Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The catcher's stats stats (broken down)

Re: The catcher's stats stats (broken down)

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    Personally I'd rather see LaRue starting before Ross just because he is way better defensively and throwing runners out. He also handles the pitching staff better than either of the other two. IMO, LaRue 4 days a week, Ross 2, and Valentin 1 would be the way to go. The record with LaRue catching says enough in itself.
    Ross has the best ZR, RF, fewest PB, best fielding %, most PO, thrown out 8 of 20. (ML average around 30?)
    Larue has thrown out 13 of 29
    Valentin 8 of 16.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    It totally amazes me that LaRue and Valentin have nearly the same number of AB's as Ross when they play so much less than he does.
    Ross had a DL stint.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    It totally amazes me that LaRue and Valentin have nearly the same number of AB's as Ross when they play so much less than he does.
    LaRue hasn't played really any less. Only lately. Ross has one more plate appearance and two more games than LaRue.

Games by month: (starts are estimated based on PA's from that game)
    April:
    LaRue (DL'd for a bit): 6
    Ross: 9 (8 starts)

May
    LaRue: 18 (17 starts)
    Ross: 10 (7 starts)

June
    LaRue: 9 (6 starts)
    Ross: 21 (16 starts)

July
    LaRue: 18 (17 starts)
    Ross: 8 (5 starts) DL time

August
    LaRue: 10 (5 starts)
    Ross: 15 (14 starts)

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I'm gonna have to disagree big time.

But I've been over it many times before.

I'm in no way trying to downplay what Ross has done this season. He has been fantastic. But LaRue's record when playing has to say something more than "he catches Harang's starts".

I'm in no way trying to downplay what Ross has done this season. He has been fantastic. But LaRue's record when playing has to say something more than "he catches Harang's starts".
    Actually it doesn't.

Considering how bad some of the other pitchers we have run out there and Larue only catches Harang every time.

Ross misses the best pitcher on the staff and Larue only catches the best pitcher on the staff. Pretty obvious.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

2006 Salaries

Jason LaRue = $3,900,000

David Ross = $500,000

That tells me all I need to know. LaRue isn't giving us what he's worth, and Ross is exceeding our perceived return on investment.

Pretty sure LaRue's gonna make something silly like $5 Mil next year. Great.

What exactly is it LaRue does to propel the team to victory when he's behind the plate?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Must be the scrappy veteran presence.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    Now why do we do so much better with LaRue catching? The majority of his starts are with Harang pitching, our winningest pitcher. We are 17-10 when Harang pitches. Ross has been catching E.Z. a lot and the cast of characters in the #5 slot so his record is a lot worse as a result.
    Because Ross calls the same game over and over and over. He really needs someone to step up and help him with his sequences. I looked it up on our Inside Edge account. I checked Harang and Arroyo's starts with him behind the plate. I checked certain hitters that were having a great deal of success against those two. Then I checked those hitters against teams that only see Harang or Arroyo once but hit them hard. Same pitch patterns, same game called almost pitch for pitch. I almost fell off my chair.

Advance scouts and pro scouts do not miss this stuff. This is why teams know exactly what to look for from those two. Fortunately, wit Harang's last start his "stuff" was really sharp. Although he repeated the same sequence over and over and over. Wow.

Arroyo avoided disaster against the Astros the other night. He's lucky their hitters were not at the level to really pick him off.

LaRue calls a better game then most people give him credit for. Ross will adjust. He does not have a lot of time in the bigs. Just goes to show you how important it is to have a Catching Coach. Narron is way too busy to oversee this type of thing.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

But it shouldn't go unnoticed or untouched, should it, Team Clark? Surely someone on the Reds staff would know this and do something to correct it. Maybe the Reds need to advance scout themselves.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 08-23-2006 at 09:34 AM.

John Wooden

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Fortunately, wit Harang's last start his "stuff" was really sharp. Although he repeated the same sequence over and over and over. Wow.
    LaRue caught Harang in his last start.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=260820117

In fact... when was the last time Ross caught Harang? I did quick scan on ESPN's stat page, but I don't have the patience to go back very far.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 08-23-2006 at 09:51 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    LaRue caught Harang in his last start.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=260820117
    That's true. I have never been a big fan of Larue behind the plate, other than his ability to throw out baserunners which, in today's game, is not nearly as big a deal as it was a few years back when a lot of teams ran. He is very jumpy and not a good smooth receiver of the baseball.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Actually it doesn't.

Considering how bad some of the other pitchers we have run out there and Larue only catches Harang every time.

Ross misses the best pitcher on the staff and Larue only catches the best pitcher on the staff. Pretty obvious.
    No, actually it does. The only thing thats obvious is some people haven't been paying attention. C'mon Ced, you're better than that. LaRue has caught more than Harang. He's caught Milton, he's caught EZ, and he almost always caught Claussen when he started. We all know how bad his record and ERA are this year.

If the theory that their AB's and games played are equal across the board and therefore Ross is just a better hitter [which yes, he is this season], then the record differential has to go down in credit of LaRue for the exact same reasons. The sample size is the same overall. It's not just him being the primary catcher for Harang.

As for the defense, lets count the plays Ross has made this year that the average ML catcher doesn't.

Still waiting.

I'd say Ross is slightly below average in defensive ability. LaRue is probably a notch above league average.

I'm not saying LaRue is the horse to ride to the World Series here, but let's not disparage his ability as a quality defensive catcher because he's having a bad year at the plate. Likewise, lets not let the love of the home run skew what we think David Ross' real ability level is.

All I know is this team is in a playoff chase, and its fun. That's far better than where we were last year at this time.
    Last edited by Joseph; 08-23-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I'm not saying LaRue is the horse to ride to the World Series here, but let's not disparage his ability as a quality defensive catcher because he's having a bad year at the plate. Likewise, lets not let the love of the home run skew what we think David Ross' real ability level is.

a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    I never once said he was a bad defensive catcher though.

I just said it's probably just pure luck his record is better behind the plate than Ross.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?