Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Upcoming Calif. roadtrip - dream or nightmare?

Upcoming Calif. roadtrip - dream or nightmare?

I don't know why but this trip has been concerning me for the last 2 months. So many good Reds teams have gone out there to die in years past. The 4 games in SF, 3 in LA and 3 in SD - all against teams who desperately need to beat the Reds for their own postseason hopes - are downright scary. The 4 against the Giants are particularly important. It seems, historically for the Reds at least, that series in SF can quickly spiral out of control with a loss in the first game.

The Reds certainly haven't had one of these all-California trips this late in the season since they were in the NL West. And even though SD and SF still visit Cincinnati, much could be decided on this trip. 3-7 would be a disaster. I would do backflips for a 6-4 record. And I'd even take 5-5.

So while the next two games vs. HOU are of utmost importance, the 10-game trip to the Golden State is like the elephant standing in the room.

Any thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Upcoming Calif. roadtrip - dream or nightmare?

It's the defining point of the season so far.

If they come out of that 13 game span (they come back to play the Giants at home) with thier heads still above water, they will make the playoffs.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

If they get back form that trip still leading the WC,I think they will hang on to that playoff spot. But if they fall two or three games behind, it may very tough to make the playoffs. Yes I agree with REDSFAN30, I think it will be the defining point of the season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Nightmare.

We could feasibly go 3-7 on the West Coast trip. The Giants are the only team I feel comfortable against.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Nightmare.

We could feasibly go 3-7 on the West Coast trip. The Giants are the only team I feel comfortable against.
    The Giants are so unpredictable. Win 4. Lose 8. Win 5. Lose 4.

Hopefully we can catch them on a slide. And hopefully we can keep Bonds in the park. But I would trade 5 Bonds HR in that series for 3 Reds wins.

This road trip is an enigma. So many times in the past, the West Coast trips have killed us. That said, we're playing so well on the road this year. I'm hopeful, but know we have our work cut out for us.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Keep in mind that San Diego is better on the road than in Petco. I think they will go 5-5 (2SF,1LA & 2SD)
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Will it be a dream or nightmare? Well.... the Reds teams usually don't do well on trips to the west coast, I wonder if one of our stats guys can dig up whether that happens for west coast teams that come east. Or also if it happens for other east teams that go on west coast tours because of time changes or climates. But we'll find out if it's a dream or nightmare when we wake up at home.

seriously, do you have any stats of teams going from east to west or vise versa and it being typically difficult?

I've been meaning to go back to see what the Reds record is on the West Coast for the last twenty years. I've lived in SD and SF for that time and I just don't catch a lot of victories.

Was it last year they went to Oakland and got their behind handed to them?
    Last edited by Rojo; 08-22-2006 at 07:12 PM.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Forever I've watched them come out here and hurt themselves, example in 1979 they won the divison, yet were 2-7 in SF, 5-4 in SD and 6-3 in LA, in 1990 they were 1-8 in San Francisco, 5-4 in LA and 6-3 in SD, historically they usually seemed to have troubles with at least 2 of the 3 each season.

They owned the Padres in the 70's though.

Man, I would be thrilled to come out of this with a .500 record, particularly if we did well vs SD. Naturally, it would be great to do better than .500, but I'm just hoping to tread water on this trip.

Let's not get swept by LA again.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All those ballparks play a little bigger than the ballparks in the central division where the Reds play the majority of their games. It may help the pitchers, but I'm not sure what it will do to the offense.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?