Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds almost set to announce their new annoucer?

Reds almost set to announce their new annoucer?

Didn't see this posted, but its from Lance, per his 1350 profile:

REDS CLOSE TO NAMING THEIR MAN
    It is my understanding that the Reds search for their next broadcaster is not only underway....but nearing completion. I believe the next Reds broadcaster can be heard this Saturday afternoon on Fox 19 as the Cubs face the Cards in St Louis...........Thom Brennaman. Don't be surprised if the announcement is made by the end of the season.........IF not sooner

If this is true, I'm thinking Cast already had this up his sleeve prior to letting Stevie know that he'd be let go.

Edit, just notice that this is on the other forum

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds almost set to announce their new annoucer?

Paul Daugherty told me (via E-mail at the time) that Thom wanted the job when Steve was hired. I was amazed since I felt Thom was doing very well as the only broadcaster the D-backs ever had but Paul said he was willing to take a cut to come to Cincy. So yes, I suspect this has been in the works for awhile and it was bogus for Marty to say he knew nothing about Steve being canned or who his replacement might be. I wonder how the Reds could sign him for next year while still under contract to Az?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Paul Daugherty told me (via E-mail at the time) that Thom wanted the job when Steve was hired. I was amazed since I felt Thom was doing very well as the only broadcaster the D-backs ever had but Paul said he was willing to take a cut to come to Cincy. So yes, I suspect this has been in the works for awhile and it was bogus for Marty to say he knew nothing about Steve being canned or who his replacement might be. I wonder how the Reds could sign him for next year while still under contract to Az?
    I'll tell you, I'm shocked. My 18 year old son kept saying this and I kept responding that Thom is making way too much money with Fox to make this move. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    After making fun of Lance on the RL thread - I think, and I have no confirmation of anything, that TB has an "out" in the Arizona Contract to take the Reds Job.

Also, Marty's got grandkids now. They sure are cute at that age.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I have no insights as to whether or not this is true.

But I think this would be fairly huge news in the Cincinnati area and be big headlines. I would imagine the general casual Reds fan would like this move and greet it favorably. I personally could see Marty easing out of the first seat over the next few years and Thom taking over being the main guy. Marty wouldn't do it for anyone else but would for Thom.

And I'd be envious of Marty and Thom working together and spending their summers together, travelling from city to city doing baseball and being home at the same time. I'd love to do that with my son.

Pay attention to the open sky

This would be awesome.

Congrats if true.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Cast does not strike me as a man that would let Fox's national game of the week get in the way if he really wanted Thom, and Thom really wanted to do both the Reds and the Fox thing.

It would be what, 20 saturdays a season? I don't think Fox has a national game of the week the entire season. Certainly you could get Chris Welsch to fill in on the broad cast a handful of times, or Joe. Pic seemed to handle himself well enough on the TV side up in Milwaukee, I'm guessing he could fill in when Welsch was doing the radio.

As a temporary fill-in I'm sure the Reds have plenty of options. They could even tap into former players like Tom Browning from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by medford
    Cast does not strike me as a man that would let Fox's national game of the week get in the way if he really wanted Thom, and Thom really wanted to do both the Reds and the Fox thing.

It would be what, 20 saturdays a season? I don't think Fox has a national game of the week the entire season. Certainly you could get Chris Welsch to fill in on the broad cast a handful of times, or Joe. Pic seemed to handle himself well enough on the TV side up in Milwaukee, I'm guessing he could fill in when Welsch was doing the radio.

As a temporary fill-in I'm sure the Reds have plenty of options. They could even tap into former players like Tom Browning from time to time.

I think next year FOX has 24 games of the week.

Interesting idea that instead of just using Joe they have 'guest' announcers like former players. Certainly something to consider.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I've got a friend who did an interview on television with Marty and Thom down on WOUB in Athens (Thom's alma mater). I think it was the "first ever" of them together.

Here's the link:

http://www.woub.org/intouch/Marty_Br...brennaman.html

Edit: Note the broadcast runs about 28 minutes.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 08-24-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Paul O'Neill
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Paul O'Neill
    Is that a vote, a guess, or inside information?

Or are we randomly naming players who were better after they left the Reds?

Paul Konerko!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Is that a vote, a guess, or inside information?

Or are we randomly naming players who were better after they left the Reds?

Paul Konerko!
    Pokey... uhm, oh, nevermind...
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I have heard speculation that they will be pairing Marty up with Neon Deion after Steve goes.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Pokey... uhm, oh, nevermind...

I think he can't b/c of that "injury" that keeps him out of the booth.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Paul O'Neill
    Paul still owns a house in Cincinnati and lives here when it isn't doing work for the Yankees.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?