Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Castellini on telecast last night

Castellini on telecast last night

Did anyone else hear Bob on the telecast last night? He mentioned that they are very likely to do another 1/2 price dollar dog promo for the upcoming Padres series and promised several other promotions throughout the rest of the year

He said something to the effect of we have 16 home games left and they are all going to be playoff baseball. We want to make it as easy as possible for more people to join us and enjoy this team in person.

I absolutely applaud this effort. He is always trying to move the ball forward and make it happen, which is great.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellini on telecast last night

He didn't give the details but it looks like they're really working to get folks down to the park.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

It is a shame that winning baseball alone cannot make fans come out to the games.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    It is a shame that winning baseball alone cannot make fans come out to the games.
    Yes it is, but it is also FANTASTIC to see an owner actually want to do something about it. Years of managment futility has put the team in a position where winning baseball alone is not enough.

We should all be grateful that someone who loves and understands the game is now in charge.

I agree Chip but after so many years of not winning baseball and broken promises from the owners/FO I'm not suprised that it's going to take a while to get the crowds down without a little bribery.

When Marvin came to town they had 2 or 3 seasons of going 8-8 didn't they? (I'm asking because I don't follow football at all). Did the crowds suddenly come rushing back after that first season of 8-8?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's been so long since this town saw winning anythnig on a regular basis that they've forgotten just how exciting and energetic it can be.

These 1/2 price & $1 hot dog promotions are fantastic as a way to get people into the park, experience that this isn't the same-old/same-old for the Cincinnati Reds and that playoff/winning baseball is something that everyone wants to be a part of.

I like the idea. Get 'em to the park, and remind them what it feels like to cheer for a winner.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I think more promotion nights are a great idea whether we're winning or losing. They're just fun.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

I wonder if we can expect a ticket pricing structure next year where we have higher ticket prices for "premium" dates (Cubs, Cards, weekends, bobbleheads) and lower ones for April/September games, weekdays, Pirates, etc. Many teams have gone this route and I'd specualte that this may be the direction we're headed.

I know they've done this for the Indians' series the past couple years, but it wouldn't surprise me to see more of it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I agree that it is a good idea but I just think it is a shame they have to do it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I think most fans (especially the casual fan) is still skeptical of this team. I mean, they're really not that good. Don't get me wrong...I love the Reds and I'm totally stoked about the possibility of post-season play but I don't think very many fans really have confidence in them.

Plus, it's not like the fans are turning out to watch "great" baseball. Like I said, this team is not that great. They're just fortunate that the rest of the league is weak this year.

I think we're headed in the right direction, though. The fans will turn out big-time when the FO puts a legitimate contender on the field. Look no futher than what's happened at Paul Brown Stadium if you want to see how Cincinnati fans support a winner.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I agree that it is a good idea but I just think it is a shame they have to do it.
    It's not "a shame" when P&G gives out coupons for Tide. People try it, like it, and then happily pay full price.

The Reds are simply encouraging trial. Anyone who likes green grass, fresh air, and excitement is likely to return.

Last edited by Redsland; 08-23-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I have to say this is one of the most exciting "not very good" teams I've ever seen. I agree that they're not mowing down the competition, but that makes them all the more fun to watch in a way. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with a few more weeks of games like last night's, but anyone who only wants to see "great" teams is not really someone with whom I want to share beer. This may not be a great team, but it is technically a winning one, and it is certainly an exciting one, and it only takes a couple of games -- heck, it takes reading a couple of headlines -- to know that.

I give people a lot of leeway, and I think the promotions are great, but I am getting to the point where I think it's ridiculous if they're really needed to get people out there. If you care about baseball AT ALL -- heck, if you just want a fun and, all told, relatively affordable night out -- this team is providing it right now. It should be drawing bigger crowds, period.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    It's not "a shame" when P&G gives out coupons for Tide. People try it, like, it, and then happily pay full price.

The Reds are simply encouraging trial. Anyone who likes green grass, fresh air, and excitement is likely to return.
    Bingo. IF the Reds get the fans back out to the ballpark who haven't been since the opening of GAB (or longer), and give them a taste of what it's like to be in a playoff type atmosphere it will not be hard to see those same fans pay full price next season if we are lucky enough to be in the same situation. Since RCast has been on record with saying that he is committed to making a winner, I think it's a smart marketing strategy. Besides, the later it gets into the season, the more the fans are going to be coming out whether or not there is a discount. Perhaps not to a sellout crowd, but this does a lot of good in pleasing the fans and bolstering our attendance numbers. Plus who knows how much of an effect psychologically it has on the players knowing that the hometown is excited to see them.

Not to mention that many who go down to the games are likely to spend the cash saved in other manners, all of which would lead to a more pleasurable experience at the game for them and their family and thus a more favorable percpetion of the new regime (in comparison to the old.)

Maybe I stand alone on this, but I'm not interested in the Reds selling out all their games or even the great majority. I'd like to know that I can just decide to go to the game and walk up and get tickets at a fair price.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the '99 team face similar attendance issues? As I recall, that team had very few sellouts, even into September when the team was in the thick of the pennant race.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?