Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bicycle advice needed

Bicycle advice needed

I know there are some Redzoners who are avid bikers. I'm looking to become a more serious rider and will soon be in the market for a new bike.

Right now, I'm looking for an aluminum framed, entry-level road bike (not willing to shell out the bucks for ti or composite). I'm not looking to race, but I want to be able to go on some 40-50+ mile rides in the future and want a bike that can make that happen.

There are so many manufacturers out there and my knowledge is quite limited. Which ones do you recommend in terms of quality and value? I'm also looking to pick up a trainer so I can ride through the winter yucky months. Any recommendations there?

The last bike I bought has been a total disaster. It's a good bike, don't get me wrong. But it's completely wrong for what I want to do and I don't want to make the same mistake twice.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bicycle advice needed

If your looking for a road bike - most of the companies make good frames. Best bet would be the TREK 1200 - It has now got carbon fibre forks and isn't too expensive. The good thing is it has the mid-range shimano gears and crank sets which will last a long time and be more than adequate for the long rides.

The gear and cranksets are the most important so look for either shimano or campags. Campags take time to wear in but they are smoother shifters than shimanos in the long run. Although you get a better supply of parts.

Now is also the best time to get a new bike as you can get last seasons bikes for about $300-$500 cheaper.

Here's my road riding buddy's take

Road bikes -

# 1 Make sure your fitted to the frame size, if you have a bad fit it will make your back and knees hurt after long rides. It may cost you $20 to get fitted for a frame but it's well worth it.

# 2 frame material - aluminum has pretty harsh ride, steel better, carbon fiber better yet. There a Bike store on Loveland-Madera road just north of I-275 next to the VW dealership (can't remember the name) they have good selection and knowledgeable people, stay away from Montgomery Cycle, the don't have anything but over priced crap.

Now on to the brand names. Cannondale - I think you can pick up a R-500 for around 1k, Jamis, is also good, as are the Trek's is you don't mind that everybody has one. Specialized, LeMond (that's what my road bike is) are good but I think run closer to 2k.

You should buy what ever brand you fit best, not pick a brand and then try to fit the brand.

Thanks guys
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

paint

I'm not a roadie, rather a mtn biker, but let me re-iterate a couple of things those guys said.

Trek probably has the best deals going as far as the most bike for the least amount of cash. Specialized always seems to have a grade above component wise than most of their competitors at every price point, which goes a long way towards value.

As far as the sizing goes, there are several spots online you can find to help you size your bike. I would read up as much as you can, and then go see a professional fitter. With that information, as well as the help from a fitter, the two of you can come up with a fit that is perfect for you.

And speaking of deals, Late Aug, early Sept is the best time to bike shop. The 2007 models are starting to show up and they need to clear out the '06s fast.

I've been eyeballing this Kona hardtail all summer, and when the '07s get in the shop, I'll be taking it home at a nice markdown

http://www.konaworld.com/Prod/000000...BLAST_1300.jpg

Turn Off Ads?