Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Columbus And Indianapolis Zoners: WCMH's Lauren Crowner Passes Away

Columbus And Indianapolis Zoners: WCMH's Lauren Crowner Passes Away

I didn't even know she had been involved in the accident that led up to her death. So sad, such a beautiful girl, and seemed to be much more than just a "talking head", so to speak (she had so much potential). I hope that doesn't sound bad the way that I phrased that. Anyway, here's the story.

NBC 4 Remembers Lauren Crowner
    Reporter Was 25

UPDATED: 11:07 pm EDT August 23, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

We are saddened to report that our NBC 4 family has lost a valuable member of its team.

Reporter Lauren Crowner died this week at Mount Carmel West Hospital in Columbus.

Crowner, who turned 25 on Tuesday, reported and substituted as an anchor at NBC 4 from January 2006 until her passing.

"From day one, Lauren's spirit, enthusiasm and intelligence permeated the station," said Craig Robinson, NBC 4 President and General Manager. "She quickly became one of the best-loved members of our team, and we are immeasurably diminished by her passing. Our prayers are with her family and friends, whose loss we can't begin to imagine."

In her station biography, Crowner said she really couldn't imagine doing anything other than being in the news business. "It may sound cliché, but my parents and I always knew I'd end up in journalism," she said. "I talked too much as a kid not to."

"Lauren was a true treasure," said NBC 4 News Director Stan Sanders. "She loved life and helping her co-workers, friends and young people. Her passion for journalism was pure and she always strived to do her best, each and every day. Her spirit and positive approach to everything was inspiring; she will be missed by all."

Prior to joining WCMH, Crowner worked at WFLI-TV in Lafayette, Ind., where she anchored weekend newscasts. She also previously interned at Indianapolis television station WTHR.

In Lafayette, Crowner was awarded honorable mention for the best news story at the 2004 IBA Spectrum Awards.

When she joined NBC 4, Lauren said her most memorable moment on the job was meeting the many survivors of Hurricane Katrina who were displaced from their homes and reporting their stories of survival. "It put everything in perspective as both a journalist and a person," she said.

Besides her television accomplishments, Crowner was known across the state for being named the Indianapolis 500 queen in 2002.

Crowner graduated from Indiana University, where she received her journalism degree and minored in Spanish, and was a member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.

She is survived by her mother Kathryn Crowner-Coleman, her father Lionel R. Crowner, her stepfather Larry Coleman, her sister Evher, a niece and nephew and her prized dog, Angel.

Public condolences to the Crowner family may be sent by clicking here. Private condolences to the family may be e-mailed to CrownerCondolences@nbc4i.com.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Columbus And Indianapolis Zoners: WCMH's Lauren Crowner Passes Away

I live in the Indy area, and they aired a pretty good story about it the other night. Very sad.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

She is survived by her mother Kathryn Crowner-Coleman, her father Lionel R. Crowner, her stepfather Larry Coleman, her sister Evher, a niece and nephew and her prized dog, Angel.
    I have never seen a person's dog listed in an obituary and I hope I never see it again.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    I have never seen a person's dog listed in an obituary and I hope I never see it again.
    If the dog was that important to her, who cares if they put it in the obit?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

And why is that? Because you don't like dogs? Some peoples dogs or cats are as important to them as a kid might be to someone else.

Nothing like finding fault in someones obit even though they just died. Well done.

My wife's grandmother had her dog in her obit a few weeks ago, so considering this is the second one I've seen it can't be that uncommon.

My friend's grandmother listed her two cats in hers. Who cares what's listed in the obit? I don't see why that should bother anyone.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a dog in an obit. Some people, dogs are all they have.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Guess I am wrong then, I just don't like assigning human value to animals.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I heard this story this morning on a competing channel.

I was not familiar with this young lady but wow...very sad.

As for the dog in the obit....

My dog is my second best friend on earth...who else will ALWAYS be happy to see you when you've had a crappy day? Who else will sit right beside you when things may be uncomfortable or tough...VERY FEW and FAR BETWEEN.

People could learn alot by being as HUMAN as a dog.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    I heard this story this morning on a competing channel.

I was not familiar with this young lady but wow...very sad.

As for the dog in the obit....

My dog is my second best friend on earth...who else will ALWAYS be happy to see you when you've had a crappy day? Who else will sit right beside you when things may be uncomfortable or tough...VERY FEW and FAR BETWEEN.

People could learn alot by being as HUMAN as a dog.
    We could also learn that they have no idea who the hell you are.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?