Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a solid pitcher for next year?

a solid pitcher for next year?

I think that next year we should build on the solid play and support from this year. We need to make a strong push for several pitchers next year. One being Dontrelle Willis. He would be someone who we can get, and has a tremondous upside. Also we should go after Barry Zito, another solid pitcher who can help eat up innings and win 12-15 games next year. It would be silly to think that several of the staff will put up identical or even better numbers this year in that ball park. Arroyo isn't fooling many people these days and Milton has never been real sharp. EE is a minor league pitcher at best, and old man MC is 36 years old. Claussen has never lived up to his potential, and the only 2 quality starters that I feel comfortable with is Harang, and Lohse. I think that we will not get better until we get serious and go after real pitchers, not rental players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: a solid pitcher for next year?

The reason we don't go after real pitchers is because we can't outbid NY, Boston, and LA. There is no way we can afford a Zito or Willis especially when we're still on the hook for Milton next year. The best hope for the Reds is to go after a mid-tier pitcher like an Arroyo and continue to try to develop pitching from within.

And I think you meant EZ not EE, our third baseman. All of these acronyms get confusing.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Willis and Zito? Sounds like a great idea!

Can Cast afford them both? not sure.

BTW, it probably would be silly to think that Willis and Zito both would put up their "usual" numbers at GABP.
    sorry we're boring

Willis or Zito would be nice but I doubt we can afford them? I'm also comfortable with Arroyo and Milton (for the most part), as well as Harang and Lohse. If we had Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Milton and picked up a solid #4 or #5 to put at the back of the rotation with Milton I would be ok with our starters.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Zito will command way too much money.

Someone like Tomo Ohka to plug in at the back end of the order wouldn't be too bad. I also wouldn't mind someone like Ted Lilly.

I agree with joshnky, I don't think we're going to win a bidding war on any of the true aces. I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation that looked something like this though
    1.Harang
    2.Arroyo
    3.Lohse
    4.Milton
    5.Ohka/Lilly

IIRC, Willis is still under Florida's control, so we would need to trade for him. The package we'd have to give up will be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337
    Zito will command way too much money.

Someone like Tomo Ohka to plug in at the back end of the order wouldn't be too bad. I also wouldn't mind someone like Ted Lilly.

I agree with joshnky, I don't think we're going to win a bidding war on any of the true aces. I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation that looked something like this though
    1.Harang
    2.Arroyo
    3.Lohse
    4.Milton
    5.Ohka/Lilly
    I like that idea. Ohka has a ground out/fly out ratio of about 1 and Lilly's is down around 0.9 with 23 homers allowed (and I believe Toronto's stadium is more pitcher friendly) so I'd prefer Ohka of the two.

I understand the cost part of what I am saying, but wouldn't it be nice to open up next year with this rotation:

Willis/Zito
    Harang
    Milton
    Lohse
    Arroyo

OR

Willis
    Harang
    Zito
    Lohse
    Milton/Arroyo
    Last edited by jamess697; 08-24-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Willis
    Harang
    Zito
    Lohse
    Milton/Arroyo
    That would give us three #1 starters and a World Series title. It would be nice, but has a 0% chance at happening.

the first step is to lock up Harang

I'd also consider a 2-year deal for Lohse, buying out 1 year of FA

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    That would give us three #1 starters and a World

Series title. It would be nice, but has a 0% chance at happening.
    There's always Fantasy Baseball

Along with Zito and Willis, why don't we see if we can bring in Big Papi to play first.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    Along with Zito and Willis, why don't we see if we can bring in Big Papi to play first.
    Nah, I think it might be easier for us to get Pujols.

EZ is not a minor league pitcher at best. At best he might be a #3 starter. He hasn't hit his best years yet, and it looks like he may have been hurt during his recent rough stretch.

You don't give up on 23 year old starters like him IMO.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    Nah, I think it might be easier for us to get Pujols.
    and Beltran would sure look good in CF
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?