Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Pirates Trade

Potential Pirates Trade

Per Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Pirates Notebook: GM in search of left-handed power bat
    ATLANTA -- The Pirates plan to search for a left-handed power bat to play first base or right field in 2007, preferably someone young enough that they can control his rights for several seasons. (08/22/2006)

Perhaps Krivsky will offer Votto for SP. Could be just right for both teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential Pirates Trade

They want a young left-handed power bat that they can control the rights for several seasons?

Yeah there are a ton of those guys in the league.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    They want a young left-handed power bat that they can control the rights for several seasons?

Yea...and so they can control that player as he sits in the black hole that is Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly

Exactly, I agree (assuming you are being sarcastic). That is why I believe the Reds are actually in good position for this one. Votto is not so can't miss that the Reds wouldn't dream of trading him without getting back the Pirates 4 best starters. But is still a top prospect in any organization.

Perhaps the Reds could pry away Mike Gonzalez and a SP (Snell, Maholm, or Duke). I realize it would take more than Votto, but maybe not that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney
    Exactly, I agree (assuming you are being sarcastic). That is why I believe the Reds are actually in good position for this one. Votto is not so can't miss that the Reds wouldn't dream of trading him without getting back the Pirates 4 best starters. But is still a top prospect in any organization.

Perhaps the Reds could pry away Mike Gonzalez and a SP (Snell, Maholm, or Duke). I realize it would take more than Votto, but maybe not that much more.
    I wouldn't be opposed to that. To me 1st base can be filled easier than most positions. If you are not worried about getting a "young and Cheap" player. There are pretty many scrappy vets looking for a jobs. Hatteburg is a good example of that.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney
    I think you'd have to look at one or the other. The Pirates aren't going to give up both a young closer and a young starter in the same deal. Knowing the price of young pitching these days, you'd have to add to Votto just to get Maholm.

The Pirates under Littlefield can be delusional in trade talks right up until the point where they get backed into a corner by a deadline and have to take the best deal available. That means they want Votto, but they also want to keep Duke, Snell, Gorzo & Maholm to build a young pitching staff. They want you to take Burnett and a throw-in instead. More likely, they'll sit tight, keep the pitchers and stay with Nady and the AAA strike-out machine...what's his name, Eldred.

Votto straight up for Maholm. Throw in Denorfia to get it done.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    No way I do that. Maholm is close to his ceiling already and isn't likely to be much greater than average.

Votto is one of the top 50 prospects, and I certainly wouldn't include Denorfia in the same trade either.

Brad Eldred is Rob Stratton with more celing.

They'll at somepoint let him try 1b again.

Casey might have found a home in Detroit though.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Hes given up 177 hits in 146.1 innings this year along with 66 walks.
    That would probably be even worse if he had the Reds defense behind him instead of the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    No way I do that. Maholm is close to his ceiling already and isn't likely to be much greater than average.

Votto is one of the top 50 prospects, and I certainly wouldn't include Denorfia in the same trade either.
    Close to his ceiling? Based on what? The guy was a top three pick just two years ago, right behind Verlander. Trade from a strength to acquire a weakness. Sign me up.
    Go BLUE!!!

Close to his ceiling? Based on what? The guy was a top three pick just two years ago, right behind Verlander. Trade from a strength to acquire a weakness. Sign me up.
    He was a signability pick. He never had huge upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    He was a signability pick. He never had huge upside.
    No, you may be confusing him with Bryan Bullington. Maholm was not a signability pick but a consensus top-5 player going into the draft.
    Go BLUE!!!

Maholm is Brandon Claussen

Maybe not a signability pick, but he certainly was never considered anything other than a middle of the rotation starter.

Turn Off Ads?