Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping Aurilia for 2007

Re: Keeping Aurilia for 2007

I believe that is right. It is a team option and player option.

I have a problem with Rich starting over Felipe last year and EE this year. But he was productive during a lot of that time, at least this year. I also have a problem with some of the things he said in the press last year. But I love what he brings to the club and his attitude in the press this year has been great. and if he is your backup 1B/2B/SS/3B and starts every day against LHP and periodically against RHP, that is the perfect way to use him. I really like having Rich and Castro as the backup IFers and leaving Freel out in the OF. He has really been the best OFer defensively I have seen in a long time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is so weird. I'm sorry but I can truly say that I have never seen a player go through a Redszone opinion change like Rich has. Somewhere there is a man with a large binder smiling right now...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    This is so weird. I'm sorry but I can truly say that I have never seen a player go through a Redszone opinion change like Rich has. Somewhere there is a man with a large binder smiling right now...
    Rich Aurillia isn't a bad player -- he's just not an everday player. His L/R splits are a sight to behold, and as long as he's used in a role that maximizes his skills hitting LH pitching, he can be a valuable asset to a bench and a lineup -- espeically given that he can play all 4 infield positions with some degree of proficency (albeit not a great deal at SS).

Since the Reds picked Hatteberg's option up for next year, it leads me to believe they're not anticipating Joey Votto winning a roster spot out of ST next season. Given that, it only makes sense to pick up Aurillia's option for next year and return the platoon at 1B.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I hurled some vituperation at RA early last year and have repented more than once. The guy has really impressed me over the last year and a half, both with the bat and with his versatility in the field. Narron was right about him. Keep him around.

At somepoint the Hat and RA will revert, but (and this is a painful thing to say) that I have been impressed with the way the "veteran precense" has done well at times this year keeping the Reds in the chase.

I'd be ok with RA back, but $4 million for Hat and RA, I think is a bit much, IMO. Would be interesting to see if RA decides to hit the road and try again.

He's still a pompous arse.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero
    Aurilia gets a lot of grief on these boards, but the guy is clutch. I wish they kept stats like key hits because I suspect he would be one of the top two or three on the team in that category.
    Close and late: .170/.259/.255 (and that includes last night's bomb!)
    RISP: .265/.301/.470
    RISP/2 out: .261/.261/.391
    Men on, 2 out: .246/.246/.354

I've been pleasantly surprised with Aurilia's overall production but in the so-called "clutch" stats, he's been lacking.

I agree with Caveat that Rich should be brought back to platoon with Hatt at 1B. Move Phillips to SS and either go after a 2B in the offseason or try Harris or another youngster there.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    I hurled some vituperation at RA early last year and have repented more than once. The guy has really impressed me over the last year and a half, both with the bat and with his versatility in the field. Narron was right about him. Keep him around.
    I'm the same, lollipopcurve.

It seemed to me that all he could do was whine last spring when the 2005 season started, and I was sick of him from the get go. He stopped complaining once Lopez got hot, and then RA started playing well, too.

Rich Aurilia has gone from one of my least favorites, to one of my favorite Reds in just one year. I love his versatility, his hard-nosed attitude, and his penchant for the clutch hit.

For 2007, play him mostly at 2B, platoon him with Hatte at first, and move Phillips to SS next year.
    Last edited by Always Red; 08-22-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    sorry we're boring

i was a Rich doubter, but this guys clutch.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Now that he gets to play WITH Edwin....absolutely you bring him back next year.

He's been a huge addition to this team

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket
    Take that option and move him over to 2nd. Let Phillips work on the move back to SS all winter and our line-up is set.

CF Freel
    1B Hatte
    3rd EE
    LF Dunn
    RF Griffey
    2B Aurilla
    SS Phillips
    C Ross

That is my perfect lineup for this team.

Sign him to be player/manager. Why should Narron take all the credit for Aurilia being clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I'd be ok with RA back, but $4 million for Hat and RA, I think is a bit much, IMO. Would be interesting to see if RA decides to hit the road and try again.

If you think $4 million is a lot for the production that those guys have given at 1b then I imagine you really did hate the Casey price. Hey the way Krivs collects people that we "think" we do not need I imagine he will sign Aurilla and Casey for next year.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?