Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Aurilia for 2007

Keeping Aurilia for 2007

With a 2 million dollar option, it seems like a no brainer.

You can hate him all you want for taking away some playing time from EdE earlier on, but he can swing the bat a little bit. Look at his stats! At 2 million next year, he'd be a bargain to keep around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keeping Aurilia for 2007

Yes, we really need to keep him for next year.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Take that option and move him over to 2nd. Let Phillips work on the move back to SS all winter and our line-up is set.

CF Freel
    1B Hatte
    3rd EE
    LF Dunn
    RF Griffey
    2B Aurilla
    SS Phillips
    C Ross

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1
    With a 2 million dollar option, it seems like a no brainer.

You can hate him all you want for taking away some playing time from EdE earlier on, but he can swing the bat a little bit. Look at his stats! At 2 million next year, he'd be a bargain to keep around.
    I agree. Another thing to add is that even with the superstar stud power hitters (Griffey, Dunn etc..), it's the guys like R.A., Hatte, and Ross who are going to be the difference makers this season should the Reds make it to the playoffs (as though they haven't already)

I think you keep him no doubt. He doesn't need to be jerked around all over the IF though. Sign him, have him at least start the season as the everyday 2B. Move Phillips to SS.

I agree. Move Phillips to SS, entrench Aurillia at 2B, let EE play all the time at 3B, put Hatteberg at 1B........and occasionally give guys days off by rotating the infield and inserting Freel. Let Freel play RF all the time and be the leadoff hitter.......or put Phillips at leadoff. Keep Castro as the utility infielder and let Clayton go in free agency.

I sign him for sure. I do think that he, Hatte, and Griffey are getting to the point where frequent rest is needed. Freel needs time off too with the way he plays.

I Play Phillips at SS and Freel at 2B. Aurelia platoons 1B with Hat and fills in for EE, Phillips and Freel. Freel also spells Griffey (in RF), Dunn and whoever we sign to play CF (Hunter!!!). Freel, Aurelia, Griffey and hat all get 450 to 500 ABs or so and seven positions are covered for injury depth this way. Dunn, Edwin and Phillips play more with only a day or two off each month.

Aurelia and Freel are key to keeping the team playing at a high level with no obvious holes even when keeping everyone rested and fresh.

$2 Million is a bargain.

I think Aurillia is better playing everyday. His hitting surely is.

ORG Infidel

Aurilia gets a lot of grief on these boards, but the guy is clutch. I wish they kept stats like key hits because I suspect he would be one of the top two or three on the team in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero
    Aurilia gets a lot of grief on these boards, but the guy is clutch. I wish they kept stats like key hits because I suspect he would be one of the top two or three on the team in that category.
    He mostly got grief about the way he was used. When he was starting at SS last year over Lopez and this year at 3rd over EE people were (rightfully) furious. Not that it was Aurilia's fault, but it put him in the middle of some negative tension.

Now that he is used in places where he is the best option, the complaining has stopped and people like Aurilia for the player he is.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1
    In fairness, I don't think people hold it against Rich that Narron was penciling him in at third base against righties for over a month. What is he going to say? "No way I'm playing tonight skip, Edwin is clearly the better choice!!" That's probably a touch unrealistic

Someone needs to to platoon with Hat/Votto next year, and provide overall infield depth. Given the way he's played the last couple of years it should probably be Rich.

The Reds should absolutely keep Richie for next year! He is a valuable part of the team, and I believe that he is becoming the vocal leader in the clubhouse. I like the idea of starting him at 2B with Phillips moving to SS.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

"So Fla Red"

A gushing lovefest for one of the all-time RZ whipping boys.

I'm speechless

Isn't the 2 million dollar option a player and team option both? I have a sneaky feeling that Richy could get greedy and try to fetch more elsewhere. I hope I am wrong.

I never thought I would find myself saying this - but, yes, I do believe it would be rather nice to have Rich back next year.
    If not for second, at least for his ability to readily handle all four infield possitions, and apparent willingness to play the outfield, as well. Wonder if he can catch?

Turn Off Ads?