Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ears is struggling

Ears is struggling

Austin Kearns went 0-for-4 on Monday and is batting .220 with one homer in 34 games for the Nationals.

Kearns wasn't happy to be traded to the Nationals and it's really showing up in his performance. Either he'll get used it or he'll be moved again in the offseason. There would be plenty of interest in him even if he keeps slumping.
    -rotoworld

That's not good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ears is struggling

As long as he's not in a REDS uniform its OK.

Maybe the Nats would take Majewski for him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't like to see unhappy ballplayers. The Nats could potentially be good in a few years if they ditch Jimbo...if Kearns has to stay hopefully he will get to be part of a decent team.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Well, another article mentioned that he was working with the Nats' batting coach to fix his swing. I wouldn't say he's washed up yet. Maybe it will take awhile for the adjustments to click. Note, I'm also not saying he's an MVP or anything like that.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Well, another article mentioned that he was working with the Nats' batting coach to fix his swing. I wouldn't say he's washed up yet. Maybe it will take awhile for the adjustments to click. Note, I'm also not saying he's an MVP or anything like that.
    He was never good enough to be "washed up."

He is a never was.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

imagine...Kearns not happy playing MLB and getting paid well to do it? Has he ever really been happy? I thought that was his problem here? I think TEAM CLARK has Kearns pegged....
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Plenty of sour grapes from Reds fans...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Kearns just got the rude awakening all of us get sooner or later.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Kearns is an example of a very talented guy who is a mediocre major leaguer because he refuses to work hard. He's so talented he could fly through the minor leagues w/o hard work but the major leagues are full of talented players and and if you don't work hard at that level you'll get left behind. Give me lesser talented guys like Ryan Freel who work their butts off over prima donnas like Austin Kearns.

I honestly think the reason the Reds decided to finally cut bait wih Kearns is because they felt he never would give it his all

I think they (front office and fans alike) expected Joe Dimaggio and were disappointed when he didn't live up to those impossible expectations. Being a good player at 26 simply isn't enough when all the hype says you're supposed to have locked up a spot in the Hall of Fame by that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I think they (front office and fans alike) expected Joe Dimaggio and were disappointed when he didn't live up to those impossible expectations. Being a good player at 26 simply isn't enough when all the hype says you're supposed to have locked up a spot in the Hall of Fame by that age.
    He also showed up to camp in 2005 grossly out of shape. He spent his free time playing X-Box rather than watching film or working in the batting cage. For a guy with such a short, compact swing he sure struck out an awful lot. I think they felt he wasn't very coachable in the batting cage either. They also saw a guy who was going to be getting quite expensive as his service time accumulates.

I have no problem with trading him. I hope they got maximum value for him but I don't know.

In the real world he turned out not to be Joe Dimaggio but instead, Xavier Nady, (and that might even be generous).

But he has the pedigree...

So many times I heard that I wanted to

I ask ya--after the YEARS of torture in Cincy, how awful would it be to go back to work and see Jim Bowden's pink-piggy sociopathic face every day. I feel for Kearns, but he's got to be a pro.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I was hoping for Al Kaline (same initials) but as it turns out AK has yet to meet the more-modest Kevin McReynold's comparison (FWIW, I still like my "Dunn = McCovey" call...Adam makes opposing pitchers whimper, just like Stretch)

Someone will take a look at Kearn's "potential" and give him another shot. But the Red's OF hasn't missed a beat without Austin. Time marches on...hey, maybe Jay Bruce will be another Larry Walker and Drew Stubbs the "next Dimaggio"?
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?