Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You have to be kidding me! This is just awful!

Re: You have to be kidding me! This is just awful!

Quote Originally Posted by lo ryder
    I never heard of The Onion until now, this is pathetic. These people should get off their butts and make a real living.
    The Onion typically provides some of the funniest and satirical pieces you'll ever see. The people at the Onion work very hard at what they do.

That being said, this piece just sucked.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski
    So you're saying that the topic of the piece was fine, but the writing was poor.
    We'll laugh at anything until it hits too close to home, and then it "crosses the line" and isn't funny anymore.

Like Johnny said, there's nothing that should be off-topic for humor. Israel, after all, held a Holocaust cartoon competition. They key is to do it appropriately--that's where the Onion failed.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    We'll laugh at anything until it hits too close to home, and then it "crosses the line" and isn't funny anymore.

Like Johnny said, there's nothing that should be off-topic for humor. Israel, after all, held a Holocaust cartoon competition. They key is to do it appropriately--that's where the Onion failed.
    No...they did not.

That was in Iran and they had over 1200 submissions which are now in a museum that boast the holocaust never happened.

SICK!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I also lost my father to cancer. Some things cannot be joked about. Anyone who has been through that experience knows what I mean.

Anyone think a Non-Reds fan might find this a little funny?? I can see where the "humor" is coming from, but I agree that its pretty sick.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    Anyone think a Non-Reds fan might find this a little funny?? I can see where the "humor" is coming from, but I agree that its pretty sick.
    Yep, imagine the chuckles here if it somehow involved Bonds (a regular basbeall whipping boy in these parts)

Satire is supposed to be a sharp knife, this one's as dull as a butter knife, that said The Onion is a crack-up 90% of the time, but even the best comedy sometimes fails horribly for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    I think only anyone who did not know of the illnesses his parents are now battling could find this funny. Perhaps a year or two ago when he was on the DL, this might have been worth a chuckle (if anything involving cancer, real or imagined) can.

I don't think anyone would see much of a joke in that article. Even objectively, it sucks.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yep, imagine the chuckles here if it somehow involved Bonds (a regular basbeall whipping boy in these parts)
    Perhaps I'm just too naive, but I don't know that anybody would laugh at an article involving Bonds having cancer, after his dad died of it. At least I hope nobody would, though I guess nothing should surprise me.

Cancer is just not a good subject for humor, especially in situations like these.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    No...they did not.
    Yes...they did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli...rtoons_Contest

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder
    Cancer is just not a good subject for humor, especially in situations like these.
    I agree, however the trend of snarky journalism and needle pointing to be the funniest had led us down this current path, pick up a weekly in any major city and read the attempts of all the writers to be the most clever person in the room.

I for one am not surprised by it, annoyed yes, disgusted yes, but not surprised at all.

Yea, im usually a fan of the Onion but that A) isnt humorous B)taking advantage of the Griffey family's serious health concerns

Horrible.

I emailed editorial@theonion.com Everyone should.

I love The Onion, but that article was disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I agree, however the trend of snarky journalism and needle pointing to be the funniest had led us down this current path, pick up a weekly in any major city and read the attempts of all the writers to be the most clever person in the room.

I for one am not surprised by it, annoyed yes, disgusted yes, but not surprised at all.
    I agree that the trend is there, but I don't think The Onion and this article in particular are an indictment of journalism in general.

While it's true that you can't throw a rock without hitting a journalist who fancies him/herself the next Jon Stewart, this article stinks on it's own, independent of that trend. It's simply pushing outrageousness in place of real, thoughtful humor.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?