Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burger King charges hurt kid for ice

Burger King charges hurt kid for ice

http://www2.townonline.com/newton/lo...ticleid=560579

Miserly Burger King charges hurt kid for ice
    By Jennifer Roy/ Daily News Tribune
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - Updated: 10:35 AM EST

Ice does not appear on Burger Kingís menu, but it should after a Newton teen limped into the Moody Street fast-food restaurant last week looking for some cool relief of a sore ankle.

John Michael Jasset staggered into the restaurant about 5 p.m. last Thursday after being hit by a car. He was thrown from his bike and also scraped his knee, arms and hands, his mother, Cheryl Jasset, said.

But when he asked for some ice to put on his ankle, he was told he had to pay for it.

The charge: 99 cents, plus 5 cents for tax. Thatís the price of a small soda.

"Iím never going to Burger King again," John Michael said.

The 16-year-old Pond Street resident said that right after the accident, he exchanged information with the driver, picked up his bike, called his friends - who hadnít seen the accident and rode ahead - on a walkie-talkie and hobbled into Burger King to nurture his injuries.

A sign on the door gives the cost of a bag of ice, but Jassetís mother says they should have just given it free.

"Itís outrageous," Cheryl Jasset said. "He wasnít dripping blood or anything, but his knee, arms and hands were cut."

She said she has tried to contact the local Burger King, but has gotten nowhere. Sheís called the companyís corporate office, too.

So far there has been no apology from the fast-food giant.

No one answered calls from a reporter at the Moody Street restaurant Monday. Officials at Burger Kingís corporate offices in Miami did not return calls, either.

"Iím never going to go to Burger King again," Cheryl Jasset said, echoing her son. "He was scared. No one helped him."

John Michael Jasset said he was afraid to ask for ice, so his friend did. The friend then paid for it because John did not have cash.

He said the cash-on-delivery ice didnít even help much, but his ankle feels better now. The driver of the car that hit him saw his two friends but not him, he said.

Cheryl Jasset said a language barrier was evident at Burger King on the night of the incident, and has been in the days since.

"There has to be some comprehension because youíre dealing with people all day long," she said.

She said she just wants answers and an apology.

Insurance, she said, will cover her sonís medical bills.

It wonít get his friendís $1.04 back, however.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Burger King charges hurt kid for ice

What if he'd been punched and given a black eye, and he asked a restaurant for a steak to cover it? Would it be an outrage if they charged him the going rate?

Is he going to be charged full price by the hospital that treats him? If so, is that an outrage?

Threatening never to go to Burger King again? Isn't that like threatening to boycott Renault?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Threatening never to go to Burger King again? Isn't that like threatening to boycott Renault?
    "I'm so hungry, I could eat at Arby's"

Wow, health care is getting bad in this country when people are going to Burger King for treatment.
    Last edited by RBA; 08-23-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Would you like fries with your tetanus shot?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    What if he'd been punched and given a black eye, and he asked a restaurant for a steak to cover it? Would it be an outrage if they charged him the going rate?

Is he going to be charged full price by the hospital that treats him? If so, is that an outrage?

Dude, its ice!
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I never understood why a cup of water was free but they charged you for a cup of ice. Go figure.
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

CincySportsFan1

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket
    I never understood why a cup of water was free but they charged you for a cup of ice. Go figure.
    Yeah, and the cup of water has ice in it too... So you get water + ice for free or just ice for $1.04.

Can't believe it's actually a news story.

First, kid doesn't even ask himself...he gets his buddy to go ask.

"Hey could I have some ice for my friend?"

"Yeah...it's 99Ę"

"But he just hurt himself on the street."

"Oh, well, in that case...it's free."

I mean, come on. The friend paid for the ice, which any friend would do...and think nothing of it. It was $1.04 for cryin' out loud.

"I'm never going to BK again!" And...??? So...???

The Mom: I think it should have been free. Lady, it was a buck! How is this even a news story? Crazy.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    How is this even a news story? Crazy.

Slow news day?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Threatening never to go to Burger King again?
    He'll live longer.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

throws 106. NBD.

Maybe he should have said it was for a duck. I know for a fact that ducks eat for free at Subway. It might be the same at BK, who knows?

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    He'll live longer.
    Unless he gets hit by a car again, mind you.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    Maybe he should have said it was for a duck. I know for a fact that ducks eat for free at Subway. It might be the same at BK, who knows?

You stole my joke!

Seriously, when's the lawsuit filed?
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The minimum-wage drones at the counter were probably told by their pimply-faced manager in a "team" meeting that ice and water must always be paid for. And now we see the downside of that policy.

Turn Off Ads?