Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Reviews

Movie Reviews

How about a thread where we critique movies we've seen recently? Sounds like a good idea to me, so I'm starting it.

Here we can tell other posters movies they should see or movies that they should stay away from, because we weren't smart enough to.

First up:

Hero

Starring:

Jet Li
    Tony Leung Chiu Wai
    Maggie Cheung
    Ziyi Zhang
    Daoming Chen
    Donnie Yen

Directed by:

Yimou Zhang

Savafan rating: 10/10

This is the type of movie that we don't see here in the U.S. anymore. Beautiful cinematography, a great story, haunting score and wonderful performances by all of the above mentioned actors make this one a must see. The DVD provides an English dubbed version as well as original Mandarin with English subtitles (which is the way I watched it). This is the story, told in flashbacks, of how Nameless (Jet Li) defeated three assassins who were plotting to kill the King of Qin in pre-unified China during the time of the five kingdoms. I can't say enough about this film, it truly is a masterpiece of filmmaking that has to be viewed to be appreciated.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Movie Reviews

Stir of Echoes

Starring:

Kevin Bacon
    Kathryn Erbe
    Illeana Douglas
    Kevin Dunn
    Jennifer Morrison
    Zachary David Cope

Directed by:

David Koepp

Savafan rating 8/10

This is a great little ghost story similar to The Sixth Sense but even more frightening in my opinion. Kevin Bacon turns in one of his finest performances in this movie, and Kathryn Erbe, whose only other film I can recall seeing was The Mighty Ducks turns in an equally strong performance playing the wife and mother of a husband and son who seem to see a ghost in their home. Nice little suspenseful film with a few frightening scenes, but overall an enjoyable movie watching experience.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Young Sherlock Holmes

Starring:

Nicholas Rowe
    Alan Cox
    Sophie Ward
    Anthony Higgins

Directed by:
    Barry Levinson

Savan rating: 7/10

Steven Spielberg produced this movie and Chris Columbus wrote it. I recalled enjoying it when I was younger, so I snatched up the DVD for $5.99 and watched it tonight. Still an enjoyable film, although I now find it a bit more predictable than I did when it first came out in 1985. Take the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson and put them into a story that is part Harry Potter and part Indiana Jones, and you get this movie. Fun to watch again, and surprised that I don't recall having seen any of the actors prior to this film or since. Not bad for the $5.99 that I spent on it, and I'm sure that it will get some repeated viewings.

Troy

Starring:

Brad Pitt
    Eric Bana
    Orlando Bloom
    Sean Bean
    Brian Cox
    Diane Kruger
    Brendan Gleeson
    Julie Christie
    Peter O'Toole

Directed by:

Wolfgang Petersen

Savafan rating: 7/10

This is an epic the way Hollywood used to make them. Large sets, beautiful cast, beautiful costumes, great battle scenes...what's not to like? The only problems in this movie for me was some of the casting choices. Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom range from wooden to simply unbelievable, but Eric Bana's performance makes up what theirs lacks. Also, you have one race of people that all speak with many different accents. I found that to be a little odd. Overall though, great action, a bit of romance and some drama make for a fun popcorn movie that is pleasing on the eyes.
    Last edited by savafan; 02-15-2006 at 09:26 AM.

Nothing on Curious George?????

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

Survery says...CRAP

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Survery says...CRAP

not to my 6 yr old and 4 yr old who ask me on a daily basis to take them to the movie.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

I haven't seen it personally, but my mom, sister and two nieces went and saw it last weekend, and they all said it was a very good film, and my mom and sister were as entertained by it as the girls were.

We recently watched Red Eye and Just Like Heaven.

My wife and I like both a lot. Red Eye is a psycological thriller by Wes Craven--his first non-horror attempt to my knowledge. Plot was not all that plausible but I usually don't care. Bottom line for me is always: did it entertain me. And this one did. I give it 7 stars out of 10

And Just Like Heaven is a romantic comedy (with Reese Witherspoon). Fun and clever. I'd probably give it 8 stars out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Red Eye
    Red Eye is in my collection. It was fun, and Rachel McAdams is definately easy on the eyes, plus I think Cillian Murphy is a tremendous up and coming actor. It was a check your brain at the door and have some popcorn thriller, and fairly short. I think it ran an hour and sixteen minutes until the ending credits started to roll.

I'd give it a 6/10.

Oh, and btw max, Wes Craven directed a little film called Music of the Heart starring Meryl Streep as a music teacher a couple years back. Good dramatic film worth checking out as well.

Have you seen Waiting yet? If so, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    ...and Rachel McAdams is definately easy on the eyes...
    You got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Have you seen Waiting yet? If so, thoughts?
    I haven't seen this one yet, but perhaps someone else here has.

The last movie me and my wife saw at the theater was Tristan and Isolde. Bleh........typical chick flick with the usual ending. It did have an interesting twist to it that made it somewhat bearable. I would give it 4 stars out of ten.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Just saw Wedding Crashers, I thought it was great for about the first 90 minutes, then it went another 30 and became boring and predictable. Owen Wilson is his typical annoying self, who like his brother Luke, seems to play the same guy in every movie. Vince Vaughn was really funny, and yes Rachel McAdams is easy on the eyes. Christopher Walken is always good. This movie made me laugh out loud often.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?