Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: 2 questions for you?

  1. #1
    NPCoach
    Guest

    2 questions for you?

    1-What are the chances Arroyo will be back. I haven't heard anything about contract so I assume a) they aren't interested in him coming back b) new ownership doesn't talk contract until after the season. I am guessing someone will overpay for him, thus, taking us out of the picture.

    2-Will the Reds be a player at all in the future for free agent difference-makers?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,258

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    I am pretty sure he is already under contract for next season....

  4. #3
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by NPCoach
    1-What are the chances Arroyo will be back. I haven't heard anything about contract so I assume a) they aren't interested in him coming back b) new ownership doesn't talk contract until after the season. I am guessing someone will overpay for him, thus, taking us out of the picture.

    2-Will the Reds be a player at all in the future for free agent difference-makers?

    1) Arroyo has 2 more years (under the Reds control) on his current contract. So, that is why you haven't heard anything on him. He's not going anywhere. He can't be a free agent until after the 2008 season

    2) I would think with the salaries they have shed this season and the pending free agents they currently have and won't resign that the Reds will have some money to play with this offseason. Can't tell you if it will all be spent in one place or not. We'll just have to wait and see what Wayne deems the priorities to be.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  5. #4
    Member SultanOfSwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    329

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    1) Yes, under contract (very cheaply) through 2008.

    2) We will be very big players in the FA market. Probably the most active off-season team. I don't think that outside of Torri Hunter any big names may come here. The top names just aren't worth the money. Krivsky realizes we are better off with several very good players (Okha, Armas, Radke, A. Gonzalez, etc.) than one or two excellent players and fillers. I also believe we will see some important off-season trades.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    534

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    I never thought about Hunter. That would be a great pickup. I think he would like playing in GABP. Griffey slides to right, Freel to 2nd, Phillips to short. That would be good. But, I'm more than focused on this year's team. I'm loving what's going on.

  7. #6
    Old Red Guard Reject
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,419

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Bronson Arroyo p
    3 years/$11.25M (2006-08)

    acquired in trade 3/06, with Boston also paying $1.5M to Cincinnati

    avoided arbitration 1/06 ($4.2M-$2.95M)
    $0.75M signing bonus
    06:$2.75M, 07:$3.8M, 08:$3.95M

    1 year/$1.85M (2005), re-signed 1/05, avoided arbitration
    1 year/$0.3325M (2004)
    agent: Gregg Clifton, Terry Bross, Gaylord Sports Management

    ML service: 3.150
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

  8. #7
    Member Z-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    501

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by EKURed
    I never thought about Hunter. That would be a great pickup. I think he would like playing in GABP. Griffey slides to right, Freel to 2nd, Phillips to short. That would be good. But, I'm more than focused on this year's team. I'm loving what's going on.
    I honestly think that Freel is to good of an outfielder to be moved to second. I do understand that is his natural position, but his speed makes him a great outfielder. The team would be better off finding a 2B/SS in the offseason IMO.

    On the other hand I do have a hunch that Adam Dunn will be traded in the offseason. So maybe Hunter wouldn't be a bad pick up after all.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,757

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    I honestly think that Freel is to good of an outfielder to be moved to second. I do understand that is his natural position, but his speed makes him a great outfielder. The team would be better off finding a 2B/SS in the offseason IMO.

    On the other hand I do have a hunch that Adam Dunn will be traded in the offseason. So maybe Hunter wouldn't be a bad pick up after all.
    I agree on freel and really doubt they trade dunn. Basically though, I think Freel gives them a lot of options. Pick up a 2B, move phillips to SS. Pick up a SS, leave Freel and Phillips alone. Pick up an OF, move Freel to 2B, Phillips to SS

  10. #9
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,171

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    On the other hand I do have a hunch that Adam Dunn will be traded in the offseason. So maybe Hunter wouldn't be a bad pick up after all.
    Trading Dunn would be bonehead and I don't think the Reds do boneheaded anymore.

  11. #10
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Trading Dunn would be bonehead and I don't think the Reds do boneheaded anymore.
    I could very easily see Dunn being moved for pitching this offseason with Griffey going to left, Freel/Denorfia going to center, and the team going out to sign a RF bat in FA.

    It'd be a very Twinsy move -- improve the OF defense, improve the pitching, sacrafice a slice of offense.

    Not saying it's a good idea -- just saying it's not quite as out of the realm of possibility as most people would like to believe.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  12. #11
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,586

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I could very easily see Dunn being moved for pitching this offseason with Griffey going to left, Freel/Denorfia going to center, and the team going out to sign a RF bat in FA.

    It'd be a very Twinsy move -- improve the OF defense, improve the pitching, sacrafice a slice of offense.

    Not saying it's a good idea -- just saying it's not quite as out of the realm of possibility as most people would like to believe.
    The thing that makes me think it probably won't happen is that Krivsky's first move as GM was to sign Dunn to a three year deal.

    That tells me a lot.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  13. #12
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    The thing that makes me think it probably won't happen is that Krivsky's first move as GM was to sign Dunn to a three year deal.

    That tells me a lot.
    Cost-certainty makes a player like him much easier to trade in an off-season, where most small/mid-market teams set a payroll number to hit and base their aquisitions off that. I'd imagine that makes him more attractive to more teams as opposed to the limited teams that will take the risk of acquiring him and potentially going to arbitration with a 40+ HR / 100 RBI guy.

    Plus, it's not like the dollar figure he is due differs greatly from what he'd get on a 1 year as a non-FA eligible player anyway.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  14. #13
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,586

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Cost-certainty makes a player like him much easier to trade in an off-season, where most small/mid-market teams set a payroll number to hit and base their aquisitions off that. I'd imagine that makes him more attractive to more teams as opposed to the limited teams that will take the risk of acquiring him and potentially going to arbitration with a 40+ HR / 100 RBI guy.

    Plus, it's not like the dollar figure he is due differs greatly from what he'd get on a 1 year as a non-FA eligible player anyway.
    I knew you would say that, and you're right.

    I just wonder if Wayne doesn't have a significantly high opinion of Dunn, considering it was number one on his very long list of things to do.

    He recognized an important cog, and made him his first order of business.

    Another thing that jumps out at me is that he could have come away with a huge haul if he would have traded Dunn at the deadline, but he didn't.

    I think the silence on the Dunn trade front is deafening.

    Doesn't mean that won't change during the off season, though, but I wouldn't put any money on it acutally happening.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  15. #14
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    I honestly think that Freel is to good of an outfielder to be moved to second. I do understand that is his natural position, but his speed makes him a great outfielder. The team would be better off finding a 2B/SS in the offseason IMO.

    On the other hand I do have a hunch that Adam Dunn will be traded in the offseason. So maybe Hunter wouldn't be a bad pick up after all.
    IIRC, Freel once mentioned that OF is his natural position.

    I don't think Adam will be traded. At least, not unless it's a slobberknocker and I'm not sure the Reds need slobberknocker (as someone else said).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  16. #15
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,052

    Re: 2 questions for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by EKURed
    I never thought about Hunter.
    He's a Twin. I may be wrong, but I just kind of assumed that he would be here next year!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25