Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds make the playoffs, who is the team's three man rotation?

GOREDSGO32

If the Reds make the playoffs, who is the team's three man rotation?

With extra rest between games in a series, I think in a NLDS you only need 3 starters really right? The playoffs would give the Reds a MAJOR advantage, because the 5th starter and often the 4th have been completely terrible most of the year - and on good nights Harang, Arroyo, and now it seems Lohse can compete with any team in baseball. Those three gotta be the three playoff starters at this point in time don't ya think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds make the playoffs, who is the team's three man rotation?

I think in the Division Series you definitely can because there is a potential for the games to be more spread out to accomodate television for the number of games to be played by all the teams. Once a team moves into the LCS, I think you need a #4 starter once.

I think you have to run with Harang, Arroyo, and Lohse as it stands today. And I do that the entire playoffs, personally. Those guys can make it happen.

I would also get the starters out as early as possible if I got myself a big lead.

Right now it's a no brainer. If Lohse started to struggle, I still think I'd start him over Milton.

It's too bad the Reds don't have another starter though. It would be nice to have Lohse as an extra RH out of the pen in the playoffs.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    It's too bad the Reds don't have another starter though. It would be nice to have Lohse as an extra RH out of the pen in the playoffs.

It would be nice to let Homer come out of the pen in the playoffs just joshing ya... However in a 5 game set you only need 3 starters and right now Lohse would have to be the guy on post. If somehow we made it out of the 1st round I would not hesitate to start Milton in the opener of the NLCS. Giving the other 3 an additional day of rest. You saw what Milton did after he gave up those 2 early shots last night... He can still bring it (usually its just up in the zone and out over the plate )
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Depends where each game would be held. I have no problem with Milton starting a game at Shea or Dodger Stadium. In a 5 game set, how does it go? 2 away, 2 home, 1 away? Or is it 2 home then 3 away?

Heck, can you imagine that? It's the end of August and we're talking about the reds playing post season baseball. Funny world we live in.

bailey, harang, arroyo will take us to the WS
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

Quote Originally Posted by dfs
    Heck, can you imagine that? It's the end of August and we're talking about the reds playing post season baseball. Funny world we live in.
    And Cyclone just bought playoff tickets. Well, sorta.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Harang, Arroyo, Lohse/Milton

Of course Narron will probably go Coffey, Weathers, and pick up Rick White on waivers in the last week to pitch the thrid game.
    Ron Popeil apologist.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    I think you have to run with Harang, Arroyo, and Lohse as it stands today. And I do that the entire playoffs, personally. Those guys can make it happen.

I would also get the starters out as early as possible if I got myself a big lead.
    Agreed. The way things are right now, that's not even a tough decision. But, we all know that things can change.

Lohse, Milton and Arroyo all have postseason experience. In a 3 man rotation, if Lohse keeps pitching so well, I'd definitely go with him, Harang and Arroyo. But I would be comfortable with Milton starting, not as a #1 of course, but as a guy that could keep us close with another team's 3 or 4 starter, especially in the NL

Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Milton ..... I like Lohse !!

I thought I saw somewhere that beginning this year, even the first round is best-of-7.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    I thought I saw somewhere that beginning this year, even the first round is best-of-7.
    more boozin' !! :all_cohol

Turn Off Ads?