noticed someone resurrected a thread from back in January titled "Is There Any Hope" and just looking all the "if's" that would be needed for this season to be successful and most of those "if's" are gone.

It's a ragtag group, this team. I'm hoping it's not Wayne's Frankenstein monster (and I don't think it is).

ChatterReds description of this team "pleasantly perplexing" pretty much nails it.

I remember when the Cast sale finally became official: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When Wayne was named GM: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When we got off to a pretty darned good start: We told ourselves to be patient.
    We had seen this every year. We had watched a couple of good starts in previous years go down the drain in the midst of some large collapses. We had watched our previous GMs either sell the team, or spin around in their office chair around and round while the team fell apart.
    We expected it this year. But this year was different. Our Gm kept pulling moves out of his butt - some have not worked, but some have helped oh so much. The team has continued playing like a team instead of a bunch of players.
    I still remain slightly skeptical - but, man am I enjoying the ride. And the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    On one of the game threads, someone commented that Aurilia's back must be hurting, carrying the team like he was - and that was before the homer. I think this is the beauty of baseball as a team sport. One night it's this guy, the next another, sometimes it's everybody and it's Marty's proverbial old buttwhipping (and wouldn't it be nice to have one of those right now?).

I noticed someone resurrected a thread from back in January titled "Is There Any Hope" and just looking all the "if's" that would be needed for this season to be successful and most of those "if's" are gone.

It's a ragtag group, this team. I'm hoping it's not Wayne's Frankenstein monster (and I don't think it is).

ChatterReds description of this team "pleasantly perplexing" pretty much nails it.
    Aurillia is playing awesome, but he is not carrying this team. Freel has been hitting well, EE has been on fire and Ross continues to get it done. Dunn and Clayton even had big hits at different times the last couple of nights. And Jr is as hot as he has been all year.

This is a team where anyone can get it done on any given night. and they are fun to watch.

Oh and I take back every bad thing I have ever said about Rich Aurillia. Guy has had a fabulous year.

I hope Krivsky doesn't get fooled into thinking Rich is our SS next season, but I love him there the rest of this year. He has been doing an excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    I remember when the Cast sale finally became official: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When Wayne was named GM: We told ourselves to be patient.
    When we got off to a pretty darned good start: We told ourselves to be patient.
    We had seen this every year. We had watched a couple of good starts in previous years go down the drain in the midst of some large collapses. We had watched our previous GMs either sell the team, or spin around in their office chair around and round while the team fell apart.
    We expected it this year. But this year was different. Our Gm kept pulling moves out of his butt - some have not worked, but some have helped oh so much. The team has continued playing like a team instead of a bunch of players.
    I still remain slightly skeptical - but, man am I enjoying the ride. And the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    How about Schoweinweis with the save last night? Amazing. Lohse goes tonight. If he has another good outing, Krivsky is officially a genius.

I think the thing he understands is that for a solid pitcher, a change in leagues can provide a temporary bump in production while the league scouts and gets used to a guy. Given there are only 6 or so weeks left in the season, this is a great time to pick up pitchers like that to fill holes if you can and hope for the bump to last for the rest of this year.

The key then is knowing what to do with them in the offseason. Really evaluating them on what they can do rather than their Aug/Sept numbers. That is the hard part. If Lohse (for example) continues on this hot streak the rest of the season, is he the real deal and a guy you resign? Or do you let him go because he really isn't this good.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwilly98
    Amen!!!

It's not about the stats, it's about the heart and desire that is put in between the foul poles for 9 innings a night....

What an unbelievable ride it has been!
    "Ya Gotta Beleive!" (73 New York Mets)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Aurillia is playing awesome, but he is not carrying this team. Freel has been hitting well, EE has been on fire and Ross continues to get it done. Dunn and Clayton even had big hits at different times the last couple of nights. And Jr is as hot as he has been all year.
    I should have been clearer. I think the post I mentioned was talking about last night's game in particular. His 4/4 was huge last night. The rest of what you wrote is exactly what I'm talking about. Different guys doing it on different nights. That's a team and it's getting lots of fun.

You don't pick the year. The year picks you.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?